ReefCleaners.org

Cswan's Spec V | Get Rid of the Shrimp?

cswan19

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG. Absolutely amazing progress Cswan!! Shessh, I've been slacking so hard on staying updated! Things are looking reeeaaaaaal nice in your reef!!! Love love love all the new rics, the zoa/ paly rock - and the Acans you have now too! ALSO - SPS?! You're going all out!! Beautiful absolutely beautiful!!! Keep updating I love the pics!!! Can't wait to see all of these corals get FAT !!

If you ever put a small fish in here ~ I think a little YCG would sit and perch on your abundance of corals and be a very happy little fish!!

FlamingPrawn

This tank is the reason I went and bought a Fluval Spec V! It's been awesome lurking and watching it grown more and more! I can't wait to start mine up as soon as we finish this move! Girlfriend has a Fluval Edge that's been de-rimmed and I have my Spec..friendly competition we'll call it :)

One question: Do you feel the light is sufficient enough for everything you're going to be putting in the tank? I love all the features you get with the light but want to make sure you've seen growth also. Any suggestions that have made the spec experience easier?

OMG. Absolutely amazing progress Cswan!! Shessh, I've been slacking so hard on staying updated! Things are looking reeeaaaaaal nice in your reef!!! Love love love all the new rics, the zoa/ paly rock - and the Acans you have now too! ALSO - SPS?! You're going all out!! Beautiful absolutely beautiful!!! Keep updating I love the pics!!! Can't wait to see all of these corals get FAT !!

If you ever put a small fish in here ~ I think a little YCG would sit and perch on your abundance of corals and be a very happy little fish!!

I hear ya on the slacking thing haha I haven't been very on top of updates lately. Life has been getting in the way lately haha. But thank you!! I do plan on putting a fish in there at some point but I am waiting until I really know what I want... haha I love yellow clown goby but I am afraid my shrimp will get it /: I was more leaning towards possibly one, maybe two snowflake, black ice or picasso clowns. But again, Im still deciding and I'm not really in any hurry, the tank seems to be going well as it is :)

This tank is the reason I went and bought a Fluval Spec V! It's been awesome lurking and watching it grown more and more! I can't wait to start mine up as soon as we finish this move! Girlfriend has a Fluval Edge that's been de-rimmed and I have my Spec..friendly competition we'll call it :)

One question: Do you feel the light is sufficient enough for everything you're going to be putting in the tank? I love all the features you get with the light but want to make sure you've seen growth also. Any suggestions that have made the spec experience easier?

Dang! That means alot! Thank you!! I appreciate the fact that you are following my tank :) Do you have a thread of that fluval edge on here? I'd love to see it! I love the edges when they are de-rimmed.

As far as the light, I do feel it is sufficient and I have even turned it down due to some bleaching caused by the light being too high. The spec is a shallow tank so I think the light and the tank are a perfect pair. If you were to use this light on a bigger and deeper tank I think that is where you might run into an intensity issue, but for the spec it works great. If you are still in doubt about the Current USA Orbit I would also recommend the Par 38 like Kijho has on his tank, it is about the same price point but isn't as customizable. His tank looks awesome with the light he is running though, and if I had not gone with the Orbit I would have gone the Par 38 route. I don't know much about lights but it really comes down to both your preference of corals you will keep in the tank and your personal preference of color and settings. I think every tank is different and a light that works well for others may not be a favorite for another. But I can say that I am happy with this fixture :)

I don't really have too many tips to make the spec any easier except what really applies to all nano reefs and most people have heard before, and that is to take it slow and be patient, keep a log journal of tests and maintenance to help yourself find consistency and most importantly relax! If you stress about every little thing this will be more work and worry than fun. Be sure to post pictures and maybe even start a thread on your fluval spec. I always love following along with other people tanks :D

I really love the colour of the purple and blue mushroom

Thank you :) It is one of my favorites!

My Current USA 24" should be here tomorrow. I don't even have water in the tank it's going on yet. :rolleyes:

I doubt you will be disappointed :)

On another note, I finally got a goby for my shrimp. It is a blue spotted yellow watchman goby named Jetty. I put him in the tank and he paired with my shrimp right away and would stand guard at the front of the burrow anytime the shrimp was digging. He did this the first two days. The only problem is that both yesterday and today i have not seen my goby... My shrimp has been out in front of the burrow but no sign of the goby /: I cannot see into the burrow and it is built under my big rock so I can't really just lift it up to check for him without completely running the burrow. Should I be worried? Is it common for a goby to stay in the burrow while the shrimp comes out? I really hope everything is fine. I haven't had much luck with fish so far..

So a little (not so progressive) update on the goby. I still had not seen any sign of him so I decided I needed to lift the rock up and see if he was doing alright. I lifted it just enough to have my shrimp dart out and then I captured him in a net and kept him out of the tank for bit while I moved stuff around. I lifted the rock up and didn't see any sign of him and ended up taking the entire rock out and stirring up and sifting through to the sand to see if I could find any sign of a goby, dead or alive. Nothing. No sign of him at all. I put the rock back in and decided to look more around the tank. I checked under and around the other smaller rock and even in the overflow but I didn't find him. :( No clue what happened to him. He literally just vanished. Why on earth am I having such bad luck with fish?! Anyone know what could have happened to him? Also what other shrimp goby do you recommend? This is my second yellow watchman I have lost and may be interested in getting something else. Any recommendations are welcome. Something that is not too pricey and not too hard to find. It is a bummer that I've been trying to get a goby for my lonely shrimp and have had no luck for more than 3 months! :furious: a bit frustrating and discouraging.

Also, my poor shrimp is really shaken up now. He has been pressed up against the rock in an attempt to hide and hasn't moved at all for a good 20 min and is still in the same spot as I am typing this. Hope he will be okay. He also now has to rebuild his entire home. I feel awful :( poor little guy. I turned the lights on the tank down a bit and closed the door to the room the tank is in and plan to stay away from the tank in hopes he will relax a bit. Hope he will relax really soon, poor dude. :closedeyes:

Oh man :( I can't think of anything at all honestly... could have jumped and surfed his way across the carpet. I'm sure they can get quite far, perhaps farther than you think. Did you look underneath things in the room? Could be very hidden.. I'd search deeper throughout the room!

Perhaps buried under the sand?

Hope you find some resolution :(

Oh man :( I can't think of anything at all honestly... could have jumped and surfed his way across the carpet. I'm sure they can get quite far, perhaps farther than you think. Did you look underneath things in the room? Could be very hidden.. I'd search deeper throughout the room!

Perhaps buried under the sand?

Hope you find some resolution :(

Thanks kijho. I had a lid on but still looked around the floor quite a bit just to be sure but didn't find him. I dug around in the sand pretty good while i was in the tank with still no sign. I have a feeling he most likely died of something and the shrimp ate him after he was dead. I doubt the shrimp would eat him alive.

Sorry to hear that. Could have died then been eaten by worms or whatever else is lurking in your sand and rock.

When I added a piece of frozen shrimp to my 8 g tank to speed up the cycle the bristle worms came out of nowhere and tore that thing up. They ate about half of it in one night.

Sorry to hear that. Could have died then been eaten by worms or whatever else is lurking in your sand and rock.

When I added a piece of frozen shrimp to my 8 g tank to speed up the cycle the bristle worms came out of nowhere and tore that thing up. They ate about half of it in one night.

:blink: Thats the most terrifying thing I have ever heard... Gives me the heebie jeebies. Haha, Lets hope thats not what happened. For some reason bristle worms really freak me out. I had a small one that I promptly sucked out of the tank upon seeing.

They're supposed to be good for your tank since they clean up leftovers and the dead keeping it from fouling your water. They are creepy though.

I have like a 2" long and pretty fat red bristle somewhere in my tank. I've seen him once in 6 month.

He's in there ..... he will find things that need to be found ..... but you will never, ever, see him .......

sorry to hear about your goby. you are probably right about the shrimp eating him after he passed.

Thanks Ninja, unfortunately I don't have any other explanation so I am going with that.

On another note, when do we get to see that MAME skimmer on your 5g?! The anticipation is killing me.

Thanks Ninja, unfortunately I don't have any other explanation so I am going with that.

On another note, when do we get to see that MAME skimmer on your 5g?! The anticipation is killing me.

just got the air pump tonight but too lazy to put it all together =P. hopefully tomorrow night.

I just got a really beautiful ricordea that just so happened to position itself on/in an empty (so I thought) snail shell. I was feeding some mysid to my corals and saw a rather large bristle worm slither its way out and pop back in the shell at the sight of me. I want this thing out as I really really hate bristle worms, they're gross and creepy haha.

Here is the ric.

15506451276_dd5acb02e7_c.jpg

I have put some mysid and the ric and snail shell in a small container to try and get the bristle worm to come out but so far have not had much luck getting this out. So my question is if I were to super glue the worm inside the snail shell would it cause a problem if it died in there?

Here is the "trap"15344645040_dafe5874f6_c.jpg

Archived