Top Shelf Aquatics

help I need an answer quick

amphipod

I get that it's not exactly the same as drinking water from the ocean but I'm not convinced we (actually I know we don't) all need to now rush to the hospital if we dip our finger in our tank and taste it. People cut their hands and work in tanks daily - it's no big deal IMO. Our bodies are a lot stronger than many people want to believe. If our tanks were so toxic nobody would have them.

Yes, BUT... amphipod has also stated in this thread that he is sick...

Wonder why...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monsters Inside Me!!

The one were the girl died because she had an open wound and stuck her hand in the tank?

Wait, that actually happened? My wife is completely unable to sit through an entire episode of Monsters Inside Me.

Yes, BUT... amphipod has also stated in this thread that he is sick...

Wonder why...

Perhaps he has a cold? Sorry, I'm just not a dramatic person. I'll bow out of this thread now and go lick some live rock.

Get some specialized salt made for the hobby.. if you dont feel like dropping the money on testing your salinity, then just add 1/2 cup of salt per gallon, and you should be damn near close to 1.025; which is a good number to keep your salinity level at... I test my water using a refractometer after I mix my salt, but it almost always hits the same exact mark every time.

Salt
Measuring cup

Im assuming that you're using TAP WATER? If so, go get store bought RO.DI water for your water changes and top-offs.

Do you add salt to everything you eat prior to tasting it?!

Wait, that actually happened? My wife is completely unable to sit through an entire episode of Monsters Inside Me.

It was a long time ago but a little girl had a cut and she loved chasing the fish through the tank and she caught a parasite I believe and it killed her -/o.o\-

Edit:Man I can't remeber anything...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003001/Girl-13-faces-having-hand-amputated-scratching-fish-tank.html I wasn't even close

I get that it's not exactly the same as drinking water from the ocean but I'm not convinced we (actually I know we don't) all need to now rush to the hospital if we dip our finger in our tank and taste it. People cut their hands and work in tanks daily - it's no big deal IMO. Our bodies are a lot stronger than many people want to believe. If our tanks were so toxic nobody would have them.

I am not saying be super paranoid, but I am saying be safe. In my case I wear gloves because I do frequently have small open cuts on my hands. Mycobacterium marinum is another not as fatal but can be disease that fish get and can translate to us.

Another reason why these are more prevalent in our tanks than the ocean is the way fish are captured then shipped to us in bulk. A lot of it is more prevalent in freshwater due to poor conditions at farm facilities that allow bacteria like this to run rampant in the system before we buy the fish and put it in our tanks, forever seeding our tanks with non beneficial bacterias. We do a lot of very unnatural things when it comes to reef keeping, its a good idea to not treat a tank like you would the ocean.

Side note on mycobacteria marinum aka fish TB, it is a lot more prevalent in freshwater tanks specifically labyrinth fish tanks(bettas and gouramis)

The reason people get close to having amputations with it is not because it is hard to cure but it is hard to cure if you don't know what you have. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with symptoms of diseases associated with fish tanks because a lot of them are resistant to certain antibiotics.

This guy trolled you guys so hard. If you look at the way he talks and his actual knowledge of aiptasia's and equipment it is very obvious. I mean his name is Amphipod, most people who have a SW tank don't even know those by name!

This guy trolled you guys so hard. If you look at the way he talks and his actual knowledge of aiptasia's and equipment it is very obvious. I mean his name is Amphipod, most people who have a SW tank don't even know those by name!

I think the topic has since been changed to nasty crap that lives in a fish tank that you can't see.

Perhaps he has a cold? Sorry, I'm just not a dramatic person. I'll bow out of this thread now and go lick some live rock.

Yeah, I'm not the one saying he should go to the ER right this minute. But if you're licking up saltwater from a tank and happen to be sick, maaaaaaybe there's a correlation? Maybe not.

Still, there are other, more accurate and safe ways to test tank water...

It was a long time ago but a little girl had a cut and she loved chasing the fish through the tank and she caught a parasite I believe and it killed her -/o.o\-

Edit:Man I can't remeber anything...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2003001/Girl-13-faces-having-hand-amputated-scratching-fish-tank.html I wasn't even close

Gonna be completely honest here.... I've probably ingested a hundred gallons various poop water in my animal keeping career. Salmonella infested turtle water, moldy poison dart frog water, dinoflagellate infested reef water, and brain eating amoeba infested cichlid water. IF I haven't died or unwittingly been infected by something straight out of the movie Alien, then 4x5 is probably right and he has a cold.

Sometimes I like to be dramatic for the sake of providing myself a laugh.

But seriously, if my hand caught Myobacterium Marinum or something like that and I had to get my hand chopped off. I'd hold a grudge.

Wow and your wife still kisses you?!Geez she must be pretty hard core most chicks would be running outta the door screaming AHHHHH OMGOMGOMGOMG IM GUNNA DIE GET THE F*** AWAY FROM ME EWWWWW

well as I said before my tasting has yeilded great results in growing plankton, valonia, aiptasia, and polycheate worms, and various other algae. just my recent problem came, since i just got back from school i have to wait for my brother to pick me up in about 5 or more minutes to take me to the store for crickets, hydrometer, new salt, and a cool new led set I seen for like 12 bucks. Oh btw i was checking to see how a wierd 2 inch pink bristle worm I isolated from his "friends" and while moving around the shell he hides under to show him to my mother I accidentaly pinched him, should he be okay? he kept wriggling afterwards so I got a little worried.

Also i'm not trolling I just didn't know how they would fare

Yeah I googled of my issues, but to no avail, there wasn't enough info about aiptasia ills. I at present have harpactoids bubble and Stein algae. I got other aiptasia in a in a different enclosure

Refractometers are not cheap you know, there were also none at the pet store, is there any way to save them if by any chance there was any iodine in the salt?

There like 20 bucks on amazon. Just curious how do you determine salinity by tasting?

come on I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch, but I know better than to swallow the water I always spit it out. So I also just added some fresh water the water by relative taste was saltier, I couldn't discern it a few hours ago but I've ben coughing up a ton of phlem since then, how soon should I see if it worked?

I know the salt by how Petco water sample #1 tastes like

You aren't even a good troll...

NorthGaHillbilly

You aren't even a good troll...

Hey now Johnny-Come-Lately, He might be loosing stream, but if you compare the # of words between his posts and the posts of those getting flustered, He's a bonafied all-star.

Archived