Top Shelf Aquatics

AI Prime or Kessil A160

Brayreef

CatfishSoupFTW

Looks like the forum ive been looking for. I currently have a Kessil A150 over my IM 25 Lagoon.

Looking for controllability and these are the two lights I am looking into. I most recently purchased the Kessil A80 for my New IM10 and I do love it. It was also my first time using a spec controller. I have to say, No clue why the spec controller cost so damn much to do so damn little, c'mon kessil. If that cheesy controller had wifi or bluetooth and worked with my phone there would be no question here and I would get another but this thing reminds me of first generation flip phones. The razor :lol:

Questions I do have though:

How loud is the A160we compared to the A150? My A150 is too loud. Have heard the AI Prime HD is very quiet. the A160we?

What is the area covered by the A160we and HD Prime 6"- 8" above surface? I've heard 24x24? I would imagine that is the same for my A150 but doesnt seem to be the case. My current A150 doesnt seem to cover 1-1.5" on either side of the sand bed. I mean it is lit but with ambient light, not coming directly from the cone of the kessil output.

I do love the quality, look design and especially the shimmer put out by kessils but man do I hate how stupid expensive and worthless their controller seem. My luck once I wasted money on a 2nd one, kessil would release a controller that is wifi compatible... :rolleyes:

I am super hot and heavy on the wifi of the Ai Prime, will i be as satisfied with everything else color, any shimmer?

mine is about... 7 inches or so off the top of the tank. 18x18 cube and it covers it perfectly with very little spill ( which i controlled via height. I run 50 percent at 8 hours a day with some homedepot wall outlet timer. and I do agree, the kessil controller is expensive for what it is, plus it has to be tethered? -____- but that aside, its insanely quiet. my tank is beside my bed, and I dont ever recall hearing the light. especially over my skimmer which is fairly quiet as well ( pls50 nano)

i just put my head beside the light, and i basically have to be touching it in order to hear the little fan go. I got some solid hearing too, so no need to worry if im deaf haha

shimmer and deep blues I find you cannot contest. same goes for the disco. but if you want the extra fancy built in features of the prime, then you would have to sacrifice a few things I suppose. My vote is still a strong solid kessil light. Worst case ontario, just visit an LFS and see if you can compare. Or ask local members, maybe you can find someone near who can show you their set ups.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived