Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cswan's Spec V | Get Rid of the Shrimp?

cswan19

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh thanks ninja! I squirted some of the coral revive in the shell and the bristle worm started to come out and I was able to pull him out completely with some tweezers. Nasty worm lol

Ahh thanks ninja! I squirted some of the coral revive in the shell and the bristle worm started to come out and I was able to pull him out completely with some tweezers. Nasty worm lol

I wanna see pics of this bristle haha...

Every time someone talks about a bristle, I look over at my tank and I KNOW there's a HUGE sucker taking residence in my rock AS WE SPEAK. Like, I am pretty sure he's 1-2mm wide and 1-2inch long. He's peaceful though haha .. only seen him once in 6 months. I just know he's in there though ......

haha and you are feeding him mysis to fatten him even more!

I wanna see pics of this bristle haha...

Every time someone talks about a bristle, I look over at my tank and I KNOW there's a HUGE sucker taking residence in my rock AS WE SPEAK. Like, I am pretty sure he's 1-2mm wide and 1-2inch long. He's peaceful though haha .. only seen him once in 6 months. I just know he's in there though ......

he's lurking and waiting....for you...

i have a bristle worm in my tank that is probably close to 3" long. it lives in the rock under my fuzzy green mushroom colony and comes out at night. kinda neat to watch. but i am extra careful moving the mushroom rock cause i would probably throw the rock across the room if the worm got to my hand.

So, I've been having a bit of trouble lately with my corals bleaching out. At first I though it was due to my light too high so I turned it down and they continued to bleach so I turned it up a bit (not as high as the first time) and they still seem to be bleaching. I recently switched to a different fresh water and it seems to be giving my problems in the tank (goby dying, coral colors fading) So I have since started buying RO/DI from my LFS thinking that the freshwater (Purified De-Ionized) I had been using could contain ammonia/chlorine and my tests weren't picking up. (I believe that chlorine will mask ammonia). I also bought "Cultured" water from my LFS today. Meaning that it came from one of their mature tanks. I did a 20% water change with the cultured water and will start doing my top off with the RO/DI from my LFS and hope that it will fix my bleaching problems. Didn't really notice it too much until recently once it started to get pretty bad. :closedeyes: Any advice is welcome and if anyone would like to share their opinions as to what might be causing the bleaching I would also appreciate that.

Examples of bleaching:

Before:

14878852485_97cd97277c_c.jpg

After:

15522678876_fb11b7b0b7_c.jpg

15547223492_16c9df5bd6_c.jpg

Before:

14931396226_bf8ed7a100_c.jpg

After:

14926201633_3d9688e9f0_c.jpg

Before:

14323492607_be3f8e1d84_c.jpg

After:

15543700311_2f91c41b27_c.jpg

(Closed because I just had my hands in the tank)

And the one that hurts me the most :(

Before:

14323372339_6203b39986_c.jpg

After: (overall, not looking good)

14926201383_b7cd01f1f6_c.jpg

And the free birds nest is pretty bleached out as well, it happened pretty quick

Before:

15185547047_571272a5d3_c.jpg

After:

15360740690_104ec5e25a_c.jpg

Overall, I am really starting to worry about the health of my tank. I do not understand why the bleaching is occurring. I keep up with regular water changes (30% per week, occasionally I miss a week), keeping parameters in check including temperature staying between 76 and 78 at all times and salinity staying at 1.024-1.026. I am at a loss, so please any help is welcome.

I make sure it specifically states Distilled. Been getting mine from Bi-Lo, but just bought a 90 gpd RO/DI from Spectrapure. $165 shipped for a 4 stage. The cost of 165 bottles of water from Bi-Lo, but I'm sure I'll end up using much more than that over time.

For my tank, I am using RO/DI water and the same salt as you. I had been doing 5 gallon water changes weekly for about 2 months. Well, I guess my corals were't using up alk fast enough and the levels started to creep up.

I don't know what elevated alk would do, but have you checked that recently?

I wouldn't use that "purified" water!! When I go to the store they have like 5 different bottles of water... ozonated, de-mineralized, pureified, spring, and distilled water. The only jug that has any content details is the distilled, it shows 0ppm everything. None of the other jugs show that at my store..

I think the corals are stressed. Mine have all changed color though since I bought them, some of my rics got a bit brighter, some a bit darker.. I found my green one was the one that really became brighter. It eventually just got smaller and disappeared.... (long ago.)

Also - Based on my tank, when I did weekly WC's everything wasn't coming out as much. Now I purposefully feed alot of raw food (mysis) and my tank has been thriving. The water has more nutrients I guess.

I wouldn't use that "purified" water!! When I go to the store they have like 5 different bottles of water... ozonated, de-mineralized, pureified, spring, and distilled water. The only jug that has any content details is the distilled, it shows 0ppm everything. None of the other jugs show that at my store..

I think the corals are stressed. Mine have all changed color though since I bought them, some of my rics got a bit brighter, some a bit darker.. I found my green one was the one that really became brighter. It eventually just got smaller and disappeared.... (long ago.)

Also - Based on my tank, when I did weekly WC's everything wasn't coming out as much. Now I purposefully feed alot of raw food (mysis) and my tank has been thriving. The water has more nutrients I guess.

I agree.

I make sure it specifically states Distilled. Been getting mine from Bi-Lo, but just bought a 90 gpd RO/DI from Spectrapure. $165 shipped for a 4 stage. The cost of 165 bottles of water from Bi-Lo, but I'm sure I'll end up using much more than that over time.

Okay thank you, I was using distilled and then heard from someone (probably not too reliable...) that the de-ionized (purified) was better and switched to that. Now that I think of it, when I switched is about when I started to experience the problems. I don't plan on getting a RO/DI unit, at least not until I decide (if I decide) to upgrade to a bigger tank. For 5 gallons it isn't worth the money for me. Just found out my LFS sells RO/DI for just under 50 cents per gallon. (at least that is what they charged me when I got it the other day).

The distilled water should be fine. Are you testing for calcium and alk? What chemical media are you running? Chemipure and Purigen? Have you changed them recently?

Yes I have been testing for calc and alk. My parameters are as follows: (tested just now)

pH: 7.8

Ammonia: 0 ppm (could be masked by chlorine?)

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: >5 ppm

Calcium: 400 (a bit low but just dosed for it)

Alkalinity: 9.8 (too high, could this be the issue? although it usually isn't ever above 8dKH)

Magnesium: 1100 (still too low, also dosed for this)

Temp: 76.4*F

Salinity: 1.025

For my tank, I am using RO/DI water and the same salt as you. I had been doing 5 gallon water changes weekly for about 2 months. Well, I guess my corals were't using up alk fast enough and the levels started to creep up.

I don't know what elevated alk would do, but have you checked that recently?

My alkalinity is a bit higher than I would like at 9.8, but this is the first time I have ever seen it above 8 dKH. :wacko:

I have had some color change in my acans due to the fact that they were under t5's at my LFS and I have LED's but it isn't a change in color like the others, the acan coral doesn't resemble a bleaching color change like the others. I do feed alot of mysid shrimp (got quite a few new acans, so I need to update and show you guys when everything is glued and opened) and a photosynthetic coral food called Phyco Pure, probably about 2-3 times a week sometimes less when I get really busy but usually do a WC every week. I plan to do another WC in a few days in the hopes of removing any chlorine or ammonia (in case that is the problem as a result of the Purified water) and then maybe I will change to a WC every other week instead of every week.

Thanks guys for all the replies and advice, that is one reason why I am very grateful for this site, everyone is so helpful and it really helps for beginners who are still learning. :) Hopefully I can get my tank back to good health soon :unsure:

I wouldn't even trust RO/DI from a LFS unless you test it before you put it in your tank... Who know's how often they change their filters and resins.

With the Spec V's small tank volume, I have no problem paying for the gallon jugs of Distilled water. I feel safe knowing that it's completely pure and I'm not adding unwanted particles into my water!

I really hope your tank turns around and your corals go back to their former beauty!

So my nano mag was starting to turn red around the edges and I thought it was from algae, since I have had a reddish algae on my glass before. But could also see it was kind of puffy and peeling so i peeled off the label and found this....

15399557200_f0bf171a04_c.jpg

15585167375_c5914e8968_c.jpg

Major rust! Even though this is only in the tank when I am actually using it it still was insanely rusted. Any chance this could be contributing to my tank health declining and corals bleaching? Needless to say this is now out of my tank and will not be going back in.

Other nanomag users beware. I plan to contact nanomag and see if there is anything they will do about this as it shouldn't rust and I really haven't had it all that long. Hopefully their customer service is good.

That's Crazy! I hope this was your issue.. I've been using the same lighting as you for the past month now, and have seen major growth on everything and have the actinic lighting set to 100% and white's set to 75%, no bleaching for me. I'm rooting for ya that the rust caused your coral issue.

I'm sorry if this has been asked but how did you do the spoilers on the 1st page?

Thanks and great tank, sorry about the bleaching.

That's Crazy! I hope this was your issue.. I've been using the same lighting as you for the past month now, and have seen major growth on everything and have the actinic lighting set to 100% and white's set to 75%, no bleaching for me. I'm rooting for ya that the rust caused your coral issue.

I am hoping and thinking this was the problem. I will be doing a couple water changes in the next week to try and get some good water in the tank and get all the rust out. Hopefully everything will begin a healthy recovery. :) I am glad to know that the light is working well for you.

I'm sorry if this has been asked but how did you do the spoilers on the 1st page? Thanks and great tank, sorry about the bleaching.

It hasn't been asked, no worries :)

Just type it like this:

Enter text of what you want to hide here

EDIT: I didn't really think about that as I was typing it lol whoops

like this but without the spaces

[ s p o i l e r ]

enter hidden text here

[ / s p o i l e r ]

Thanks man, also I don't think the rust would bleach corals and if it does my razor blade is out.... is the light too bright and did you acclimate them to the light properly.

Is your refractometer/thermometer calibrated?

Is there a 4' night worm in the tank too, irritating the corals or anything like this?

Thanks man, also I don't think the rust would bleach corals and if it does my razor blade is out.... is the light too bright and did you acclimate them to the light properly. Is your refractometer/thermometer calibrated? Is there a 4' night worm in the tank too, irritating the corals or anything like this?

I don't think that the rust would bleach them, I am thinking that it lowered the water quality and stressed out my corals and in turn the stress is what caused the bleaching. Just a thought as I am in a bit of a loss of what the cause is and this seems to make the most sense at the moment. I do acclimate my corals to the lights. My light fixture has an acclimation setting that I usually use for the first 24 - 48 hours. Is there something more I should do for acclimation to the light? I have a refractometer that I believe to be calibrated but it couldn't hurt to recalibrate I suppose. My thermometer is a digital and I do not have the ability to calibrate but I believe it to be accurate. I have not seen any large worms in the tank at night or really any time. I have seen a few very very small, skinny worms that I have seen on the glass but usually suck them out with my turkey baster upon seeing them.

I don't think that the rust would bleach them, I am thinking that it lowered the water quality and stressed out my corals and in turn the stress is what caused the bleaching. Just a thought as I am in a bit of a loss of what the cause is and this seems to make the most sense at the moment. I do acclimate my corals to the lights. My light fixture has an acclimation setting that I usually use for the first 24 - 48 hours. Is there something more I should do for acclimation to the light? I have a refractometer that I believe to be calibrated but it couldn't hurt to recalibrate I suppose. My thermometer is a digital and I do not have the ability to calibrate but I believe it to be accurate. I have not seen any large worms in the tank at night or really any time. I have seen a few very very small, skinny worms that I have seen on the glass but usually suck them out with my turkey baster upon seeing them.

Sorry if I have asked questions that have already been asked, but I have jumped on this thread late :)

How often do you do water changes?

Do you dose?

Archived