Cultivated Reef

AI Prime or Kessil A160

Brayreef

HarryPotter

it looks very sleek now, but it was a PITA.

What was a PITA? Removing the rim?

Im searching fore and aft for more builds of the RL-45, with no luck. Ugh! Here is my plan

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-05%20at%205.51.3

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman

What was a PITA? Removing the rim?

Im searching fore and aft for more builds of the RL-45, with no luck. Ugh! Here is my plan

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-05%20at%205.51.3

Yes removing the rim! I was too lazy to read old threads that gave tips on how to remove the rim, so I went freestyle with a kitchen knife and a dremmel. I could have heated up the rim with a hair dryer to remove the silicone easier, but I used muscle power and will instead. I broke quite the sweat doing it!

Your plans look really nice BTW.

Totally misread. I thought the conversation was for a larger tank, like 30-45 gallon. The AI prime or any Kessil is MORE than enough for that size lol :)

What do you think of the XR30w Pro on a : 26.5" x 21" x 19" (tall) tank? Im hoping I can use it on the JBJ RL-45 I will be setting up soon.

I also have a AI Nano, which would be AMAZING for the 10g. However the Prime seems to be very similar wattage wise

A XR30W with the wide angle 120 lenses is what I'm using on my tank. It is 36x20x14. I've seen people with it on 30inch wide tanks and Ecotech has their PAR readings at 48x48 I believe. So you should be fine.

HarryPotter

A XR30W with the wide angle 120 lenses is what I'm using on my tank. It is 36x20x14. I've seen people with it on 30inch wide tanks and Ecotech has their PAR readings at 48x48 I believe. So you should be fine.

Thanks, don't want to hijack the thread but do you think Ill need the wide angle lenses? I currently have stock.

Thanks, don't want to hijack the thread but do you think Ill need the wide angle lenses? I currently have stock.

Hard to say. I've seen where people use them over a 30x30 cube without the wide angle lenses. I think you will be fine without them but for $25 you would be fine for sure. It cuts the PAR in half almost but the lights still output 600+ PAR with them on. More then enough to fry corals.

The AI Nano would be good for the 10G but a Prime is full spectrum which is better. I liked my AI Nanos a lot. Cool light with a cool control method. The Prime is just the improved design basically.

P.S. get rid of the EcoTech battery backup and get one of the Belkin backups and the $3 cable from Ecotech. Save money and space to get the exact same thing.

HarryPotter

P.S. get rid of the EcoTech battery backup and get one of the Belkin backups and the $3 cable from Ecotech. Save money and space to get the exact same thing.

Say again? Looking online the Belkin backup is $129 and only 7.2ah. Are you looking at something else? Because the Ecotech has higher specs

Say again? Looking online the Belkin backup is $129 and only 7.2ah. Are you looking at something else? Because the Ecotech has higher specs

I guess it depends on what you are backing up. I'd assume the Vortech powerhead. People are reporting 30 hours of backup time on it. CLICK

HarryPotter

Aha thanks! Seems pretty easy, a 12v battery with the $3 Ecotech Cable and a $12 float charger.

The capability is virtually limitless as well, just add another battery in parallel. Hmm...

Im still debating; the Ecotech BBU is much cleaner and the brand is known for quality, it might be worth it later.

Anyway Im not there yet- I need to get the InTank Media Baskets, 50lbs ReefCleaners Rock, and 50lbs sand before that so my wallet is practically floating away as we speak

Aha thanks! Seems pretty easy, a 12v battery with the $3 Ecotech Cable and a $12 float charger.

The capability is virtually limitless as well, just add another battery in parallel. Hmm...

Im still debating; the Ecotech BBU is much cleaner and the brand is known for quality, it might be worth it later.

Anyway Im not there yet- I need to get the InTank Media Baskets, 50lbs ReefCleaners Rock, and 50lbs sand before that so my wallet is practically floating away as we speak

No it is a nice small enclosed Belkin unit. Smaller than a box of Mac and Cheese.

Your wallet is floating away? haha. I bought 2 new MP10wQDs and a Radion the other day on top of an Apex and some other crap. I forgot how expensive it is to start a tank. I still don't have a tank! hahaa

HarryPotter

No it is a nice small enclosed Belkin unit. Smaller than a box of Mac and Cheese.

Your wallet is floating away? haha. I bought 2 new MP10wQDs and a Radion the other day on top of an Apex and some other crap. I forgot how expensive it is to start a tank. I still don't have a tank! hahaa

*bows down*

Luckily I have most equipment already bought from the NanoCube, including

• Radion XR30w Pro Gen3
  • Vortech MP10wQD
  • ReefLink
  • 2x Cobalt 1200
  • BRS Deluxe Reactor
  • DC Return Pump
  • Neo-therm 300w Heater
  • JBJ C-Breeze Fan
  • Nano-Glow LED
  • Apex jr. with EB8

I still need

• Radion RMS Mount ($99)
  • Sump (Advanced acrylics, ~$300)
  • ​Assorted Plumbing
  • 50lbs ReefCleaners Rock
  • ~50lbs new aragonite sand

And want:

$999,999 worth of equipment :0

reefernanoman

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/351695-ai-prime-wifi-led/page-24

take a look at that thread... its been around for years it seems now. lol tons of comments, reviews, discussions etc about the prime. So it can give you a good ball park idea on what people think about it.

For years? It sure does! But it's been running only since September 2014. That's when I found out about it. Now some people are mad because of the "PAR" issue. It still seems like a nice light despite the "false advertising". But I would still go with the Kessil. Some people say that the PRIME has no Royal blue LED's? I couldn't live with that for sure!

CatfishSoupFTW

For years? It sure does! But it's been running only since September 2014. That's when I found out about it. Now some people are mad because of the "PAR" issue. It still seems like a nice light despite the "false advertising". But I would still go with the Kessil. Some people say that the PRIME has no Royal blue LED's? I couldn't live with that for sure!

Yeah, Kessil is worth imo over the prime. Out of the gate, it didnt have any issues as said prime. lol though I heard their customer service was prime ( budum cha) but jokes aside customer service peeps - im never interested in messaging to begin with. hahahah

The Kessil sure as hell as deep blue. an immense amount of it! and the best part about the new 160we is that its controllable in color temp. The 10K is pretty warm in contrast with the deep deep actinic. And it dials so smoothly, you pretty much have every value between 10k-22k or however blue it gets.

As for those talking about full spectrum lights... I dunno. such a conflicting topic. One day youll have Radions with more colors than the rainbow and beyond..... but in the end, white and blue will still grow very well. That and it aint no kessil ! xD A mix of full spectrum and dense matrix imo would be my preferred combo. But the over priced generic LED clusters just dont seem worth to me. Not to say they dont do their research - but I hope you know what I mean. :P

MAke a poll! but chances are, Kessssiiilll. Are you going to an LFS to check it out? ( referring to OP)

reefernanoman

Yeah, Kessil is worth imo over the prime. Out of the gate, it didnt have any issues as said prime. lol though I heard their customer service was prime ( budum cha) but jokes aside customer service peeps - im never interested in messaging to begin with. hahahah

The Kessil sure as hell as deep blue. an immense amount of it! and the best part about the new 160we is that its controllable in color temp. The 10K is pretty warm in contrast with the deep deep actinic. And it dials so smoothly, you pretty much have every value between 10k-22k or however blue it gets.

As for those talking about full spectrum lights... I dunno. such a conflicting topic. One day youll have Radions with more colors than the rainbow and beyond..... but in the end, white and blue will still grow very well. That and it aint no kessil ! xD A mix of full spectrum and dense matrix imo would be my preferred combo. But the over priced generic LED clusters just dont seem worth to me. Not to say they dont do their research - but I hope you know what I mean. :P

MAke a poll! but chances are, Kessssiiilll. Are you going to an LFS to check it out? ( referring to OP)

With my other LED'S, I didn't want any surface agitation, but with Kessil, it's the other way around! Shimmer! I can see some growth in my superman monti only after a week and a half, and that's not even mentioning the amazing color.
reefernanoman

I think that it's obvious that when my LED'S need to be changed in a few years, Kessil will be my choice most likely.

reefernanoman

OK, foot in my mouth, but it only has two anyways, which is still not enough for my taste.

I believe that I'm going use the money to just upgrade my current 3 gallon to a Fusion 20 gallon! just makes more sense for now and allows for more options in the future.

I believe that I'm going use the money to just upgrade my current 3 gallon to a Fusion 20 gallon! just makes more sense for now and allows for more options in the future.

reefernanoman

What light are you going to use for it? I think that the PAR 30 alone would not be enough.

My LFS has a kessil 160 over the Fusion 20 and it looks AMAZING.

What light are you going to use for it? I think that the PAR 30 alone would not be enough.

Setting up the 20 will be a long process.

I plan on keeping the 3 gallon with the par 30 until I have all the pieces for the 20 gallon complete. If all else fails, I might just throw in a couple fish with no coral until I purchase a sufficient light for the 20 gallon.

CatfishSoupFTW

My LFS has a kessil 160 over the Fusion 20 and it looks AMAZING.

Setting up the 20 will be a long process.

I plan on keeping the 3 gallon with the par 30 until I have all the pieces for the 20 gallon complete. If all else fails, I might just throw in a couple fish with no coral until I purchase a sufficient light for the 20 gallon.

my only concern or scare with those fusion tanks is them exploding.... literally. lol i think all that is finally done and dealt with but... D: but, a kessil and fusion would look pretty bomb. Im not much of an AIO guy, but they are really nice systems when it comes to compact designs.

my only concern or scare with those fusion tanks is them exploding.... literally. lol i think all that is finally done and dealt with but... D: but, a kessil and fusion would look pretty bomb. Im not much of an AIO guy, but they are really nice systems when it comes to compact designs.

Yeah they look sleek! I'm just ready to have more room to play with. My picotope has been very successful so far even with SPS so I think I'm ready for an upgrade.

CatfishSoupFTW

Yeah they look sleek! I'm just ready to have more room to play with. My picotope has been very successful so far even with SPS so I think I'm ready for an upgrade.

I hear yeah. My 10 gallon was my trial, and it didnt last long, because I had WAYYY too much live rock.... so that was my excuse to upgrade. a 20 is a really nice size upgrade. 20L are beautiful too, but scaping with little depth is tough. have you not considered just an OG tank and some drilling? with AIO, you lose so much depth due to those chambers.

I hear yeah. My 10 gallon was my trial, and it didnt last long, because I had WAYYY too much live rock.... so that was my excuse to upgrade. a 20 is a really nice size upgrade. 20L are beautiful too, but scaping with little depth is tough. have you not considered just an OG tank and some drilling? with AIO, you lose so much depth due to those chambers.

Yeah I'm still considering quite a few things. I just cant seem to make up my mind right now I'm stuck between the fusion 10, fusion 20, and a traditional 20 long. I wish Picoaquariums had available aquariums but they are unavailable until the fall.

CatfishSoupFTW

Yeah I'm still considering quite a few things. I just cant seem to make up my mind right now I'm stuck between the fusion 10, fusion 20, and a traditional 20 long. I wish Picoaquariums had available aquariums but they are unavailable until the fall.

well things to consider would be lighting vs dimensions. Some tanks, and due to the nature of LEDs, would require two lights despite how small the tanks can be. Maybe also look at availability of stuff. Someone I know bought the 30 gal fusion basket, and later found out that getting the 30gal in canada is difficult. lol so he opted for the 20.

Also factor in the cost of stuff. 20 gallons is double of a 10 obviously, so naturally youll be spending more, either off the bat, or down the road ( both unavoidable hahaha ) a 20L rimless low iron, with sump would be a beautiful set up. Drilled with a ghost overflow, or a mame would be a beauty.

Reefing is one of those silly hobbies that you want everything now, but generally thats the worst idea ever unless you know what youre doing and the money talks. lol But if youre in a pinch ( i.e. me as a sad sad student) then every dollar spent is magnified hahaha

Archived