Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maxspect Gyre XF130 hands-on (with power consumption, flow)

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Well, last night I decided that enough was enough and put the XF130 back on the left panel horizontally. Vertical just did not give enough flow in my tank, more detritus settled than I would have liked (and in the middle of the tank, no less!) and the middle of the tank didn't receive a lot of flow.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine in my IM 30L. Since I took this video this morning I decided to reverse the side nearest the sump wall and I think that works out very well with this tank. So the side against the sump pushes water to the back of the Gyre and the side nearest the front pushes water across the tank.

How much flow power did you lose when you did that compared to both paddles facing forward?

jedimasterben

Do you think it's too much flow for my tank, ADA 60F?

I had to look up the dimensions to that, 24"x12"x7". I don't particularly see it working out well in such a shallow tank, especially if you want to keep sand.

How much flow power did you lose when you did that compared to both paddles facing forward?

I went back to both forward. Running in opposite directions was causing bubbles. I have it set at 20% and everything is doing great.

Thanks for looking up the dimensions. I guess I will get a ecotech.... *damnit*

I had to look up the dimensions to that, 24"x12"x7". I don't particularly see it working out well in such a shallow tank, especially if you want to keep sand.

jedimasterben

Thanks for looking up the dimensions. I guess I will get a ecotech.... *damnit*

IMHO you'll have problems with an MP10, as well. The wet side is 2.5" tall. Your water level will end up around 6", and if you want sand you'll have less than that - the MP10's wide output will blow the sand away unless you have it on the minimum setting. If you weren't using sand, the Gyre would make a little more sense than without, but still you'd have to run it very low.

flow seems to be ok with mp10 according to what i found on youtube.

but, really wanted to get the xf130 instead because i THOUGHT it would work better in shallower tanks.

IMHO you'll have problems with an MP10, as well. The wet side is 2.5" tall. Your water level will end up around 6", and if you want sand you'll have less than that - the MP10's wide output will blow the sand away unless you have it on the minimum setting. If you weren't using sand, the Gyre would make a little more sense than without, but still you'd have to run it very low.

Ben, Just bought my new tank, 36 x18 x 12....In your honest opinion, 2 MP10wES or a Maxspect Gyre? Which size if I should use a Gyre. Will have plenty of SPS. I am torn, great savings with the Gyre if you think it a better choice. I know lots is subjective, but curious your input.Thanks!

Do you think it's too much flow for my tank, ADA 60F?

Having run 2xMP10's, 1xMP10 and now just the Gyre in my tank if I were you I would just go the gyre. You can just the speed down to not have as much flow. also you can turn these heads all the way around and put the reverse blades on as well.

I now have mine on a 10second pulse which is great. Set it at 40%, it does 40% for 10 seconds and then what appears to be 20% 10 seconds. Lots of coral movement and just enough flow on the sand.

jedimasterben

flow seems to be ok with mp10 according to what i found on youtube.

but, really wanted to get the xf130 instead because i THOUGHT it would work better in shallower tanks.

The only problem with the gyre is where the water hits the other end of the tank, going down, and then back towards the other end of the tank. It might push sand right out of the way, though I have no way of knowing for sure, my shallowest tank is 12".

Ben, Just bought my new tank, 36 x18 x 12....In your honest opinion, 2 MP10wES or a Maxspect Gyre? Which size if I should use a Gyre. Will have plenty of SPS. I am torn, great savings with the Gyre if you think it a better choice. I know lots is subjective, but curious your input.Thanks!

That size is about made for the XF130.

36x36

That's a toughie. I think that it would probably be something above the 130 but not quite the 150, so I think you'd be better off with the 150.

The only problem with the gyre is where the water hits the other end of the tank, going down, and then back towards the other end of the tank. It might push sand right out of the way, though I have no way of knowing for sure, my shallowest tank is 12".

That's a toughie. I think that it would probably be something above the 130 but not quite the 150, so I think you'd be better off with the 150.

So go for the 130?Or should I swing a 150 and turn it down?

thanks. my tank is a bit shallower than yours. might be worth it to try the gyre out still.

Having run 2xMP10's, 1xMP10 and now just the Gyre in my tank if I were you I would just go the gyre. You can just the speed down to not have as much flow. also you can turn these heads all the way around and put the reverse blades on as well.

I now have mine on a 10second pulse which is great. Set it at 40%, it does 40% for 10 seconds and then what appears to be 20% 10 seconds. Lots of coral movement and just enough flow on the sand.

Ben, would I be ok to grab a 150, is it adjustible enough for me to use it? Nobody has the 130 in stock

jedimasterben

Ben, would I be ok to grab a 150, is it adjustible enough for me to use it? Nobody has the 130 in stock

I'm trying to decide if should try a 130 on my 36x18x12 tall as I'm not sure how will work in tank this tall :(

As long as you don't have fine sand you should be fine.

Thanks, Whoever my Local guy uses has some 130s in stock too. I like MarineDepot, but when I have the choice I prefer to support LFS and businesses. MD doesnt need help making money, our LFS often have a hard time makeing ends meet. Ordering today along with the rest of my equipment for my build!!

So what have you finally decided on for your settings? are you running Constant Speed, Pulsing or Alternating Gyre? (And thanks for the thorough review!)

jedimasterben

So what have you finally decided on for your settings? are you running Constant Speed, Pulsing or Alternating Gyre? (And thanks for the thorough review!)

My tank has to have 100% constant because of its volume, I can't change it to a different mode or lower the output without losing too much flow for my tank.

jedimasterben would the Maxspect Gyre XF130 be good in a 30x30x19 cube tank ??? I have two mp10 now

I just put one in my 24x24x12 cube today. I'm still playing with mounting positions and I don't have any rock in it yet (moving everything over from my BC29 tomorrow if all goes well), but there is CRAZY flow. I don't see why you couldn't replace your 2 MP10's with one of these.

Archived