Coral Vue Hydros

Eisers Cube - PicO, MAME - Photo Dump

Eisernes

Thanks for the compliments.

New shot for new lights.

16856508952_32a0169ccf_c.jpg2015-03-18_05-37-38 by Eisernes, on Flickr

I've been working to raise my phosphates and nitrates by overfeeding flake food and marine snow. I'm at .025 phosphates and 5 mg/l nitrates with about two tablespoons of gfo in the reactor. I'll bump that up to 3 tablespoons next media change and keep feeding like I have been. I think that will be a good place to be.

The halide looks amazing. The colors look just as good and everything looks brighter and clearer without all of the extra blue. I don't know if I can just see them better now or what but PE on the SPS is way better today with the new light. Right now I have it 14" from the water to the bulb and using my zoas as a light meter I think the corals could take much more. I plan on lowering the fixture 1" a week and see where it takes me.

I ordered a 2 pump jebao dosing pump to use until I have the money for a DOS. People say it has trouble with small doses so I plan on diluting my 2 part to make 1mL doses 5mL.

Also ordered my very first ever clam! omgomgomg I took advantage of PEA's "our pick special". It is supposed to be an ultra grade blue maxima 4-5" so we'll see what I get. Always wanted one and I think one could thrive in this tank.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also ordered my very first ever clam! omgomgomg I took advantage of PEA's "our pick special". It is supposed to be an ultra grade blue maxima 4-5" so we'll see what I get. Always wanted one and I think one could thrive in this tank.

Sweet! Interested to see what they send you!

I don't know if its just me but I have never had problems with temps. I have a 250w halide over a 24x24x12 about 10 inches from the water with no problems. I've used halides most my reefing life and have never had a temp rise more than a few degrees a day. That being said my house stays at 69 degrees year around so that could contribute to it but idk.

I had a 70w when I first started,and was thinking of doing 150w over my 7 gallon for my sps tank,but the insulation sucks in our house and we keep the house at 73,and I have a hard time keeping the tank at 80 with a 4 bulb fixture. That's just my luck though lol.

As for the new lights,DAMN !!! Looks ridiculous. I can't wait to see some pics of the coral after about a week or so. Hot damn !!

Why are you raising phosphates and nitrates?

Because they were both at 0. All corals needs a little of each to thrive or they will dull out. 0.01-0.03 phosphate and 5-10 nitrate is a healthy range.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Because they were both at 0. All corals needs a little of each to thrive or they will dull out. 0.01-0.03 phosphate and 5-10 nitrate is a healthy range.

Oh didn't know they where at 0

Light and tank looks awesome. What ballast did you end up getting?

I found a brand new hamilton m80 ballast on ebay.

Looking good! Can't wait to see the clam you get!

Thanks. I'm a little nervous about buying something without seeing it first.

Wow, nice move to MH, can't wait to see how the SPS progress.

I love the color of it. Just hope I don't bleach the crap out of everything.

That looks amazing. Any pics of the fixture itself by chance?

16244588413_1528c4b963_c.jpg2015-03-19_12-02-12 by Eisernes, on Flickr

16676891898_3dc5d1ea67_c.jpg2015-03-19_12-02-48 by Eisernes, on Flickr

Have you been tracking the water temp using your apex since switching to MH? I'm interested as I will be setting up a 18" x 18" x 12" once I move and was thinking either MH or Radion xr15 pro. I would prefer to try MH but worry about nuking the corals or heat issues. I'll be following along closely!

Have you been tracking the water temp using your apex since switching to MH? I'm interested as I will be setting up a 18" x 18" x 12" once I move and was thinking either MH or Radion xr15 pro. I would prefer to try MH but worry about nuking the corals or heat issues. I'll be following along closely!

I keep my temp at 79. Heater is set to kick on at 78. Only difference so far is it takes twice as long for the temp to fall low enough for the heater to come on. It's so high above the water line that not much heat makes it to the tank.

I keep my temp at 79. Heater is set to kick on at 78. Only difference so far is it takes twice as long for the temp to fall low enough for the heater to come on. It's so high above the water line that not much heat makes it to the tank.

Thanks, I really appreciate the info. Do you find you have a lot of light spill? That is one thing that really bothered me with my past tank

Thanks, I really appreciate the info. Do you find you have a lot of light spill? That is one thing that really bothered me with my past tank

There is some spill due to it being hung so high. It lights the living room so bright that we never even turn on the room light anymore.

I got my little chinese doser hooked up this weekend. I spent all day Saturday messing with it to make sure it worked correctly and to see how accurate it was. One thing I learned was the little medicine cups that come with the ESV 2 part and not even close to being accurate. The 10mL mark is off by about 2.5mL. I will be watching ht closely the next couple of weeks with daily alk and ca testing.

My setosa has turned from a blazing orange to a hot pink over the last few days. I don't know if this means it's bleaching or just adjusting to the light. It still has great pe and it has grown a little so who knows. The milli also looks a little pale on the sides but from the top it's still the same green/yellow color. The red planet has gained some green highlights and the purple cap continues to grow like a weed.

Clam is supposed to be here Wednesday along with a stylo frag and a new acan. I'll get pics up when they arrive.

Clam arrived this morning and it'a beautiful. I was worried I would get some dull grey grab bag clam but PEA really hooked it up.

16310832493_bcf51b8df7_c.jpg2015-03-25_06-39-05 by Eisernes, on Flickr

Seems happy and healthy. I don't know that much about clams but it reacts to shadows and I know that's a good sign. It stayed open like that pretty much all day. Hopefully it likes that spot and stays put. It is near the bottom but it's almost center of the tank. Light should be pretty strong there and flow at that level is moderate.

Also finally found a good spot for my gold torch which is actually gold again. I fell for the old actinic light business at a lfs and was never able to duplicate the color at home. Go go MH's!

Clam arrived this morning and it'a beautiful. I was worried I would get some dull grey grab bag clam but PEA really hooked it up.

16310832493_bcf51b8df7_c.jpg2015-03-25_06-39-05 by Eisernes, on Flickr

Seems happy and healthy. I don't know that much about clams but it reacts to shadows and I know that's a good sign. It stayed open like that pretty much all day. Hopefully it likes that spot and stays put. It is near the bottom but it's almost center of the tank. Light should be pretty strong there and flow at that level is moderate.

Also finally found a good spot for my gold torch which is actually gold again. I fell for the old actinic light business at a lfs and was never able to duplicate the color at home. Go go MH's!

I live 15 minutes away from PEA and their stuff always looks good. I go there almost every week just to take a look very dangerous for my bank account though :lol: but with a wife looking over my shoulder the money wont go anywhere.

lilmatty5dimes

Nice choice in lighting. I wish the odyessa mh fixture I had was a better brand to keep. Traded it for a 4 bulb tek fixture with ati bulbs. That clam looks great very nice pattern. Getting another is on the list of stuff to get soon. Lol

Have any pics of the gold torch?

Nice clam! PEA comes through again :) I know what you mean about falling for the actinics at the LFS. I've learned to always ask them to turn on the white lights - especially when I'm looking at zoas. I agree - we need pictures of the gold torch :D

Clam died. I left for work for a 24 hr shift Friday morning and when I got home Saturday morning it was an empty shell. No bueno. I'm just happy it didn't nuke the tank or something. SPS all looks good. Red planet is encrusting now. The blue tenuis is coloring up and the milli continues to turn into a rainbow of colors. I got a quick pic of the torch. Still doesn't look all that happy.

16359030424_835d32d6a0_c.jpg2015-03-30_02-55-41 by Eisernes, on Flickr

Great tank, question. You said the tank is bare bottom but in the pictures it looks like there is something black around 1cm deep. Is that just an optical illusion from the top of the stand being black?

jedimasterben

Great tank, question. You said the tank is bare bottom but in the pictures it looks like there is something black around 1cm deep. Is that just an optical illusion from the top of the stand being black?

Starboard.

Archived