Coral Vue Hydros

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

your car looks amazing...

B) Thanks so very much my friend!!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday here as the year comes to an end - wishing all the best in the New Year 2016!!

I think my reefing hobby is my most indecisive one.. I'm still back and forth practically every other day about upgrading to a new tank and retiring the Spec V. Nuvo 20? Nuvo 16? The WC's are what intimidate me the most at this point.. two years in and I've never once actually "created" my own SW, I just buy these big 5G buckets from the LFS because it's such a small tank. Going to a Nuvo 20 I'd obviously need much bigger, I'm thinking 10G buckets - I don't have an RODI machine and don't know if I'd be able to invest in one at this point either... But I could have 1x bucket of freshwater, 1x mix of SW, and 1x empty bucket for draining..... :closedeyes: So indecisive. I did receive a wonderful and very generous gift for Christmas though, $175 giftcard to the LFS that stocks the Nuvo's haha...

As a small update... the Spec V is doing excellent. Really nothing major, other than I picked up a peppermint shrimp in hopes it would eat aiptasia. I bought the biggest one I could, LOL .. he hasn't touched any of it :( I'm hoping one day he'll change his mind..

Too bad you aren't closer. I'll be selling my 20 in a few months.

I like it a lot, I just have to re-arrange tanks cause I'll be moving.

Get a larger tank and keep the Spec V going. :)

I thought I would retire mine, but I just can't give it up. Going over 2 years now. But I have never stocked it heavily either, and now it doesn't have any fish in it, I need to fix that.

Obsessed Reefer

Nuvo 16's are discontinued, and like ninja said, are prone to crack. Fusion 20 or the Lagoon 25 are where its at now. You can still get away with the 5g pre mixed salt water, as a 5g water change would be plenty for the tank.

Nuvo 16's are discontinued, and like ninja said, are prone to crack. Fusion 20 or the Lagoon 25 are where its at now. You can still get away with the 5g pre mixed salt water, as a 5g water change would be plenty for the tank.

I've though of this, and then doing bi-weekly changes.. But not sure :/

Obsessed Reefer

I've though of this, and then doing bi-weekly changes.. But not sure :/

I do a 4g change on my 20g each weak. I just buy a bucket of coral pro salt and use a 5g bucket and buy bottled distilled water to use.

Here are a few quick photos of the clowns / frogspawn / tank. The clowns are still obsessive with the frogspawn and are in it all of the time. The frogspawn seems to really like them in it, too!!

23814205849_200dccb34c_b.jpgIMG_0748 by Spencer, on Flickr

24155918686_d5bfb036d0_b.jpgIMG_0755 by Spencer, on Flickr

23555233293_264cc53407_b.jpgIMG_0750 by Spencer, on Flickr

Need a little TLC soon. I'm fighting now the worst aiptasia battle I've ever had. I have a peppermint shrimp in there, but he hasn't touched any of it yet. He just molted though, so he's doing well atleast. It's horrendous though. The aiptasia isn't a big deal and usually I can just zap it - but honestly, I'm seeing large (1cm+) pests popping up all over the place everyday. They even MOVE. I swear, some were growing right on the glass and it moved throughout the day to different places.

The worst is in between the zoa's really. It's impossible to get rid of once it's in there, in the deep clusters of zoa' :( and if I zap it with aiptasia-x, the zoa's around it die the next day :( Ugh.

i just used aiptasia x on two aiptasia surrounded by zoas and the zoas are fine. the two aiptasia been in my tanks for almost 6 months now and never multipled...weird.

I swear it's killed quite a few :( It's so tricky to get in there, too. Maybe I should try Joe's Juice or something, I'm not sure..

Perhaps I need to just go on a vigilant week spree and just nuke the entire tank - zap every single little aiptasia I see every single night, every single day...

I'll probably need to do a WC mid week, and another and the end of the week to keep things stable though.. considering I'll be adding so much chemical to the tank...

I swear it's killed quite a few :( It's so tricky to get in there, too. Maybe I should try Joe's Juice or something, I'm not sure..

Perhaps I need to just go on a vigilant week spree and just nuke the entire tank - zap every single little aiptasia I see every single night, every single day...

I'll probably need to do a WC mid week, and another and the end of the week to keep things stable though.. considering I'll be adding so much chemical to the tank...

are you using the syringe with the metal adapter thingy? cuz i didn't have too much white gooey stuff leak into the tank. of course i only had one per tank =P.

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys, the end is coming near.. The Spec V is nearing two years old and it's time to finally upgrade.

I've been on the phone this morning with several different places. I initially found a place in Quebec that sold the Nuvo 20 without lighting for relatively cheap at $275. Not a bad deal at all, but $30 shipping and unfortunately they're 6 weeks back-ordered.

So I emailed a custom tank specialty shop this morning, and they quoted to custom build a 17 Gallon for me at $250, which isn't bad.. However doesn't come with any pumps, filter, etc. components.

As a "last effort" with really no hopes I called one of the more expensive LFS's locally. To my complete surprised... they were willing to part-out a Nuvo 20 to me without the lights.. for the same price as Quebec (and in stock). I also have $200 in credits at this LFS. So... basically, I'm out-of-pocket $75 for a Nuvo 20, picking it up tonight!!!!!!!!!

sweeeet! can't wait to see it. are you gonna sell the Spec V?

Probably yeah! This is going to be my process, maybe you can let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions:

1. Carefully move Spec V to another place in the house, w/ light and all peripherals

2. Setup Nuvo 20 in place. Carefully plan and build a rock scape I'll be happy with (learning from my Spec, no cured live rock this time).

3. Get the Nuvo up and going, heater, appropriate filters, power-heads, ATO, Temp. Controller (buying a cheap ebay one for fan + heater control)

4. Transition livestock that I plan to keep, fish, some corals, especially my torch.. I might lose the Zoa island because it's absolute rid full of aiptasia's, Might not keep the barnacle rocks (sadly, they don't look as natural as I'd like)..

5. Transition the Par38 LED over, which I plan to use.. we'll see how this goes, if it's not sufficient I may upgrade lights.

When the light is moved, the Spec V will officially become retired. I'll miss this little tank, as it was a fantastic tank and great introduction to the SW world - and I love it. Although many ups and downs, a full tank crash from aiptasia + flukes (and lost all fish before), it was great.

Although it's a great tank, I can say one thing I really noticed. The corals in my Spec never truly "grew" the way I see growth in bigger tanks others have. I just think it's so limited due to the size. The filtration really sucks IMO, the flow is either way too little or way too much (and the 606's are nearly impossible to find - especially here in Canada). The size limits everything, really. Fish kinda hangout in one spot, so I'm very excited to give room for my Clowns in the next day.

Also thinking of putting in a small PVC tube tunnel underneath the sand for a Goby to chill in! :D

Any suggestions for my fresh start Nuvo 20!?

Two biggest things so far I plan:

- Dry rock, ability to "build" a better scape

- Black sand (will look way less dirty all the time lol)

- Temp. Controller for the summer

Archived