ReefCleaners.org

Brandon's 20g Custom AIO Cube: Tons of New SPS Goodies :D

bpounds1991

bpounds1991

Thanks man, unfortunately that's the leaker...was gonna transfer that aquascape over to what is now another leaker... fml lol

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
frankdontsurf

Purchased a Biocube 29 Gal tank/stand on craigslist...the silicone is leaking on the return side.... trying to silicone tonight or get my money back tomorrow, between Micro-Reefs flaking on returning my money for their busted up tank and Craigslist I've had one heck of a week.

Mike doesn't want to replace/refund?

bpounds1991

He offered to make one that would be here in roughly 3 weeks to a month and then he would charge me 50$ for shipping...long time to be just sitting around so I asked if he could just refund my money...hasn't answered. Personally I don't feel like I should be paying another 50$ for a tank I've only had running a couple weeks.

bpounds1991

Well...he's agreeing to give my money back, and I'm getting the money back for the other tank as well...time to do some shopping.

bpounds1991

Spoke with Advanced Acrylics earlier today and I have some fantastic news! I'm ordering a custom 20x18x12 shallowISH reef AIO cube, which should be to my door by next Friday or Monday! The overall volume should be about 19 gallons, and includes all the locline, plumbing, and a maxijet 1600 return.

bpounds1991

Need some help with some opinions guys, since I have more side to side space and front to back I have a little more leeway with my new tank coming in in a week...need your suggestions on this Aquascape I'm starting to grow grey hairs here at the ripe age of 23 D: lol, I'll upload a few of my existing tries

Here's the series of changes/attempts

E5D2327A-E75B-41A5-9F5E-F355F9F0F689_zps

92CFC56B-483E-4057-8672-4348D3E5FB1D_zps

28E46D92-1F1B-44DD-8AEF-C6794EDB4C2E_zps

D160EA37-43E0-4BC9-BFAD-9ED725EC1401_zps

Stuck between a rock and a hard place ;)

92CFC56B-483E-4057-8672-4348D3E5FB1D_zps

;)

This would probably be my first choice.

I like the first one too, but in a small tank, if you have open space in the center it mean your rock are really on close to the side of the tank. Making it hard to clean and also no place for corral grow between the rock and glass. It will look weird eventually.

bpounds1991

It's like an itch I'm trying to scratch right now, I've been sifting through plenty of FTS's seeing if I can just pull different ideas together and so far that's been a bust lol

bpounds1991

Thanks! I ended up busting a few of the rocks on a curb (sure the neighbors gave a few odd looks) so I can't replicate that one but I really like the latest one...a lot of area on top for SPS growth along with caves and crevices, I even have 4 small rocks left to either try and make an anemone housing (future project) or zoa/shroom islands

Need some help with some opinions guys, since I have more side to side space and front to back I have a little more leeway with my new tank coming in in a week...need your suggestions on this Aquascape I'm starting to grow grey hairs here at the ripe age of 23 D: lol, I'll upload a few of my existing tries

Here's the series of changes/attempts

E5D2327A-E75B-41A5-9F5E-F355F9F0F689_zps

Stuck between a rock and a hard place ;)

Thissss oneeeeee.

bpounds1991

Progressed it to this

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/Newest%20Tank/A32FAEC9-B7FA-488E-9435-5D23DF69A339_zpsvy1jw0bl.jpg.html'>A32FAEC9-B7FA-488E-9435-5D23DF69A339_zps

Then switched a couple rocks around and added another cave

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/Newest%20Tank/AB91E023-C4FD-43DE-B604-90B5548234CE_zps0bfjxala.jpg.html'>AB91E023-C4FD-43DE-B604-90B5548234CE_zps

I do like those trends and believe me I couldn't agree with you more on the island aspect, I just feel like islands are meant for slightly bigger tanks where you actually feel like they are islands opposed to just two rocks sitting on top of each other! If I had more than a 19 gallon tank coming in I would stick with it I think but as you can see I've always been a rock wall kind of guy ;)B)

My first tank ever back in 2008

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/100_2215.jpg.html'>100_2215.jpg

And my 75 gallon the following year

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/100_0144.jpg.html'>100_0144.jpg

As you can see I've always had a bias towards the caves and coral real estate :wub:

Thank you for all the input guys! Glad to see some people finally commenting on the build lol

bpounds1991

Thanks Dave! New tank is expected to be here between next Friday or the following Monday-Tues, will be 20x18x12-13

Thanks Dave! New tank is expected to be here between next Friday or the following Monday-Tues, will be 20x18x12-13

Looking forward to seeing the pic's when you get it. I am looking at my next build to be a AIO as well. Still not sure if I want a 30 or 40 though lol.

Good luck and can't wait to see :)

bpounds1991

If you go back to page 1-3 it will essentially be that size tank (16x16x14) with just slightly more room forward, a little more room to the sides, and a little shorte

If you go back to page 1-3 it will essentially be that size tank (16x16x14) with just slightly more room forward, a little more room to the sides, and a little shorte

Cool...would like to have one that is a little shorter and longer as well but with the available space I got gonna have to go cube style with mine lol.

bpounds1991

The only problem I've ever had with cube tanks is the fact that the dimensions are typically higher than they are wide/long, which makes for a rather distasteful looking tank (in my opinion) lol. I found Advanced Acrylics through some old forum searches and within 15 minutes they had a tank layout for me with pump and everything included shipped for 275$, not too bad considering the troubles I've been through. I like the cube but unless it's bigger than 30-40 gallons I feel like it's hard to replicate the island type aquascape. I love that style but IMO it looks more just like two stacks of rocks in smaller tanks like the one I'm about to get.

skyscraper2290

Looking good man, really like some of the scapes you have been coming up with. Looking forward to seeing your new tank when you get

bpounds1991

Thanks sky! Believe me after having this one setup for three weeks then dealing with the leaks and then having the replacement leak...I'm ready to get a reliable new one. The build time is fast too! I have heard mixed reviews on Advanced Acrylics but just speaking with them over the phone they sound like a great group of guys with exceptional customer service. Tank should be finished by Tuesday-Wednesday and since I'm all the way across the country I will be expecting it the following week... needless to say it will be a long week! :D:happy:

The only problem I've ever had with cube tanks is the fact that the dimensions are typically higher than they are wide/long, which makes for a rather distasteful looking tank (in my opinion) lol. I found Advanced Acrylics through some old forum searches and within 15 minutes they had a tank layout for me with pump and everything included shipped for 275$, not too bad considering the troubles I've been through. I like the cube but unless it's bigger than 30-40 gallons I feel like it's hard to replicate the island type aquascape. I love that style but IMO it looks more just like two stacks of rocks in smaller tanks like the one I'm about to get.

Wow, that sounds like a great price. Will have to check them out. I have been looking at the nuvo's but If AA can do one up for me at a good price I am all for it. I love the island look, which is what I have in my 10g nano right now...but been really interested in trying the rock wall to see how that would work out.

Think i am gonna go check out AA :)

Archived