Top Shelf Aquatics

The Cube - Phase III - Wrasse Collection pg. 7

ReviloM

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it is. I thought it was there to suck detritus through the bottom but it is closed off by glass. It doesn't cause any harm to the tank so I'm cool with it. I can't wait to transfer everything over (Phase II).

Just to answer this it is to suck water in from the lower water column and behind rocks. If you look the glass panel it has a slight gap in between the front acrylic panel with the venting. What happens is the water fills up the chamber just behind the venting and when the water level gets high enough spills over the glass into the main overflow chamber which creates suction through the vents. Hope this makes sense.

Following along. Learning all I can about auto-dosing.

I will try not to disappoint.

So, I just made it home and noticed my dosing pump box outside. I thought that it was at the main office (I live in an apartment). When I examined the box it was extremely dirty like it had been dragged across pavement. PacSun could have placed it inside another box but they didn't. I checked everything in the box and everything seems okay except for the optical sensor which seems to have viewable wires.
Dirty Exposed Box
15349602584_00a0647e15_c.jpg
Box filled with all the accessories
15785853749_bb487a55d4_c.jpg
Accessories out the box
15352248333_eb428b59c9_c.jpg
Exposed wires on optical sensor
15786155607_1a501ba73a_c.jpg
Unit
15969891961_f8f4f0e468_c.jpg

Summation of this build to-date:

-Setup Tank

-Added lights and mount (Radion XR15W Pro)

-Received doser (Pac-Sun Kore 5th Pro) Not running as of yet. Waiting on stand which is on backorder.

-Transferred livestock to new tank.

-Added new corals to tank along with old. (images coming soon)

Things to do:

-Get a reactor

-Get a used RKE unit

-Setup dosing unit for automation after careful testing of parameters.

Sweet build. How do you like the sca tank?

Thanks! I love SCA tanks. For the price, it is best plug in play tank to get. This is my second one from this company. I, now, refuse to spend excessively on a tank when I can get a quality tank from this company at a lesser price.

• 2 weeks later...

Any pics of your sump mod in action. I love the ingenuity on that i need a big refuge to feed my manderin and ruby dragonett. Id love a under skirt pic to see the plumbing. I cannot sleep tonight my sca is due in at 1 pm and im restless.. Thanks for the advice in my thread i cant wait to follow your build

Carissa

post-86646-0-45001900-1418719165_thumb.jpg

Any pics of your sump mod in action. I love the ingenuity on that i need a big refuge to feed my manderin and ruby dragonett. Id love a under skirt pic to see the plumbing. I cannot sleep tonight my sca is due in at 1 pm and im restless.. Thanks for the advice in my thread i cant wait to follow your build

Carissa

Sorry, I only took the before and after. All I did was remove the silicone using a razor. It's super easy to do. You can compare it in the images to see what I removed. You could remove all the baffles for a full on Fuge box. You will need to find a way to reduce bubbles to your return pump. I did not use the stock pump that came with it. I used an old pump from my broken Nuvo Fusion 30L. It sucks water from the bottom which would benefit you because it would had for chaeto to be sucked under the pump.

I haven't taken an image yet of the stand because it's madness under there right now. I just up my doser and haven't cleaned everything up yet. I have been focused on getting it online because I leave for a 2 week vacation in 2 days so that has been my main priority at the moment.

any full setup pics with the new toys? :D

Not yet. I will clean everything up and take one tomorrow. I will also get an image of the corals so I can do a before and after for growth. I will gone two weeks so that will be the perfect time to test.

A small update:

I set up the Kore 5th doser last week. B.L.U.F, it failed me this past weekend(Friday-Saturday). The ATO did not trigger and I lost at least 2 gallons of water. The distance between the water level and the ATO float sensor was about 4 inches. My salinity when I tested it was at 1.029. I lost two acro frags, STN'd 3 acros, and bleached my Acanthophyllia. It sucked to see that but I can't be mad at the doser because I didn't give it enough time to make sure everything was working. I spent time speaking with a rep from Pac Sun yesterday and everything works fine now. I have been tweaking it to make sure it is 100% before I leave on Thursday.

W'oh! Cracking fun build! Following.. ;)

Thanks!

Thats why i was thinking of doing a calcium carbonate reactor rather than 3 part dosing.

The PacSun was going to be the doser.

Ouch for your losses.

Hope they all get straightened out.

Thats why i was thinking of doing a calcium carbonate reactor rather than 3 part dosing. The PacSun as going to be the doser. Ouch for your losses. Hope they all get straightened out.

I was thinking about that as well but I prefer the 2 part and the doser is a great investment. Now that it works well, I am very confident and happen with my buy. They are constantly adding updates to better the software based on user input which IMO is a good thing. I was happy that a rep was online to assist, otherwise, I would have been frustrated with this unit. Thanks, I will replace those later anyways so that's why I am not too upset about the acros that are 100% gone. It could have been worse (losing everything).

I, also, had to buy another RW-4 since the RW-8 was too much. It should arrive tomorrow. I will see if I can fit (4) RW-4s in the tank without any issues. 2 on the bottom to sweep the bottom of the tank, 1 mid height, and the final one near the top for increased surface tension.

I bought 2 rw4s there due in the 19th all that came today was my salt. Sigh.. But i was thinking remove the baffles and make them into a corner overflow in the sump so the pump is cubed in the fuge will be slower flow and a L shape.. Ill make a sketch of it befor i do it. Haha thanks for the info i cannot wait for more pics

I bought 2 rw4s there due in the 19th all that came today was my salt. Sigh.. But i was thinking remove the baffles and make them into a corner overflow in the sump so the pump is cubed in the fuge will be slower flow and a L shape.. Ill make a sketch of it befor i do it. Haha thanks for the info i cannot wait for more pics

Just remove every other baffle and cut the glass where the intake of the sump is for a perfect square which would be easier. Look at the image below:

Remove the Red line area

15852134090_a19768ee70_c.jpg

What if that price you cut off put that on the other side to make 2 cubes and the fudge will be a t shape hmmmm when my tank ones in ill have a lot of toying to do, what sealer do I use to put glass back in, ge silicone 1

Always love a good LED vs. T5 debate!

Sounds like you have a really good idea how you want to put this together. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this up and running! I am curious what made the final decision on the Kore 5th? It's a pretty sleek doser from the looks and the read on their site.

I am curious what made the final decision on the Kore 5th? It's a pretty sleek doser from the looks and the read on their site.

I am curious as to why it's not more popular than it is to be honest. 5 pumps + ATO + Temp probe all for less than $400 when it was on sale for Black Friday. That and auto water change add on. It's a beast unit.

Archived