Cultivated Reef

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Kat - I don't comment on your thread much but I am a lurker and learned a lot from it . Here's some details for ya both!

I take a little tank water and mix in 2 drops of the phytofeast and 2 drops of Rotifeast. 3 drops of the oysterfeast. Then I take 2 scoops(scoop supplied) of reef chili and 3 scoops of reef roids . The scoop is similar in size to Saliferts test kits scoop. Then I scrape a small amount of mysis and Rod's with a grapefruit spoon. By a small amount I mean just filling up the tip with mysis and then Rod's. Then I mix (not shake ) and slowly broadcast cast feed the tank by pouring in small amounts in different areas of flow. I feed this every night. We feed flake and pellets during the day to the fish and inverts.

Hope this helps- let me know if you have any other questions!

For sure- new things seem to "pop up " after months and months

Thanks for the recipe - sounds like you are on the heavier side of feeding. Thant's what i'm doing right now, too, while monitoring my water parameters closely. So far, no concerns. Hopefully with water changes , things will stay stable!

holy crap dude i just saw you got tank of the month! Congrats haha . that was a long time coming, your tank is inspirational to many!

Sk8n Reefer

Thanks for the recipe - sounds like you are on the heavier side of feeding. Thant's what i'm doing right now, too, while monitoring my water parameters closely. So far, no concerns. Hopefully with water changes , things will stay stable!

Yes- I am feeding heavy for sure. I use GFO regularly to help with w/c's to keep nutrients down. I figure in the wild they are constantly being offered various foods so It can't hurt to keep the food flowing ?

Sk8n Reefer

holy crap dude i just saw you got tank of the month! Congrats haha . that was a long time coming, your tank is inspirational to many!

Thanks jeremycee ! It's been a great experience and humbling to have the support from everyone on here! The yr. went quick for sure ?

Sk8n Reefer

Here's some updated shots from today

Bonsai Acro encrusting a lot lately- my food stream has been going directly over him and it's really spurred on some growth

msqYPpl.jpg

Blue Acro is holding its color really good- I was worried about it browning but it's doing well. Not growing fast but staying healthy

WqqPZOU.jpg

Bubblegum is steadily growing and I am just loving the color of this mille- almost encrusting to the purple rim cap on one side and green poci on the other.

yul3KeY.jpg

My little Birdsnest frag is growing into a large piece like its mother was- not quite but soon enough.

U2pqSvQ.jpg

Some zoos peeking out behind some shrooms and a few Xenia alluding me from time to time

m0aAiUY.jpg

Some group shots.

Almost time to frag the green Poci again

gdAuQqV.jpg

jLKpOdw.jpg

Sk8n Reefer

Some ipad shots-sorry about the heavy blue- shows the encrusting bonsai surrounding the rock. Not a ton of flow here -probably could use some more.

7a4ed80ade2fa68ebe86233bf4a654c2_zpsc5ah

Clauvlaria making a come back- I've traded it in about 4 times then finally took the whole colony in- thought I got it all ?

df9af1ee60ca807f941b6d03170428d7_zpshcwl

Sk8n Reefer

Hmmm- there's what appears to be a SCAquariums 50 cube w/stand and sump for sale in my area on Craigslist- brand new never had water in it............although it's not the size I was wanting I am thinking hard about it

TheKleinReef

Hmmm- there's what appears to be a SCAquariums 50 cube w/stand and sump for sale in my area on Craigslist- brand new never had water in it............although it's not the size I was wanting I am thinking hard about it

No thinking.

Do it.

Sk8n Reefer

No thinking.

Do it.

Get it!

? sent the email- playing the waiting game- I wanted to see if it was low iron glass or not. Didn't list protein skimmer that usually comes with that package asked about that also. No phone number listed to call so we will see.

Love the latest pics, especially the group shot of the clavularia and the surrounding life. Maybe once i starve that predator worm I found I can grow some of these, I've always liked them but have never had any success. :)

Sk8n Reefer

Love the latest pics, especially the group shot of the clavularia and the surrounding life. Maybe once i starve that predator worm I found I can grow some of these, I've always liked them but have never had any success. :)

thanks Mark, worms - Ya I've been looking for a 2"+ bristle worm I saw one night- no luck so far

Alright - starfire glass and protein skimmer. Sc aquarium- I am going to look at it tonight. Smaller than what I wanted but still 3 times larger than I have now. Pretty good deal. Concerned that it's never had water in it.

thanks Mark, worms - Ya I've been looking for a 2"+ bristle worm I saw one night- no luck so far

Alright - starfire glass and protein skimmer. Sc aquarium- I am going to look at it tonight. Smaller than what I wanted but still 3 times larger than I have now. Pretty good deal. Concerned that it's never had water in it.

Some scotch tape and Elmer's glue and it will be fine.

Sk8n Reefer

Nice pics! (as usual!!)

Thanks Kimberbee !

Some scotch tape and Elmer's glue and it will be fine.

Gotta go with duct tape atleast ?
Sk8n Reefer

so, did ya get it??????

Why yes I did - had to go for it- beautiful tank. I thought there was a sump but no- so he took another 100.00 off. Got the 50gal. Tank, stand and protein skimmer for a great deal. Really nice guy to deal with- gave me a written guarantee for a week that it won't leak or he'll take it back- can't beat that. Hopefully do a leak test tomorrow. The wife loves the tank ?. I am on the hunt for a sump now

Sk8n Reefer

Awesome! Congratulations - better start a new build thread :)

I love this shot :wub: Everything is looking great!

Thanks teeny! That's a cool little section of the tank with lots of different life- about 3-4 Pocillopora frags I never mounted too. Ya definitely start a new thread when the time comes. Still have quite a bit of planning- but that's half the fun!

ahhh yea!!!

That's what I get for combing through Craigslist everyday ?
lilmatty5dimes

Congrats on TOTM. Definitely have worked hard at this one and can't wait to see what you do with the newly acquired 50g. I had a friend tell me to do daily water changes and after seeing this think I'm going to start feeding a lil more hook up my gfo and make 5g of water and change out a gallon or so a day. Looks great.

Archived