Pod Your Reef

The Cube - Phase III - Wrasse Collection pg. 7

ReviloM

that's kinda why I was asking. It seems a good choice for adding options for dosing and such. For me, I would have liked it if they offered a slave unit to the master. I could easily use 8 dosing pumps and options for that are not common without adding some individual pumps separately. I do want to see someone institute the auto top off just so we can all get some good feedback.

Sorry - not trying to hijack the thread!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, I would have liked it if they offered a slave unit to the master. I could easily use 8 dosing pumps and options for that are not common without adding some individual pumps separately. I do want to see someone institute the auto top off just so we can all get some good feedback.

Slave unit is on it's way. There's already a slave port. :)

Yes that to t. Do you think the return would be good with that space

Yes, it should work there if it fit. I am not sure how long it is or if it will fit in that portion. It may fit without the front cover/guard.

What if that price you cut off put that on the other side to make 2 cubes and the fudge will be a t shape hmmmm when my tank ones in ill have a lot of toying to do, what sealer do I use to put glass back in, ge silicone 1

That would be up to you. Honestly, you can put the skimmer and water intake in the cube portion where I showed above and leave the return in the fuge area. The stock return has a front cover/guard that will prevent macro from being sucked in. The more fuge area your have, the better. Also, i wouldn't recommend any substrate in the fuge area due to it being a small area and can collect alot of detritus. I would just put some pieces of liverock and place the macro algae on it.

Always love a good LED vs. T5 debate!

Sounds like you have a really good idea how you want to put this together. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this up and running! I am curious what made the final decision on the Kore 5th? It's a pretty sleek doser from the looks and the read on their site.

Thanks! I will try not to disappoint. I chose the Kore 5th because it pretty much had the features I wanted in a doser. I was considering getting an apex full with the dos doser but at that price point, it seem a bit much. So I chose just to get doser and will buy a used RKE for a controlling my skimmer, pumps, and heater. I pretty much will save about $300. I, also, got it at a very good price during the Black Friday sale.

I am curious as to why it's not more popular than it is to be honest. 5 pumps + ATO + Temp probe all for less than $400 when it was on sale for Black Friday. That and auto water change add on. It's a beast unit.

Yep. I guess people would rather buy the dos, vertex, GHL, or BRS.

that's kinda why I was asking. It seems a good choice for adding options for dosing and such. For me, I would have liked it if they offered a slave unit to the master. I could easily use 8 dosing pumps and options for that are not common without adding some individual pumps separately. I do want to see someone institute the auto top off just so we can all get some good feedback.

It's cool. It's coming soon. I am only using 3 dosing heads at the moment. I have to find a reason for the 4th and 5th TBH. Until I get my mini Fridge for my Reef Energy A & B, they will not be used. My ATO is working fine now. I got my replacement optical sensor and it works like a charm. The pump that comes with it is so tiny but it pumps really well.

Looks like an interesting build. You have some quality equipment!

Thanks!

My only concern with loading so many features onto a single device is that it's a single point of failure. If the main board was to die in the doser for example you would not only lose your dosing functionality but also your ATO. This could seriously harm the tank when your away on a trip. I used to be all for consolidating devices into a single solution (look at our smart phones) but work in the IT industry has lead me to question anything with no build in redundancy. Not having a go at the doser selection at all (I think it's really cool) and I am by no means an expert on that model (they could have individually separated circuits for each dosing head for all I know). Just raising a suggestion as to why they are not as popular as they should be.

My only concern with loading so many features onto a single device is that it's a single point of failure. If the main board was to die in the doser for example you would not only lose your dosing functionality but also your ATO. This could seriously harm the tank when your away on a trip. I used to be all for consolidating devices into a single solution (look at our smart phones) but work in the IT industry has lead me to question anything with no build in redundancy. Not having a go at the doser selection at all (I think it's really cool) and I am by no means an expert on that model (they could have individually separated circuits for each dosing head for all I know). Just raising a suggestion as to why they are not as popular as they should be.

I know that each dosing pump is independent. As for the motherboard, I would have to take it apart just to see but I'd rather just ask pac sun. The reason I think most people aren't buying it is because of being "fan boys" and because of "not knowing about". The product was released to the public around jan or feb and I just found out about it in September.

I know that each dosing pump is independent. As for the motherboard, I would have to take it apart just to see but I'd rather just ask pac sun. The reason I think most people aren't buying it is because of being "fan boys" and because of "not knowing about". The product was released to the public around jan or feb and I just found out about it in September.

If each of the heads are wired and powered independent of each other it is indeed a very solid unit. You will always have fan boys, personally I like to stray away from the norm.

My parts are rolling in my pair of jb rw4s will be in the 22nd. They called to make a drop off apointment at 12 to 3 today!! I cannot wait to start modding thanks again pics to come shortly

My parts are rolling in my pair of jb rw4s will be in the 22nd. They called to make a drop off apointment at 12 to 3 today!! I cannot wait to start modding thanks again pics to come shortly

Great! Make sure to get lots of pics!

So today, I leave for my trip. I am very nervous about leaving for two weeks and two days while the tank is home alone. Everything has been work up till now and I don't want any mishaps to happen while I am gone. There aren't any responsible friends around to watch my tank. I have taken photos of the tank to monitor before and after. I will post them later today when I arrive at my destination.

I am curious as to why it's not more popular than it is to be honest. 5 pumps + ATO + Temp probe all for less than $400 when it was on sale for Black Friday. That and auto water change add on. It's a beast unit.

It was on the wishlist until I saw this post,

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/354075-the-cube-phase-iii-growth/?p=4898961

I'm going to get a calcium reactor instead. For the cost of that doser, it should not look like that. Bare wires on a part near salt water?

The Vertex RX-C is available now.

It was on the wishlist until I saw this post, http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/354075-the-cube-phase-iii-growth/?p=4898961 I'm going to get a calcium reactor instead. For the cost of that doser, it should not look like that. Bare wires on a part near salt water? The Vertex RX-C is available now.

Oh yeah I forgot to update on that. I contacted PacSun and they apologized for sending without a box and informed me that placing the unit box inside another box wasn't needed as the inside styrofoam of the unit box protects it pretty well. It was packed really well and I believe the scuffing of the box was due to UPS. As for the optical cable, Pacsun sent me a new one via 1 day shipping and apologized because it was an uncommon incident. So I have no complaints with PacSun and really do love my unit.

• 2 weeks later...

So I return home tomorrow, from my 2 week vacation. Honestly, I have my in my mind that it all went wrong so I won't be super disappointed when I get home. I didn't have a tank sitter. I did leave a container with 20gish of ATO water. I hope the doser did its job properly. Hmm....I guess I will restart over if it is destroyed wit a encrusting montipora dominated tank if it is gone.

So I return home tomorrow, from my 2 week vacation. Honestly, I have my in my mind that it all went wrong so I won't be super disappointed when I get home. I didn't have a tank sitter. I did leave a container with 20gish of ATO water. I hope the doser did its job properly. Hmm....I guess I will restart over if it is destroyed wit a encrusting montipora dominated tank if it is gone.

I hope for the best for you man! The anxiety of things going wrong it what made me get a webcam so I could make sure that things weren't dead, water wasn't all over the floor, etc.

I hope for the best for you man! The anxiety of things going wrong it what made me get a webcam so I could make sure that things weren't dead, water wasn't all over the floor, etc.

I am not too much worried about leaks. I am more concerned about rising salinity due to ATO water ran out or ATO malfunction somehow. I do know that the street where I stay is being expanded and before 2 days before I left, the power went out for 10min max twice. I am hoping that didn't occur and reset my doser.

I did just remember that I could have used my old iphone 5s as a camera before I left but I was in too much of a hurry to go on vacation. Honest;y, I haven't thought about the tank until I started packing for tomorrow.

I am not too much worried about leaks. I am more concerned about rising salinity due to ATO water ran out or ATO malfunction somehow. I do know that the street where I stay is being expanded and before 2 days before I left, the power went out for 10min max twice. I am hoping that didn't occur and reset my doser.

I did just remember that I could have used my old iphone 5s as a camera before I left but I was in too much of a hurry to go on vacation. Honest;y, I haven't thought about the tank until I started packing for tomorrow.

It's good you didn't let the tank ruin your vacation.

Just made it home. No spills. 1 dead SPS (fresh cut that I had got before I left so not disappointed) and 2 or 3 started to RTN. My meat is bleached but alive. The ATO container still had water. Just checked the equipment and one of the Jebao is not working, specifically the one I bought before I left. I will attempt to fix it and if it doesn't come back online, I will contact the amazon seller. My skimmer isn't making bubbles so I have to see what is the issue there.

Update:

Skimmer was fine. I forgot I put it on a timer to turn off when reef energy is being dosed. Jebao pump had a snail caught in the propeller and is now working. I did some primary testing of parameters and cleaning. My tests came back with Ca: 480, Alk: 10.6, Nitrates:0, Phosphates: 0. I will test magnesium and trace tomorrow. My test before I left had Ca:430, Alk: 9.9, Phosphates and Nitrates: 0. I will have to cut my dosing down. I am dosing Reef Foundation A & B, Reef Energy A&B, and NoPox. I am able to leave the Reef Energy A&B out because the temp in the sump area is at 67 degrees.

Now to some pics.

Arrived home to a dirty tank:

16015137440_0b3c22242f_c.jpg

Had to change out filter sock in quick second DIY holder using 4inch PVC pipe. I may continue to use it instead of buying an actual holder because it gets the job done but I will cut better semi-circles on the bottom. I need to get more socks too.:

16200602211_2b497722fa_c.jpg

The Sump. Stuff everywhere. Dirty Skimmer. The waste container looks clear which means that the level must have risen.

16014990438_7fe08af519_c.jpg

Blastos

16200598381_4b9c657355_c.jpg

Chalice. It's starting to get some yellow in it.

15580062824_0af74de27f_c.jpg

Micromussa

16201645322_76b3691651_c.jpg

Rainbow Chalice. Picked it up from Reef Shac today.

16015111330_864950744c_c.jpg

16200620701_f112b3ebd4_c.jpg

Some SPS:

16176592356_cb774b23d8_c.jpg

16014957648_24644195f6_c.jpg

16176551876_69a0ab3ba1_c.jpg

Yumas and Blastos:

16176572496_8558652560_c.jpg

16202494905_b8a10eec2a_c.jpg

Ricordea florida and some small Yuma cut ups. Started with just 3 ricordea floridas. Sliced them up and now have what you see below.

15580014534_13e26ae483_c.jpg

My bleached Meat (no homo)

16015161320_c21b2b3004_c.jpg
UPDATE:

-Added lights to my sump area so I can see.

16218359582_9fe2d822cc_c.jpg

-Some the SPS that I received before my two week vacation are starting to get some color; they were slightly brown beforehand. I just fed the tank my coral food mix and my new sps are loving it so much that the mesenterial filaments are out to the extreme.

16219228355_12a030352f_c.jpg

15599313043_e0f18297f9_c.jpg

15596825994_2a5e1e0efd_c.jpg

-Have some small bubble algae spots. I need to get me an emerald crab this week. Also, I notice that my chalice has started to develop green on the side of it.

16217307331_f8aa395454_c.jpg

-Controller. I may try out the http://reefbuilders.com/2015/01/06/fishbit-aquarium-monitor-controller-launches-ces/'>Fishbit controller. It seems legit and promising.

Looking good man. Glad to hear the tank is doing well after the vacay. My sps do the same thing,one of my Mille's had LONG ASS filaments,its crazy as hell.

nice man what lights are those in the sump?

Thanks! Utlitech LED Pucks at Lowes. Battery operated. They were $12ish for 3 pucks.

Looking good man. Glad to hear the tank is doing well after the vacay. My sps do the same thing,one of my Mille's had LONG ASS filaments,its crazy as hell.

Thanks! Me too. I had to prepare the tank again. I have to leave for another 4 days this Thursday. I am glad that my equipment (manly doser) is performing as expected. Lol better be careful with that millie by other sps then. It will devour them.

Archived