Cultivated Reef

Mirya's Floridian Flower Garden - All kinds of new things!

Mirya

Peppermint basslet was feeling photogenic tonight. He really likes his cave in the new scape. While he does cruise around the tank, he really likes to hang out in front of it:

basslet1_zpsyain7fpz.jpg

basslet2_zpsb6grcsqv.jpg

Also, I played with my orange safety glasses and iPhone camera tonight. Just see how my P. grandis glow!

PGrandis_zpschiqhcha.jpg

To the right of the P. grandis is one of the new baby Rose corals. You can see how awesome they flouresce too!

Part of RFA island:

RFAs_zpsga3qqweb.jpg

And here are some of the Hidden Cup Corals. They don't flouresce so much as they just look cool:

cups_zpsxwbdnitm.jpg

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had several of those hidden cups hitchhike in on some rock from Gulf Live Rock. They glow a real pretty green under my LED's. And they are getting a lot bigger than I thought they would.

**knock on wood** Still no leaks! The real test is going to be this upcoming week -- the husband and I will be out of town Wednesday-Friday. I'm interviewing at Iowa State University. Need to double check the Apex Leak Detection unit I bought and do a dry run... or I suppose that would be a wet run. I want it to turn off the main circulation pump, auto top off, and heater in the event of a leak, but leave the Gyre going. And send me an e-mail.

The rose corals and cup corals have been settling in great! The roses are working hard at regrowing over their skeletons already where they had tissue recession from the trauma of shipping. Maybe next weekend I can get some pictures. I went to the Western Ohio Reef Club frag swap yesterday. I picked up a pair of orange safety glasses from them, like so:

uv100orange.gif

Awesome $5 spent! You look at the tank with the blue LEDs only and the glasses cut out the blue so you just see the florescence. The baby cup corals have some nice red florescence to them. I'll have to see if I can photograph it through the glasses.

And lastly, a question... I was unhappy with my Tunze 9002 skimmer. I felt like it never skimmed well and I always had microbubbles. Then I switched to the Tunze 9001. It skims a little bit better, but I still have microbubbles. Argh. Since I reset up the tank I actually haven't had a skimmer running, but I'd like to have one. I'm contemplating going with a Pico Skim 2.0. I have one on my Nuvo 8 and it is super easy to dial in and no microbubbles. On the other hand there is a hang-on-the back Aquamaxx in the Classifieds section right now for $150. People seem to really like them, but I'm really leery about hanging anything on the rim of this tank. I think the only other skimmers that will fit in the back are the IM Ghost skimmers which I have heard far to many people bitch about to purchase. Any thoughts?

If you are still looking for a skimmer, Aquamaxx will be coming out with an intank version of the HOB-1 in about a month. The first units will be available through Marine Depot. It is basically going to be the AquaMaxx branded JNS WS-1:

IMG_3563.jpg

The recommended footprint for this will be 4.33" x 3.15". Im not quite sure whether this will fit in your skimmer section, but if it will I would highly recommend waiting for this skimmer. I have read a lot of really good things about the JNS WS-1, Aquamaxx HOB-1, and JNS/AquaMaxx skimmers in general.

If you are still looking for a skimmer, Aquamaxx will be coming out with an intank version of the HOB-1 in about a month. The first units will be available through Marine Depot. It is basically going to be the AquaMaxx branded JNS WS-1:

The recommended footprint for this will be 4.33" x 3.15". Im not quite sure whether this will fit in your skimmer section, but if it will I would highly recommend waiting for this skimmer. I have read a lot of really good things about the JNS WS-1, Aquamaxx HOB-1, and JNS/AquaMaxx skimmers in general.

Oh that is nice! Alas it will not fit in the back of this tank. The back section is only 2.75" deep which does not give many options.

What I've decided to do is get a PicO SkiM 2.0 for this tank for now. Low tech, but I know it works fantastic on my Nuvo8. It isn't like I'm running a ULNS or anything. My long-term plan is to upgrade this tank to the new Mr. Aqua long tank that is coming out (36 x 12 x 12) next month and get an actual honest to goodness sump (the new Eshopps Cube looks perfect). Then I can put a "real" protein skimmer in the sump and not be constrained by how ridiculously small the AIO back of the Nuvo24 is.

The basslet is beautiful! All the colors are so vivid.

After having him the past few months, I totally get why the ReefBuilders blog has such a thing for Liopropoma basslets. They are awesome fish.

Polarcollision

Sometimes the ocean just blows you away with how great it is -- those cup corals are rocking my world tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

AMG, I THINK I HAVE A BABY.

Well, one of my RFAs. Not me. (The ladybits are for recreational, not reproductive use.) Let me take a deep breath and back up a step.

I was looking at me tank with my blue flashlight after lights off last night, geeking out over looking at fluorescence, when I saw a little speck of fluorescence where I wasn't expecting any. The little speck was on my Ricordea rock. At first I thought it was a shrunken up Ricordea. (So 1/3 of my Ricordea shrink up into nothingness, 1/3 look okayish, and 1/3 look fantastic. IDK WTF is up with that. They all live in the same area of my tank and thus should all be experiencing the same food/nutrients/light.) But upon inspection it wasn't a Ricordea. It looked like a closed up zoanthid. But I don't have zoathids in this tank (not til I get some Miami Vices at least!) So I waited until morning to get a closer look. This is what I saw:

BABY_zpsnieb4xww.jpg

I think I have a little RFA baby! I've never seen spawning in the tank. What is crazy is that it is on the other side of my tank from my RFA rock. Granted my Ricordea rock and my RFA rock lived pretty close together in a Brute container for a few weeks while I patched the leak in the tank. I did also just add two new RFAs to the tank. One is a green face with white tentacles, which is what the baby is. (I bought it online from AquaSD. I thought it was going to be more lemony, but it is green under my lights.) The other is a luscious zebra with gold tentacles:

GoldStripe_zpsvai5q2uj.jpg

That is one of my baby rose corals in the foreground (who had just eaten a brine shrimp so was all puffy, with some tiny cup corals next to it). I've really been digging the new zebra. It also came from AquaSD.

And, just because I was taking a few pictures tonight, I snapped one of my St Thomas mushies and Discosoma neglecta. These St. T are doing great. It really bums me out that the ones I had last summer didn't do great as they had these neat orange bubbles on them. Anyways, you can see that basslet saw me taking pictures so felt the need to photobomb. (Seriously, I took quite a few pictures of the St. T mushies and couldn't get one with him out of frame!)

Discosomas_zps7ji2jcik.jpg

Yey! It's pretty too!! Congrats. Time to sing it lullabies at night. :wub: What's the size? You probably had a spawning 3 mos ago or it came in already impregnated so she just had to pop her out!

Yey! It's pretty too!! Congrats. Time to sing it lullabies at night. :wub: What's the size? You probably had a spawning 3 mos ago or it came in already impregnated so she just had to pop her out!

And then a little Barry White after the lullabies to set the mood for mom and dad? LOL

Congrats on the baby, Mirya!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
opaquelace

That's a cool little baby! I have three babies in my tank right now. Like you, I'd never seen any spawning but a month ago I noticed one little spec that was bright green, then another one and finally another one. Two of the babies look exactly the same. One is a hybrid of the two I suspect of spawning. It has a white center, the highlighter yellow rim and lime green fingers. I had the anemones for over a year in a 40 gallon but it wasn't until they were put in a 10 gallon that they spawned...or at least had babies survive.

My Baby RFA is still trucking. I've been throwing some oytser eggs and other small particle foods its way. Hasn't seemed to have grown noticeably but hasn't withered either.

Sometimes the ocean just blows you away with how great it is -- those cup corals are rocking my world tonight.

Here is any even better shot IMO:

HiddenCups_zpsgwgmllrh.jpg

I picked up a sample of the orange tint film that Vivid Technologies launched. It makes shooting coral fluorescence with an iPhone much nicer.

Here are some of my baby Mancina's fluorescing:

BabyRoses_zpsk2seksvz.jpg

In other news, I finally picked up a Royal Gramma. They are my favorite "cheap fish." I've always wanted one for this tank, but I know they can grow to be territorial. Well the LFS recently got a trio of tiny ones, so I thought I'd give it a try. For the first few days this is all I saw of him:

Gramma_zps8yg7koiq.jpg

Now he uses the RFA rock as his base and sleeps there at night, but is out a good deal. Here you can see all 4 fish I have in this tank... and the size comparison of the Gramma to my Neon Goby!

Group_zpszslyqgdy.jpg

As the Gramma has settled I have seen him get testy with the Neon Goby if the Goby gets too close to the Gramma's base. I thought as a cleaner, the Neon Goby would get a free pass... I guess the Gramma is just a jerk. At least Peppermint Blasset is ok with availing himself to the Neon Goby:

Cleaning_zps9m7zgcsg.jpg

opaquelace

How did you get your baby rose corals? That's probably one of my favorite corals but they're not exactly legal to purchase.

How did you get your baby rose corals? That's probably one of my favorite corals but they're not exactly legal to purchase.

Spenseriana, who is in my local reef club, was starting up a new tank and ordered his live rock rock for Gulf Live Rock. I went in on the order and bought, I can't remember, but I think 10 lb of rock too and specifically requested rose coral hitchhikers. Amongst all the rock there were a total of 5 Rose corals and a million Cup corals. Spenseriana let me take the pieces of live rock with the Roses on them and he kept the rest to aquascape his tank. Since I already had enough rock in my tank and I didn't want to cause a cycle by adding new rock, I chiseled up the rock into little pieces to save the Roses and Cup corals.

Guits has a whole Gulf populated tank that he has sourced all his corals this way and also has some cool Oculina and stuff. In the future when I move and upgrade this tank, I will be placing another GLR order. :)

My Baby RFA is still trucking. I've been throwing some oytser eggs and other small particle foods its way. Hasn't seemed to have grown noticeably but hasn't withered either.

Try to spot feed that baby. I bet he is big enough to take small pieces of mysis or brine shrimp. It will grow much faster if you take the time to spot feed once or twice a week.

Beautiful as usual Mirya!!! I love that basslet it's quite lovely! The royal gramma is one my favorite "common" fish too, I hope your group does well.

With persistance (multiple live rock orders) and luck, you can get rose corals as hitchhikers on aquacultured live rock from the Tampa area. They too are one of my favorites, and I have devoted an entire nano to them :)

opaquelace

Spenseriana, who is in my local reef club, was starting up a new tank and ordered his live rock rock for Gulf Live Rock. I went in on the order and bought, I can't remember, but I think 10 lb of rock too and specifically requested rose coral hitchhikers. Amongst all the rock there were a total of 5 Rose corals and a million Cup corals. Spenseriana let me take the pieces of live rock with the Roses on them and he kept the rest to aquascape his tank. Since I already had enough rock in my tank and I didn't want to cause a cycle by adding new rock, I chiseled up the rock into little pieces to save the Roses and Cup corals.

Guits has a whole Gulf populated tank that he has sourced all his corals this way and also has some cool Oculina and stuff. In the future when I move and upgrade this tank, I will be placing another GLR order. :)

Ooo that's awesome! I might do that because I love them.

Beautiful as usual Mirya!!! I love that basslet it's quite lovely! The royal gramma is one my favorite "common" fish too, I hope your group does well.

With persistance (multiple live rock orders) and luck, you can get rose corals as hitchhikers on aquacultured live rock from the Tampa area. They too are one of my favorites, and I have devoted an entire nano to them :)

This will be on my to do list for my tank then. I love the rose corals.

Woah! Forgot how awesome this tank is. I love those rose corals and the cup corals. So unique! I also love the pop of color that basslet adds to the tank. Good looking fish :) Congrats on the baby RFA!

Archived