Coral Vue Hydros

CoralVue T5/LED fixtures, $100

farkwar

jedimasterben

Thanks for the link and info.. How hard is it to switch them out? Would those even fit? They look rather long.

Dunno. Measure, here is the datasheet for the ballast: http://www.hepgroup.net/proimages/Product_spec/universal_ballast/S1218-40_UNI.pdf

Both have seven wires going to the T5 bulbs with one linking the two bulbs, so all eight pins are used. Just make sure they line up.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on simple physics the bulbs certainly are getting some cooling. Just because the fan isn't blowing directly on them doesn't mean they won't get the benefits of the cool air the fans are constantly blowing in.

A far more realistic issue for the bulbs longevity is the workhorse ballasts are instant start ballasts.

ATI units barely cool the bulbs themselves. The fans are there for the ballasts. T5 has never needed active cooling and never will.

I have some HEP programmed start ballasts. I will see if I can shove them in there to replace the workhorse ones. Since you can get a pair for $50 on ebay I would say it's a worthwhile upgrade.

The pot for the LED also work with my manual PWM dimmer as well. I priced it out and ~$250 gets you tons of power from Luxeon K RB one channel with the stock pot dimming and fan upgrade. Use the same heatsink as well.

Not bashing this deal.. because it is a good deal. Just something to be aware of. I am using the aquatic life fixtures with no cooling and I have noticed my bulbs getting "burn" rings towards the ends from over heating.

This never happened on my ATIs with active cooling. The ATI unit does cool the bulbs, by blowing heat away from them, you don't need to have fans blowing directly on them. ATI fixtures have the ballasts and bulbs seperated by an aluminum plate with holes on one end of the plate. The fans blow on the ballasts, then flows through the holes, travels across the length of bulbs, and then out the other end of the fixture.

Not bashing this deal.. because it is a good deal. Just something to be aware of. I am using the aquatic life fixtures with no cooling and I have noticed my bulbs getting "burn" rings towards the ends from over heating.

The black rings on the ends of lamp aren't from overheating. That's material from the cathode that gets blasted off whenever the ballast ignites the lamp.

jedimasterben

That's not the cooling, that is the cheap instant or rapid start ballasts that are used in the cheap fixtures.

EDIT: Got ninja'd, see above

If a unit is not a $500+ ATI, Giesemann, etc. it's not going to have high quality ballasts. The main attraction of this unit is that the housing screams mod me while still looking clean. Drop some K's in there and run at half juice and you got tons of PAR with the awesome color of T5's. Then another $25 per pair of bulbs gets you good ballasts.

8x24

Still don't know what I'm going to hang this over. :P

I'm not worried about the usefulness if the reflectors so much as maintaining as much if a clean look as possible.

60 gallon cube? :D

I got 4 of the 2 lamp retrofits and I'm gonna make a different mount for the bulb holders so they don't take up so damn much space.

Or someone might offer me $1200 to build them an awesome hybrid reef light, who knows. 6 light fixtures in two weeks, neighbors are going to think someTHing funCky going on. REEFER MADNESS!!!

My favorite was when I had my blues on and the pizza delivery guy asked me what I was doing because my windows were glowing! I told him "Im growing stuff...corals that is"! HAHAHAHA!

So has anyone gotten around to swapping out the leds yet? :)

You want one?

Ill build you one.

Swap out the workhorse ballasts for HEP ballasts. Put some Noctua fans in there.

3 channels of Philips Ks.

1 or 2 channels of violets.

a channel of blue or cool blue.

Wireless controller.

Would fit nice over that 57 gallon you have.

Planning to switch out the ballasts. Going to buy them this weekend. Is switching them out as simple as switching the wires from one to another? or do i need to add or change any wiring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Did anyone start modifying this yet? I would love some pics. Mine are still in the box.

Dave's got some new pucks out would love to see who did a retro already so I can do mine.

jedimasterben

Ok, so picture the V2 PCB from Nanobox and then picture it with ~10-15% more output :P

So what is it you guys are waiting on? Gut the fixture, swap out the ballasts and LED stuff, put in a proper heatsink, wire everything back up, and enjoy :)

Archived