Pod Your Reef

Mirya's Floridian Flower Garden - All kinds of new things!

Mirya

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the compliments guys and gals. I really love watching and photographing this tank -- and I know basslet enjoys watching me!

Today is my birthday, kinda one of those milestone birthdays that I'm not entirely happy about crossing... So I decided I needed some fishy retail therapy! But before I show off my purchases, let me show an updated picture of the baby. I've been squirting oyster feast his/her way nearly daily. Today I gave it a brine shrimp which it valiently tried to eat, but I think failed in the end. I wonder if it actually thinks it is a Ricordea and not a RFA.

Baby_zpswbv8zgy6.jpg

Now, on to the purchases! My jawfish managed to kill one of my St. Thomas mushrooms. He decided that piling up substrate on the mushrooms was his new thing to do. I was unburying them daily. The two mushrooms I had had set their feet down on the rock and the rock is at the base of my rockwork, so there was no moving them. They did slowly move on their own though. One has successfully moved out of range and is doing well. The other tried, but withered and melted. But, one of my purchases today was a piece of rubble with 2 St. T and a baby. I'm looking forward to seeing how their colors change under my lights. Top down showing the two larger shrooms:

Shrooms_zpsmfjtbwgq.jpg

Side view showing the more smooth bubbled shroom:

Shroom_zpsbsgc0fjq.jpg

The other purchase I made was some serpent starts. I've really wanted a harlequin serpent for this tank, but it is very rare for my LFS here to get them. But, one of them had not just harlequin, but also a neat green banded one. (They both came in the LFS Caribbean shipment along with the St. T.) So, I picked up both! Here they are drip acclimating:

Stars_zpsdjkjdehz.jpg

Once down acclimating the harlequin quickly darted into the rockwork:

Harlequin_zpsglqqptmp.jpg

The green banded one posed a little bit longer for me:

Green%20Star2_zpsltzykwpx.jpg

Green%20Star_zpskg0oknkl.jpg

FlowerMama

Man I'm jealous. My harlequin is grey and white. Yours is striking w/ its dark black. I love those guys.

Hey, how's your leg???

And Happy Birthday again to you. I understand those types of milestones. I hit 40 once, next Jan it's 45 for me. UGH.

those serpents both look awesome, my lfs had a few boring ones and I am definitely just waiting for the day they get some cool ones like that in. lovin the natural look to the tank too, algae is beautiful.

HarryPotter

Tank looks amazing! I love those sea stars as well.

Its a cool look with the assorted (controlled) algae. How do you prevent it from spreading?

Happy Birthday! I LOVE the new additions. Those are stunning and super unique harlequin stars. Nice find!

Thank you for all the birthday wishes! It was a great weekend. So not looking forward to going to work in the morning. ;)

Here' is a better picture of the new St. T mushies I snapped tonight:

StT_zpskfnpifhw.jpg

Hey, how's your leg???

Still attached, though I threaten it with a saw daily! Been wearing the aircast the past few weeks, which means that my good leg has felt a little cranky. Overall the fractured legs hurts less, but aches every now and then over the fracture. I see my sports doctor Thursday for a recheck. Presumably that is when I will get a bone scan. The weather was gorgeous over the long weekend. I missed not being able to go out and run.

lovin the natural look to the tank too, algae is beautiful.

Its a cool look with the assorted (controlled) algae. How do you prevent it from spreading?

Glad you guys like the look of the tank. Shall we call it shabby chic? LOL The only algae that I intentially got for the tank is some Halimeda. I have some Codium, two types of red stuff (maybe Halymenia and Gracilaria? I have no idea), a few Mermaid's Cups, and the inevitable Bryopsis and green bubble algae that all sprung up on my live rock. Whenever I do a water change I siphon out some of the green bubble algae and physically remove some of the Bryopsis. I've had to harvest some of the Halimeda and Codium once each. I don't have any hermits or herbivorous fish. Just your typical snail clean-up crew from ReefCleaners. I have a tiny conch as well. I'm also horrible about testing my water parameters, so I can't tell you where my phos and nitrates sit... Yeah, I'd love it if I didn't have any Bryopsis and green bubble algae, but I know my maintenance style atm doesn't equate with that!

FlowerMama

I'm sure it must be driving you crazy to have that cast on.

The green on those St. Thomas is such a pretty shade, the light colored center and some striping make them beautiful. FTS???

• 3 weeks later...

So, Aquascapers put up some more stock on their website today. I managed to place an order before everything got sniped! I'll be getting Miami Sunset vice zoas, Searchlight zoas, Biosphere zoas, some more St. Thomas (not super fancy colored ones, those got sniped fast!), and a Muricea elongata gorg. I'm very excited, I've wanted to place an order with Aquascapers for some time!

Before I get to the Aquascapers pics, I have a picture I took the other day of my Harlequin serpent who thought he was being super sneaky and hiding:

Hiding_zpssg5yazvv.jpg

Now on to the Aquascapers stuff! I'm really happy with the order. :) Here is the new gorg (Muricea elongata) in a lengthwise FTS:

FTSlong_zpsqphsb7vq.jpg

Now... ignore how gross the rocks are with algae... Tank cleaning is this weekend. Here are the two St. T mushies I picked up. THey still look kinda pissy, but considering they just came in today I think they look great. (For those unfamiliar with St. Thomas shrooms, they like to puke their guts out and look like hell at the slightest provocation):

newStT_zpsiripsjmb.jpg

Here are the new sociatus Zoathids. From left to right the varieties are Searchlight, Miami Sunset, and Biosphere:

SocZoas_zps8czqxatl.jpg

Oh man, I saw the new Zoas as my NanoBox light was in its actinic dusk mode... Wow, do they pop! The pink on the Miami Sunsets really glows. I'll have to take some orange filter shots of them sometime to recreate the effect.

I see you had a birthday a few weeks back, Happy belated Birthday ! Milestone birthdays give you pause for a moment to think, but you really know time is going by when your birthday now qualifies you for senior citizen discounts, which is where I am at!

Those Miami Sunsets! :wub:

Is there anything special about St. Thomas shroom care compared to other shrooms? Are they the ones with a tendency to eat little fish?

Those Miami Sunsets! :wub:

Is there anything special about St. Thomas shroom care compared to other shrooms? Are they the ones with a tendency to eat little fish?

Yeah, the Miami Sunsets are my favorite too and the whole reason I wanted to order!

St. Thomas shrooms like low flow. More than a little flow and they won't fully fluff out their bubbles. If you move them around or they don't like the flow they are in (or your jawfish dumps substrate on them...) they will puke out their mesenterial filaments and look like hell. I've had them in a variety of lighting scenarios, they seem to want a little more light than Ricordea florida. I've even had some in the middle of my tank up on some rocks, so they are getting relatively high light for my tank and they have been really happy.

I don't think they are as notorious fish eaters like elephant ear mushrooms, but they will eat brine, mysis, etc that falls on them. They have a more active feeding response than my Discosoma neglecta or my Ricordea florida. Kinda on par with the feeding response from my Palythoa grandis. I did see an old post by Gena who said one of her really big St. Thomas mushrooms ate a dottyback. IDK how common that is though.

Archived