Top Shelf Aquatics

Eisers Cube - PicO, MAME - Photo Dump

Eisernes

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Yes! New vice zoas are always worth celebrating! I have a shipment coming tomorrow from Aquascapers so hopefully I'll be celebrating too :)

Love Aquascapers, but their zoanthid and gorgonian prices have absolutely skyrocketed. $30-50 for a 5" gorgonian? Nope.

Could I still get the sump pic? Thank you :)

16007178824_a97e48a4f4_c.jpg2015-02-23_08-16-38 by Eisernes, on Flickr

This is pretty much all of the plumbing. From the top it's..

1/2" MPT x 1/2" Barbed Adapter

1/2" FPT x 3/4" MPT Bushing

3/4" True Union Ball Valve

3/4" Male Adapter

3/4" PVC

3/4" Male Adapter (Not shown. Threaded right into the pump.)

I prefer to use threaded fitting whenever possible for pressurized water lines. Instead of the the first two fittings you could use a 3/4" MPT x 1/2" barbed fitting. I couldn't find one without getting killed on shipping for one fitting.

Spiderguardnano

Thanks man for the pic one question

Is there any perks of going from return to pvc

Or will it work also just using soft going all the way up?

I was reminded today why I don't have sand anymore. I was removing the sand and last bit of water from my 40b after breaking it down. The water was dark brown and it smelled like a skimmer cup. Nasty.

I got my legendary corals shipment today and everything looks great. Unique corals was afraid to ship so it's not coming until Friday. I will get some pictures later.

They look great! My vice zoas managed to get here today just ahead of the snowstorm. But Darwin is holding my Legendary order until I get back from out of town in two weeks...I'm getting my vicarious Legendary fix through you :D

It's hard to tell in the picture - are those acans or blastos?

NorthGaHillbilly

I ordered the last few things tonight and it should all be here next week. I ordered a black piece of starboard for the bare bottom. I haven't seen many with black but it's purely aesthetic. Until it gets covered with corals and coraline it will match the black seams on the tank and the black Kessil. Also ordered frosted window cling for the back. I plan on backlighting the tank with a soft white light. Not sure yet what that light will be yet but I'm sure the good people at Home Depot will have some suggestions. I'm hoping this will help hide what little equipment there is behind the tank. Only thing left to pick up is a 5 gallon tank from Petco to use as a temporary ATO reservoir. This time next week I should be filling up. fingerscrossed I still have a couple of minor projects to tidy up this weekend including reinforcing the scape and assembling the MAME.

I've worked hard on the details with this build. I started with the MAME overflow and worked around it. "Where there is clutter nothing stands out". Once the tank is filled out I don't want people to see anything but the livestock. For the most part everything has been carefully planned and researched and almost all of the planning worked out on the first pass. There is a lot of inspiration to be found on these forums. Some of the tanks that influenced me or I blatantly ripped off elements of are...

4x5's Shallow Reef

Hey's 50g

Ninjamysts Spec V and his PicOsIII

NGaHB's 34 Gallon

Hypes Zero Edge

There are plenty more but these come immediately to mind. I hope that someday my tank is on someones list. :bowdown:

Woah, honored to be among such distinguished folks!

Im still reading through it all, but the stair step aqua scape IMMEDIATELY jumps out, really like it.

My coral focus is shifting more towards filling out those top levels with SPS and it has me thinking that the lighting is inadequate due to shadowing. I figure I have two options.

Option 1 is to get a nanobox duo. With a controller and moonlight added this will run around $630. Daves lights speak for themselves but this is a lot of money.

Option 2 is add another Kessil a160. I can get another kessil, two goosenecks, and the link cable for less than $330. If I angle them in it will eliminate any shadows at the top. Arguably the spread would be even better than the nanobox due to being able to angle the chips. I could also just hang both of them for about $250 and skip the goosenecks. Not sure which way would look better.

I'm leaning towards option 2 due to the cost. I still have to get a doser. Thoughts?

jedimasterben

Option 1 is to get a nanobox duo. With a controller and moonlight added this will run around $630. Daves lights speak for themselves but this is a lot of money.

The Duo is only $450 and moonlight upgrade is like $30 or 35, and it already has a controller.

The Duo is only $450 and moonlight upgrade is like $30 or 35, and it already has a controller.

Oh yeah you're right. I added an extra $100 there. They come with the storm controller now?

Spiderguardnano

Long pig is selling his duo with new arrays for $425 with blue fish upgrade it has a couple cosmetic damages

You could send it back to dave to get it refurbished

Long pig is selling his duo with new arrays for $425 with blue fish upgrade it has a couple cosmetic damages

You could send it back to dave to get it refurbished

He sold it.

I messaged Dave about a duo and he can't make the wire coming off the unit any longer than 10 feet so unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen. I've also nixed the thought of putting two kessils on goosenecks. Anything attached to the rim of the tank will take away from the look so I think I will have to go with hanging two kessils. I've learned from messing around with the kessil I have that I can angle the light a few degrees by manipulating the hooks that it hangs by so I can always try that.

I messaged Dave about a duo and he can't make the wire coming off the unit any longer than 10 feet so unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen. I've also nixed the thought of putting two kessils on goosenecks. Anything attached to the rim of the tank will take away from the look so I think I will have to go with hanging two kessils. I've learned from messing around with the kessil I have that I can angle the light a few degrees by manipulating the hooks that it hangs by so I can always try that.

Extension cord wont work? His lights are so nice looking...worth the extra effort to make it work.

Extension cord wont work? His lights are so nice looking...worth the extra effort to make it work.

At minimum I would have to extend two power cords plus whatever that cable is going to the controller.

jedimasterben

I messaged Dave about a duo and he can't make the wire coming off the unit any longer than 10 feet so unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen.

Hmm. That's really only for the T5 hybrids (the wire length is very strict since it deals with 600v), for the LED power he would need to use a little bit thicker wire.

Hmm. That's really only for the T5 hybrids (the wire length is very strict since it deals with 600v), for the LED power he would need to use a little bit thicker wire.

Yeah kind of surprised me when he said it. Doesn't matter anyway though. I'm going to get the gooseneck. It will help hide the wire from this other thing I went and did.

16663391352_ea28d4a722_c.jpg2015-02-27_12-55-46 by Eisernes, on Flickr

Archived