ReefCleaners.org

Maxspect Gyre XF130 hands-on (with power consumption, flow)

jedimasterben

I currently have three Vortech MP10WES pumps. Thought about using two of them on my next system. After some last minute change in plans, the tank looks to have the dimensions of 24x24x16. I'm planning on running with fine sand. Maybe not oolite, but not larger then 1 mm grain size.

What do you think, 2 MP10s or 1 Gyre XF130?

If I am to go with a Gyre, then I would like to switch one of the blades such that I will get equal power in normal and reverse modes. Should I go with the Gyre XF150 instead of the XF130 to get enough flow in my tank then? Also, I would like to run the pump on not more then 50% power, since you write that noise starts to be a factor in setting 5-10. It is actually the same reason why I'm thinking two MP10s, instead of just one, if I am to go with Vortechs ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I currently have three Vortech MP10WES pumps. Thought about using two of them on my next system. After some last minute change in plans, the tank looks to have the dimensions of 24x24x16. I'm planning on running with fine sand. Maybe not oolite, but not larger then 1 mm grain size.

What do you think, 2 MP10s or 1 Gyre XF130?

If I am to go with a Gyre, then I would like to switch one of the blades such that I will get equal power in normal and reverse modes. Should I go with the Gyre XF150 instead of the XF130 to get enough flow in my tank then? Also, I would like to run the pump on not more then 50% power, since you write that noise starts to be a factor in setting 5-10. It is actually the same reason why I'm thinking two MP10s, instead of just one, if I am to go with Vortechs ;)

With 16" height you should be decently ok with the Gyre on lower settings, but the problem comes with reverse. Reverse pushes water directly down if you have it running horizontally, so the sand under it is going to get moved if it is less than 1mm.

Ok, so after running it for a while, the motor has gotten significantly quieter. I can no longer hear it when sitting across the room and can only hear it when I place my head near the pump. Huzzah!

With 16" height you should be decently ok with the Gyre on lower settings, but the problem comes with reverse. Reverse pushes water directly down if you have it running horizontally, so the sand under it is going to get moved if it is less than 1mm.

Ok, so after running it for a while, the motor has gotten significantly quieter. I can no longer hear it when sitting across the room and can only hear it when I place my head near the pump. Huzzah!

I see your point. What do you think about the issue with debris settling from normal operation then? Just go crazy with a turkey baster? :P

If the pump is so silent, that is a major plus for me. I don't really care that much about "having the motor on the outside thing". The reason for the Vortechs for me has been the small internal profile, compared with others, the amazing undertow and wide flow pattern and the controllability. If the Gyre provides the corals with more beneficial flow , has a low profile (I would probably put it horizontal on the back wall), AND is virtually dead silent, then I'm definitely leaning towards that instead of the Vortechs.

What do you think about the new Vortech pumps coming out soon, the "Ecotech Marine Vortech QuietDrive"? How do you think they will compete against the Gyres?

jedimasterben

I see your point. What do you think about the issue with debris settling from normal operation then? Just go crazy with a turkey baster? :P

If the pump is so silent, that is a major plus for me. I don't really care that much about "having the motor on the outside thing". The reason for the Vortechs for me has been the small internal profile, compared with others, the amazing undertow and wide flow pattern and the controllability. If the Gyre provides the corals with more beneficial flow , has a low profile (I would probably put it horizontal on the back wall), AND is virtually dead silent, then I'm definitely leaning towards that instead of the Vortechs.

What do you think about the new Vortech pumps coming out soon, the "Ecotech Marine Vortech QuietDrive"? How do you think they will compete against the Gyres?

It depends on what 'Quietdrive' boils down to. It will not change anything as far as flow patterns from the wet side, etc, it will only either change the motor design or how it receives power. The biggest change is in the wet side, bringing its design to parity with the far superior MP10 and MP60 design with the shaft being supported by the cage to prevent wobble, which puts more stress on the motor and bearings. If it is a new fully solid-state design, expect retail price to be $400+. if it is just a new controller that works with the same motor and whatnot, then nothing will really change, as the noise from the dry sides do not originate in the motor, but in the bearings.

jedimasterben

So you would still recommend the Gyre FX130 over the Vortechs, based on my preferences described above? :)

Either one will take some finagling to get positioned and adjusted with fine sand, so in the end it's up to you :)

Either one will take some finagling to get positioned and adjusted with fine sand, so in the end it's up to you :)

In other words, what would you have gone with, considering you have tested out both options? ;)

• 3 months later...

Jedimaster,

Good write up! I wanted to ask you if you still have the gyre? I am debating on the gyre or a pair of mp40's. I like the water movement it gives and I just saw a video from BRS and shows a tank having two gyre on opposite ends alternating every 30 seconds.

I have to read up a little more on this product.

jedimasterben

You'll want them to switch every couple hours. These aren't normal powerheads and are designed to get the whole water column going in one direction and it takes longer than 30 seconds to do it, so switching so soon interrupts the gyre motion and defeats the purpose of the pump. :)

HarryPotter

You'll want them to switch every couple hours. These aren't normal powerheads and are designed to get the whole water column going in one direction and it takes longer than 30 seconds to do it, so switching so soon interrupts the gyre motion and defeats the purpose of the pump. :)

The LFS told me the same thing. It's not like the vortechs where you go for erratic flow. Instead you completely change the water pattern in more lengthily intervals.

Supposedly many Torch corals and euphyllia prefer this type of movement

• 3 months later...

So I got a set of the 'reinforced' Gyre 130 paddles today. At first I thought something was wrong, flow was quite a bit less, then I realized I installed them backwards. Whoops.

Good news is that in addition to being significantly stronger than the old paddles, flow also has increased by quite a bit. I was running the 130 on my 40g tank at 100% constant speed, I like corals like I like my women, all bent over. ;) With the new paddles, I had to reduce the pump to 60% speed to get it to the same output as the old paddles had at 100%. Flow in reverse also sees a pretty significant increase, but IMHO it still isn't enough to really make it enough for me to use reverse. :P

Power consumption at 100% has increase in forward from 26.1 watts to 28.7 watts, and in reverse from 16.1 watts to 16.4 watts.

20150916_165347.jpg

So I got a set of the 'reinforced' Gyre 130 paddles today. At first I thought something was wrong, flow was quite a bit less, then I realized I installed them backwards. Whoops.

Good news is that in addition to being significantly stronger than the old paddles, flow also has increased by quite a bit. I was running the 130 on my 40g tank at 100% constant speed, I like corals like I like my women, all bent over. ;) With the new paddles, I had to reduce the pump to 60% speed to get it to the same output as the old paddles had at 100%. Flow in reverse also sees a pretty significant increase, but IMHO it still isn't enough to really make it enough for me to use reverse. :P

Power consumption at 100% has increase in forward from 26.1 watts to 28.7 watts, and in reverse from 16.1 watts to 16.4 watts.

20150916_165347.jpg

This thread is awesome !! I cant wait till my 130 comes in.

• 1 year later...

Archived