Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

CoralVue T5/LED fixtures, $100

farkwar

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay moving forward... ordered a 2" wide heatsink from heatsink usa...

Anyone have an idea what sort of route I should take? Are nano-pucks easier to install since I am limited on tools?

Okay moving forward... ordered a 2" wide heatsink from heatsink usa...

Anyone have an idea what sort of route I should take? Are nano-pucks easier to install since I am limited on tools?

I'd recommend the Nanobox pucks, they're very easy to work with.

• 3 weeks later...

I bitched out and decided to send the fixture to Dave so he can turn it into a retro. Just don't have the time and I know he can do a much cleaner job than I ever could.

I got something fun in the mail today.

IMG_20151222_010706_zpszhp70mjg.jpg

It presents a challenge for fitment. But I have an idea how already. :)

Note the size difference from the prior ballast. Also note how I need wire now because the old ballasts were prewired.

IMG_20151222_050121_zpsckqk0hyq.jpg

They fit behind the reflectors. Not ideal but workable.

IMG_20151222_050316_zpsdcfwilzd.jpg

So guys... what tank will fit my retro? I am sticking it over a 40 Breeder right now but obviously there are much cleaner rimless tanks out there.

36" long 4 bulb coralvue fixture with 4 nanobox pucks in the middle. Anything out there with ideal dimensions for this set up? Is a 48" tank too long, should I stick to 36"? What about width of the tank since I only have 1 row of pucks?

Cadlights:

68g versa: 35.5" x 19.5" x 21.5"

92g versa: 47.5" x 19.5" x 21.5"

70g artisan: 35.5" x 23.5" x 18" (would need the overflow custom moved to corner)

Deep Blue (My favorite tanks, I like that the bottom has a rim):

Edge 57g rimless: 36" x 18" x 20" (overflow in middle, blah)

80g frag: 48" x 24" x 16"

34g frag: 36" x 18" x 12"

SC aquariums ??? none of the dimensions look that great until you get to 100g?

I think I'm going to stick my light over a trash can for grow out.

After I can find a source for wire.

If I could get some 6v Luxeon m Royal blue that would be nice as well.

Found a Deep Blue 80g, they want 550 for the tank + stand or 600 for tank + stand + sump/plumbing. Stand is custom and nicely done.

Any idea what these tanks sell for? I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Light came in today and I was at work till 11pm, poo!

Need to go to the hardware store tomorrow to pick up stuff to hang it from the ceiling and pick up a sheet of acrylic so I can get the LED's covered.

Dave added some extra stuff:
Things I was able to do that are not the norm
  • Add the adjustable power for the fans
  • Internal drivers - You will only have the bluefish cable coming out of unit
  • Add an extra white channel - This will allow if you want one side to be more blue - Really cool for LPS/SPS side.

He also sent both the bluefish and the apex hook up, wasn't expecting both so that was cool :)

IMG_20160116_005315_zpsqbps5r4m.jpg

Why does the bluefish need to come out of the fixture at all? Once you do Blinkup, you don't touch the controller again.

My guess is to make it user friendly to swap between apex and bluefish. I think I could put it inside easily enough though.

Never hooked up bluefish before so not sure what it entails, their user manual is not loading.

jedimasterben

Idk, its how Dave made it. Maybe so I can swap the controller for apex easily?

I could put it inside easily though, never hooked up bluefish before so not sure what it entails, their user manual is not loading.

Download the app, make an account, do Blinkup, done, stick it in the fixture and forget about it. ;)

Sweet ass retro! I'm running a quad with no t5's over the versa 68. I think my four pucks is perfect for the 36". Since you have the t5's you could probably go 48"' but just know it would only mean it lights up the edges, not the greatest for all coral placement. I'm thinking of moving from my 68 back to my 45 now that the divorce is over and I can go in there to get my tanks and sumps.

Okay so have acrylic shield all done.

Anyone have an idea for a better hanging kit? or a DIY? I don't trust this one, I feel like it slips too much. Maybe from the added weight of the heatsink and such.

Archived