ReefCleaners.org

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Here my 2 cents:

Keep the Spec V for a QT tank for all the new fish you are going to want.

Black sand looks fantastic.. for awhile... but actually tends to show debris more and will need more upkeep down the road. I think because live rock is white and little pieces end up in the sand, bits of snail shell, plus coraliine starts growing on it.

I have also heard of it making a tank look "dim" because you are losing all the reflection of the white sand. This may matter if you plan to use a single par38.

My advice is to research people who have used black sand long term and choose your sand wisely.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with not using black sand. I know you didn't like ur current sand do much but I think is because its so fine. I love the sand I have which is more coarse. Will have to look up the name later. Caribsea something.

Picked it up. $108 was the total bill out of pocket :P:D :D

Going to take a fair amount of time and patience setting this up. Think I'm going to clean out the other room to reorganize everything and set up the tank and begin the cycle. Going to get a new heater and such, too! Having it in the other room will be better, also, because I don't have my PC, TV, PS4, etc. which all add a tremendous amount of heat in the summer (tank would always go 80*F after some late night gaming sessions or watching netflix on the ps4)...

Will take your suggestions on the sand, too. Maybe that's the case, as I've thought of this before - my sand is so incredibly fine. It's not very good for anything really.. even the Goby will make a little burrow in it but the next day it's ruined and settled down again. I'll get something much more coarse, I'd love some more shrimps and such again perhaps..

I'll keep the Spec V up for the transition, but ultimately don't feel I'll have sufficient time to manage both, plus not enough room in the house and electricity costs!

So excited!!! :D I'll post up a pic here tmrw of some stuff perhaps :)

I hear you on the heat. I have my 45g cube in a room with 2 gaming computers and ultimately decided to take the 45g down because the heat in the summer was too much. All my other tanks are in rooms that don't suffer from this problem.

I think it's going to take me a fair bit of time to get this sorted & setup :unsure: But it's okay, rather be patient vs. rush.. I might not even get the open the box until I have the room cleaned (it's our guest room, but we haven't had any guests in over a year stay with us lol), so removing the bed there.. Then I'll need a stand of some sort. Should be good though once it's all setup!

Nuvo 20 Questions:

1. What kind of ATO would you recommend? I see people using the Tunze, but that looks insanely expensive... The Hydor ATO looks pretty decent, and a much cheaper option.

2. RODI basic systems, any suggestions

3. Temp. Controllers. I've seen the Chinese ones from Ebay, but those would require some legit electrical modification which would void any warranty/ guarantee on the expensive heater lol... not sure I wanna go that route. Thoughts on this? http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011296704/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1VXG7PNYXMQ1Y&coliid=I2WGICMEOIK4E9

4. Any major tips anyone might have before I dive into the Nuvo 20 setup? This is something I wish I researched and asked prior to getting the Spec V wet (I would have known about the hole in the side wall!)

Nuvo 20 Questions:

1. What kind of ATO would you recommend? I see people using the Tunze, but that looks insanely expensive... The Hydor ATO looks pretty decent, and a much cheaper option.

2. RODI basic systems, any suggestions

3. Temp. Controllers. I've seen the Chinese ones from Ebay, but those would require some legit electrical modification which would void any warranty/ guarantee on the expensive heater lol... not sure I wanna go that route. Thoughts on this? http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011296704/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1VXG7PNYXMQ1Y&coliid=I2WGICMEOIK4E9

4. Any major tips anyone might have before I dive into the Nuvo 20 setup? This is something I wish I researched and asked prior to getting the Spec V wet (I would have known about the hole in the side wall!)

1. Osmulator nano Smart ATO, new hydro, etc.

2. Get a Spectrapure combo with TDS meters, pressure gauge, and a set of extra filters for like $160

3. ReefSafeSolutions temperature controller. Works great, plug and play.

4. Never had a Nuvo, but InTank media baskets rock :)

I have no experience with these products, but I'm in the process of selecting a temp controller and ato as well. Might be worth looking into:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AutoAqua_Smart_ATO_Micro_Automatic_Top_Off_System_-AutoAqua-CV12117-FIDPATPO-vi.html

http://reefsafesolutions.com/

Well, thank you very much sir - That temp. controller looks absolutely perfect for me! That's one thing off the list, I'll look into that ATO too possibly!

Temp -

ATO -

Water (RODI, Bucket, Salt)

I'm almost there :P

I absolutely hate my Tunze Nano ATO. The full size one is fine but the Nano one is prone to not stopping and just keep pumping water into the tank. It is unreliable.

The Smart ATO Micro has gotten great reviews.

I am thinking about purchasing the micro but someone just posted a review saying the controller box was loud :huh:

+1 the reef safe solutions temp controller. Mine works well.

I am thinking about purchasing the micro but someone just posted a review saying the controller box was loud :huh:

I have the regular and micro sized Smart ATO. The micro one does beep louder when the alarm sounds, but it only beeps to alert you when there's a problem, so...

I have the regular and micro sized Smart ATO. The micro one does beep louder when the alarm sounds, but it only beeps to alert you when there's a problem, so...

No noise from the control box? Someone said theres had a constant noise.

No noise from the control box? Someone said theres had a constant noise.

Must be defective then. I hear mine when it pumps water, and when I turn the unit off/on (to feed).

There is definitely not any sort of always on, constant sound from mine. I would notice. I can hear the lights click off and on from the other room. It's how I know that light turns off as it should at 11 and it's time for bed! I'm also a very light sleeper.

Wow.

I just read through your whole thread this morning. (Started @ 6:00am)

I love your tank, and your car, I just sold my 04 wrx. I love your bike too, I had a zx9r lol.

If your serious about going with the nuvo 20. Do yourself a favor and get an apex unit now.

It can perform the temp control as well as other functions you'll want late on.

As for the ATO I have the smart micro ato and love it. I had a small issue with the pump, and customer service had another on the way with email confirmation in less than 3hrs.

Honestly the nuvo 20 is basically a nuvo 10 but twice the width, so a lot of the parts/upgrades are interchangeable. Check out the nuvo 10 club thread and I promise you'll walk away with a ton of ideas, I know I did. ;)

What do you guys use to glue / form your rock-scape? I've got 4 large rocks (probably too much) of really nice clean dry rock that I plan on using a hammer + chisel to break apart. Then I will want to glue together and form a grotto style rock scape possibly... thoughts? What "glue" do I use?! :)

What do you guys use to glue / form your rock-scape? I've got 4 large rocks (probably too much) of really nice clean dry rock that I plan on using a hammer + chisel to break apart. Then I will want to glue together and form a grotto style rock scape possibly... thoughts? What "glue" do I use?! :)

Some sort of reef safe epoxy I think. I actually have some but never used it.

For the temperature controller, you may want to consider a used reefkeeper lite, they come around on canreef often. I picked mine up for CAD 70 and it's totally worth it!

Some sort of reef safe epoxy I think. I actually have some but never used it.

For the temperature controller, you may want to consider a used reefkeeper lite, they come around on canreef often. I picked mine up for CAD 70 and it's totally worth it!

Oh damn, even brand new it's only $129USD, I think I found one on Kijiji for relatively cheap, too... Do these control lighting (on/ off), and temperature (heater / fan to cool) ?

Also; The sand I bought was highly recommended by one of my best LFS's locally (more expensive place, very high quality) - but it's not "alive" sand, it's dry, it doesn't have any liquid in the bag... thoughts? It's a CaribSea or somethin like that..

41HvEZtF8cL._AC_UL320_SR240,320_.jpg

Has some pretty good review, http://www.marinedepot.com/CaribSea_Florida_Crushed_Coral_Geo_Marine_Formula_Dry_Sand_for_Saltwater_Reef_Aquariums-CaribSea-CS0110-FISSDS-vi.html

I'll rinse it in my buckets with my new RODI water / unit :D :D :D

Oh damn, even brand new it's only $129USD, I think I found one on Kijiji for relatively cheap, too... Do these control lighting (on/ off), and temperature (heater / fan to cool) ?

It can control lots of things! Lights, ATO, heater, fan and probably some more things. What I love about it is the "standby" mode it turns off your pumps/skimmer for while you are feeding/cleaning. So you don't forget to turn things back on ;)

It can control lots of things! Lights, ATO, heater, fan and probably some more things. What I love about it is the "standby" mode it turns off your pumps/skimmer for while you are feeding/cleaning. So you don't forget to turn things back on ;)

Seeing some for like $129USD and come $700+USD, what's up with all the differences?! Some Head Unit thing looks awfully expensive haha..

The more $, the more features... But the reefkeeper lite will take care of most basic things. I couldn't explain all the differences. If you have lots of money to spend than you probably want to look into an apex controller!

Any thoughts on the sand I've picked up? I don't know if I'll like it or not, but I wanted something more course than the very fine sand I used in the Spec V... :( Not sure what to do now..

Archived