SaltCritters.com

Maxspect Gyre XF130 hands-on (with power consumption, flow)

jedimasterben

I agree Ben. But...there are other forums out there :)

Mark

p.s. This is my fave though.

what he is saying is that he is the first consumer to have his hands on a 35w gyre. all other reviews so far have been about the 150 model.

they'll start rolling in one after another shortly, as I believe they're on shelves now.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

:slap: You are correct, sir. So in that light...carry on Jedimaster.

I see what you did there :D

I wonder if it's going to take too much space.

Yeah, the thing is pretty damned small (especially for as much power as it has), but that tank is pretty tiny. Tibbs will be the guinea pig :)

jedimasterben

I think it's probably just perfect power for my 50. Or I could out it in my pico and scare the sexy shrimp.

You could send them to me and I could feed them to my trigger instead. He's hungry :)

I wonder if it's going to take too much space.

I see what you did there :D

Yeah, the thing is pretty damned small (especially for as much power as it has), but that tank is pretty tiny. Tibbs will be the guinea pig :)

I'm drilling the back of the tank so that it acts as the return. Then I'll move the RW-4 over under the overflow facing forward. The gyre fits in the rear chambers pretty well. I think the rics and shrooms in the front should be able to handle it.

reefernanoman

I'm drilling the back of the tank so that it acts as the return. Then I'll move the RW-4 over under the overflow facing forward. The gyre fits in the rear chambers pretty well. I think the rics and shrooms in the front should be able to handle it.

Wow, some heavy modification there tibbsy. Good luck with your project. I hope it turns out good.

Thanks a lot Jedi for doing this review, I've been going nuts trying to find info on the smaller version!

I agree that it's a product with real potential and I hope that some additional R&D goes into this thing to tweak the concept even further. For example I like the idea of the reverse gyre but I agree with your thought that it doesn't really seem to do much. One thought is to try aligning it vertically and then I wonder if it would do anything more? Just a thought.

Finally, I'm a little concerned about the noise, but I'll need to hear it in person ultimately to decide. I'm sure it's not that bad though.

Good luck everyone with setting yours up! I just might have to pick up one of these ;)

jedimasterben

Just put the XF130 on the back panel next to my overflow pushing from left to right to create a vertical gyre. Not 100% sure how I feel about it so far, the gyre just got going at full speed (takes a little while for it to get to that point, it doesn't happen right off the bat), so I'm going to observe everything and will get a video of it after the sun goes down (there is too much glare right now from the window).

You could send them to me and I could feed them to my trigger instead. He's hungry :)

:slap: I like my sexies.

Wait, you're going to put a $240 pump in the back chamber of a 10g? O.o

I'm just now setting my 30g cube back up (24x24x12) and I have an MP10 now, so I was either gonna add a second one or just get the small Gyre. I'm leaning towards the Gyre. I was thinking about putting it vertical next to the overflow hoping to create circular water movement around whole the tank so I hope you post the vertical video.

Also, any problems with sandstorms? I'm starting this tank barebottom (never tried it before), but if I hate it will add sand later.

:slap: I like my sexies.Wait, you're going to put a $240 pump in the back chamber of a 10g? O.o

Kind of. I am working on a prototype fish catapult. ;)

There seems to be a number of people asking me through various means... I am totally kidding. The rw-4 on low is almost too much for my tak, let alone a damn gyre.

jedimasterben

I'm just now setting my 30g cube back up (24x24x12) and I have an MP10 now, so I was either gonna add a second one or just get the small Gyre. I'm leaning towards the Gyre. I was thinking about putting it vertical next to the overflow hoping to create circular water movement around whole the tank so I hope you post the vertical video.

Also, any problems with sandstorms? I'm starting this tank barebottom (never tried it before), but if I hate it will add sand later.

You may not have enough water height to run it vertical, it is 9.5" long, so depending on where your overflow keeps your water level it might not be possible, it it is too close it will want to push water up and make noise and little splashes.

Vertical you would have issues with sand, see the above about your water height.

The magnets on these are water proof right? I could put one on the false wall of my BC 29?

Correct.

so i have a question, how will the gyre work with tanks that have an overflow in the center of the tank. my tank is 48"L x 15"W x16"H and the overflow is about 4" off the back wall. so it makes my tank approximately 12" front to back in the center. will the flow being pinched down in the center negate the effects of the gyre? oh and my overflow is not square but trapezoid in shape.

Mine in my IM 30L. Since I took this video this morning I decided to reverse the side nearest the sump wall and I think that works out very well with this tank. So the side against the sump pushes water to the back of the Gyre and the side nearest the front pushes water across the tank.

jedimasterben

so i have a question, how will the gyre work with tanks that have an overflow in the center of the tank. my tank is 48"L x 15"W x16"H and the overflow is about 4" off the back wall. so it makes my tank approximately 12" front to back in the center. will the flow being pinched down in the center negate the effects of the gyre? oh and my overflow is not square but trapezoid in shape.

It shouldn't really affect it. It'll create some turbulence in that area, but once the water gets moving it won't slow it down much.

Thank you for the confirmation, I'm going to try one I think. I was going to buy another Mp10 to replace the Jabeo I tried and don't like.

It shouldn't really affect it. It'll create some turbulence in that area, but once the water gets moving it won't slow it down much.

well then it looks like my tax return is getting used up quicker than expected. lol

Mine in my IM 30L. Since I took this video this morning I decided to reverse the side nearest the sump wall and I think that works out very well with this tank. So the side against the sump pushes water to the back of the Gyre and the side nearest the front pushes water across the tank.

Interesting, what was your reason for doing that? Also, what level are you running the pump at? I have a 30L too, just waiting on MarineDepot for my XF-130 :)

Interesting, what was your reason for doing that? Also, what level are you running the pump at? I have a 30L too, just waiting on MarineDepot for my XF-130 :)

There is a rock right in front of it on that side with Zoas and a rock flower anemone and I didn't want them to get pounded. This also gets some flow pointed down behind the Gyer and the rock .

Archived