Pod Your Reef

Custom 20g Zoa Garden

NYfishies

Hi all,

I was the fortunate winner of a Brightwell Aquatics picture contest and I just received the package.

IMG_4697.jpg

As a result I have altered my feeding and dosing schedule.

For Amino Acids and Trace Elements I dose once a day and rotate between the following:

• 5 ml Seachem's Aquavitro Fuel
  • 8 Drops PolypLab's Polyp-Booster
  • 8 Drops Brightwell Aquatic's Coral Amino

For fish and coral food I use the following:

• LRS Reef Frenzy daily
  • LCM New Era Aegis Flakes daily
  • BRS Reef Chili & PolypLab's Reef Roids every 3rd day

To maintain the various parameters I dose:

• 3.8 ml BRS Alkalinity daily
  • 1.8 ml BRS Calcium daily
  • 15 ml BRS Magnesium monthly
  • 2 ml Continuum's Sustain every 3rd day (Iodine)

I also dose the below to maintain the health of the tank:

• 0.5 ml of Brightwell Aquatic's NeoPhos as needed
  • 2 ml of Brightwell Aquatic's PhytoChrom daily
  • 2 ml of Brightwell Aquatic's Vitamarin-C weekly

I have been keeping my water relatively dirty with good results. With the amount of stuff I add to the tank I only need to supplement with NeoPhos maybe once a week to keep the PO4 up.

Fortunately most of the above was gifted to me otherwise this would be quite an expensive schedule! You know who you are - thank you!!! :D:wub::wizard::happydance::bowdown::bling::grouphug:

• Like 5

Pictures please!

I ordered several Zoa's from ReefRaftUSA this week. Hopefully I will get them Friday. I was holding out on the pics until then! :happy:

Let me try to get some good full tank and frag tank shots tonight though since you have asked!

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

So this is what happens when we go away for 8 days and have 3 awesome friends who will come over to take care of the tanks on 3 different days! Yuuuuuuuge thanks to Kat! :bowdown::grouphug::happydance:

IMG_4730.jpg
IMG_4731.jpg
IMG_4732.jpg
IMG_4733.jpg
IMG_4734.jpg
IMG_4735.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations on winning the contest! Nice pics, btw :)

/drool

Is there any place we can see your contest winning photo?

• Like 1

Congratulations on winning the contest! Nice pics, btw :)

/drool

Is there any place we can see your contest winning photo?

Sure, it was this one.

DSC00018.jpg

Do you sell zoa frag packs? I'm starting to get a liking for them ever since buying a 40 dollar frag of Armor of God's...

I do. Right now a lot of mine are in grow out now and a lot of what I have still needs fragged. Several months ago I lost about half of my collection so I have been rebuilding ever since. I went through a series of growing pains learning the best way to take care of zoa's.

Recently I have been on the high end zoa kick. I'd like to get them all, grow them out, frag and distribute at more reasonable levels to fellow reefers. Here is a list of what I have for you to keep in mind. Send a PM with any you want and I can let you know if ready and if not when they will be.

Blowpops
Greenbay Packers
LC Hyper Phoenix
Tyree Rastas
Fire & Ice
Gatorades
DC Full Metal Bursts
Pink Zipper
Bam Bam
Scrambled Eggs
JF Insane Rainbows
Tangerine Rims
Hooters
NYCK Electric Smurfs
NYCK NY Mets
Salted Agave
Sunny D
Alien Anti-Venom
Tutti Fruiti
Jokers
Blumpkins
Vulcan Blood
Red Hornets
CB God of War
Latin Lovers
Fruit Loops
Blonde Blue Eyed Bitches
O.G. Blue Hornets
Rainbow Hornets
Ultra Gobbstoppers
WWC Twizzlers
LC Petroglyths
Bowsers
Juicy Fruit
NYCK Pink Sakuras (???)
WWC Purple Monster (Space Monster)
WWC Aces Wild
Emeralds on Fire
Purple Hornets
KH Sunbursts
Paradise
GGC Space Monkeys
JF Atomic Sunrise
Forgotten Treasure Zoas
Candy Apple Orange
Midas Flames
Frilly Bam Bams
PHE Red Rings
Sherbert Explosion
Tequila Sunrise
Candy Apple Red
Solar Fusion
Hallucination
Super Sayin
Mandarin Oranges
Armageddon
NYCK Starstruck
Golden Mauls
Darth Maul
Chucky's Bride
NYCK Pink ???
LC Alice in Wonderlands
Rainbow Lunars
Goblin on Fires
RR Flaming Sun
Powerhouses
Yellow Brick Roads
King Midas
Wowsers
Shazams
Krak Gods
Ultimate Utter Chaos
RR Pink Diamond
JF Acid Reflux
JF Fairy Tales
Emeralds on Fire
JF Asskraks
RR Koala Eye
RR Sun God
RR Banana Boat
RR Goldmine
RR Burning Sun
RR Pink Kiwi
RR Alphas
  • Like 7

WOW that list of Zoanthids is drool worthy!

Thanks! :)

Stay away everyone they are mine. I'll PM you soon :wub:

Haha the zoa addiction can be a serious problem!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We were on vacation for over a week and thankfully the tank was in great shape when we got home! Quite a bit of hair algae in the frag tank, but I have done a decent job eradicating over the last few days. Badly need another Turbo Snail in there!

This past Sunday we finally got our Yasha/Randal pair and we love them. They are not shy at all. The size of the tank and the scape seem perfect for viewing these 2 little guys. The shrimp is only big enough to carry 1 large grain of sand at a time. :P

I took a few quick pictures tonight just to document things. I really want to get a macro lens and tripod and start taking better shots now that the tank is looking better!

Here is Junie (short for Juniper). She is our Pink-Streaked Wrasse and is a little fatty. :D

IMG_4769.jpg
Here is Bert the Yasha Goby with his companion Ernie the Randall's Pistol Shrimp.
IMG_4758.jpg
IMG_4767.jpg
IMG_4788.jpg
berternie.jpg
I was trying to take a top down and Emmy (short for Emma) our Helfrichi Firefish came out to say hi. I have been very slowly moving more and more zoas from the frag tank to the display. I want to be sure I have at least 1 backup frag of every zoa before they leave the frag tank.

IMG_4793.jpg
Top down of the frag tank.
IMG_4789.jpg
IMG_4785.jpg
These 4 zoa colonies are bunched very close making it nearly impossible to cut and frag them. I am letting them grow out more, but at this point I am digging this corner!
IMG_4786.jpg
IMG_4781.jpg
I stopped dosing Reef Roids just to see what would happen to my levels and I am now having some trouble keeping NO3 & PO4 up. I dose 0.5 ml of NeoPhos every 4 days, but I am reluctant to dose Potassium Nitrate again in fear of another Cyano outbreak. I will go back to Reef Roids every 3rd day and see what happens.
Thanks for following along!
  • Like 2

Everything looks great!

Thanks!

This morning Bert and Ernie were in a new cave, just a few inches from the one they normally stay in. Nice to see them already building themselves a vacation home. B) The new cave is just a few inches away which I am sure that for Ernie that must seem like nautical miles! Ernie went with the front and back entrance with this cave - impressive choice.

I wish I could get better action shots. I will need to mess with the camera settings and turn the tank lights on for that. It is so funny watching Ernie carry 1 piece of sand at a time and then turn around and kick like bloody murder with his tiny little shrimp feet. :lol::rolleyes:

IMG_4795.jpg
IMG_4797.jpg
IMG_4801.jpg
IMG_4802.jpg
IMG_4803.jpg
  • Like 2

looks great!

Thank you!

Last night I was cleaning the hair algae from the frag tank (gosh do we need Turbo Snails in our tanks again, but I cannot find any!) and I was able to turkey baste a good bit off the zoas. Usually I just pull it off with plating tongs which works ok, but is tiresome. About 1/3rd of the frag tank has hair algae issues and zero in the display. In blasting them with the baster I remembered that even though the flow is good in this tank I still need to clean the zoas once a week.

Boy what a difference that made!

IMG_4846.jpg
IMG_4845.jpg
IMG_4844.jpg
IMG_4843.jpg
IMG_4842.jpg
IMG_4841.jpg
Just a few shots of our beautiful Emmy.
IMG_4848.jpg
IMG_4847.jpg
When I got home from work I was also trying to capture a picture of all 3 fish hanging out together which they love to do.
This is the best I could do.
IMG_4838.jpg
Here is the first thing I see when I walk into my apartment everyday. :happydance:

IMG_4832.jpg
IMG_4834.jpg
IMG_4833.jpg
IMG_4835.jpg
IMG_4836.jpg
IMG_4837.jpg
IMG_4839.jpg
IMG_4840.jpg
IMG_4848.jpg
IMG_4847.jpg
  • Like 2

This tank is everything a zoa tank should be.

Tagging along! Love all the colors!

Thank you so much for the kind words! After 2 years and A LOT of pain and loss it has finally taken off!

Looking awesome man! Cant wait to see this again in a few months.

-D

Thanks dude. :D

Next time you are in town we are doing dinner with Kat!

Hey all,

Yesterday I decided to wage full blown war on the brown hair algae which I have been battling now for a few months in my frag tank. None in the display tank thank goodness! I have not been able to locate any Turbo Snails to take care of the problem naturally and things were getting out of hand (pulling out algae for 30 min everyday sucked!).

For the longest time I have also wanted to modify the frag rack by splitting in 2. It was very hard to take the rack out of the tank with the zoas on it as it was. By splitting it I can now pull at each half at a time with the zoas in tack in order to clean underneath the racks. This is essential. All that detritus builds up and ends of on the zoas.

It went down like this!

29156516715_2ab7e0a929_h.jpg
29051051572_15c66b608d_h.jpg
29123393986_05ae12d493_h.jpg
29051052002_d38eae700c_h.jpg

4 hours later after cleaning every single frag as best I could we have a VERY expensive colander of zoas...

29123394546_8b13fbc844_h.jpg

I then sawed the rack and added a few more feet. From there I soaked in a combo of Peroxide/Vinegar/Water for a good 10-15 while I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed some more.

28537788023_f2f9589b96_h.jpg

I then drained the frag tank (did a 25% water change in the process) and wiped it completely down.

29051051022_63ee3700ca_h.jpg

29051051282_b2308542ab_h.jpg

Another 1.5 hours later and everybody was home again!

29123393556_7b964a7db2_h.jpg

I am very happy with how this went. I am quite proud of myself for the patience and delicacy I had during the process!

Happy reefing all pics of happy zoas to follow tonight!!

• Like 4

Looks really nice! Your pictures are making me want these weeks to pass quickly so you can send my order :D:wub:

Thanks!

The frag rack is going to be all unorganized from the deep clean as most were closed when I put them back so this week I plan to reorganize and note what frags I have in grow out for sale. Will keep you posted!

• Like 1