SaltCritters.com

CoralVue T5/LED fixtures, $100

farkwar

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be an easy swap.

I'm sure you can find a good fan on newegg to swap it out with.

Honestly haven't touched my fixture since i did the initial inspection.

jedimasterben

Anyone out there that will NOT be using their 36" unit for a while AND wants to switch to HEP ballasts? If so, if you allow me to use your unit for a project (provided you also send the ballasts), I will modify it for you for free. If you want to change the fans, etc, then I can do that, as well. I need to be able to run a lot of bulbs at once to break them in, I have a dozen to do.

jedimasterben

I'll sell you my 36" four bulb at a deal Ben. :) not gonna use it, got a cheap LED to use for now while I figure out what my end goal will be.

No, I do not need it, I only need to break in a dozen bulbs at 50 hours each.

jedimasterben

So what exactly are you testing the bulbs for? Color? Par?

Both, and just general comparisons. I like the ATI Coral Plus and Blue Plus, I like the new Giesemann bulbs, so I'm doing a test of the two. Thankfully Coralvue provided the Giesemann bulbs for it, cuts the cost of the test down to around $120!

jedimasterben

Spectrometry? As in you're going to get a spectrum reading to see if its accurateish?

Should be interesting.

Yeah, it is supposed to work great, but my current kit I just can't get calibrated and it continue working. I think the webcam has something wrong with it.

jedimasterben

Looks like Public Labs has another, newer, kit available. It does at least have the necessary angles for proper diffraction, maybe I can give mine another go.

Neat. last time I tried to find one I always got stuck with only expensive search results. Like excess of $1000 some being $13000+

Heck I can't even find a budget oscilloscope.

Not that I really need either. I was simply interested in testing the validity of certain claims made in this article about the dimming methods of certain fixtures.

http://aquarium-digest.com/2010/06/30/led-light-review-tmc-xg-1500-maxspect-more/

Then again the same article claims that radions have fans because the drivers use resistive dimming completely ignoring the fact that Radions have an undersized heatsink for passive cooling given the number of leds worded very poorly as it implies the leds aren't generating the heat that the fan is there to reduce.

If the article seems familiar it's because the author, Steve Allen, is buddies with Carl Stromeyer the author of this article.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquarium_lighting.html

Many of their articles link to each others and another character named fishservice of http://aquariumopinions.com/ also gets in the loop sometimes.

I have an 8x and 4x 36" still in boxes. 6x 24" in box still, too.

I'm game. This is why I bought them, to mod.

I have the Hamilton 6x 36" too, no box. But it took a hit in shipping, housing beat up a little. It has a tank mounting bracket though.

jedimasterben

They need to be SD218-40 UNI, with the UNI being universal input voltage.

Dimmable is bleh and it kills the bulbs faster than normal since it's not sending the same voltage to the lamps all the time, the lamps just aren't made for that (despite what you'll hear from ATI, etc).

But yes, that ebay listing is for the proper ballasts.

Neat. last time I tried to find one I always got stuck with only expensive search results. Like excess of $1000 some being $13000+

Heck I can't even find a budget oscilloscope.

Not that I really need either. I was simply interested in testing the validity of certain claims made in this article about the dimming methods of certain fixtures.

http://aquarium-digest.com/2010/06/30/led-light-review-tmc-xg-1500-maxspect-more/

Then again the same article claims that radions have fans because the drivers use resistive dimming completely ignoring the fact that Radions have an undersized heatsink for passive cooling given the number of leds worded very poorly as it implies the leds aren't generating the heat that the fan is there to reduce.

If the article seems familiar it's because the author, Steve Allen, is buddies with Carl Stromeyer the author of this article.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquarium_lighting.html

Many of their articles link to each others and another character named fishservice of http://aquariumopinions.com/ also gets in the loop sometimes.

All those articles are garbage written by people with little to no knowledge of the subjects. Blech. And unfortunately I see them get linked to an unfortunate amount of times by people that don't know better :(

Let's give someone who doesn't know how to change them out a chance.

A few days, or so.

If not, I'll send mine to you for science.

jedimasterben

Let's give someone who doesn't know how to change them out a chance.

A few days, or so.

If not, I'll send mine to you for science.

Ok, sounds good. I'll have one of six sets of bulbs finishing up today, will start on the next set tomorrow lol.

All those articles are garbage written by people with little to no knowledge of the subjects. Blech. And unfortunately I see them get linked to an unfortunate amount of times by people that don't know better :(

I realized they were full of crap when i noticed constant inferring that a certain light puts out more PUR than other lights as if PUR was an easy to measure thing.

Anyone out there that will NOT be using their 36" unit for a while AND wants to switch to HEP ballasts? If so, if you allow me to use your unit for a project (provided you also send the ballasts), I will modify it for you for free. If you want to change the fans, etc, then I can do that, as well. I need to be able to run a lot of bulbs at once to break them in, I have a dozen to do.

You still need a 36" fixture? I can send you mine :)

Any chance you can just slap the nano box led's on their too? haha ! You should just sell a service!

Archived