Top Shelf Aquatics

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• RODI will save you sooo much money in the long run once you upgrade to a bigger tank. My RODI unit was $100 only.

ATO is great if you are not home a lot. I still do manual top off for both tanks. It's a nice to have but not a must IMO.

Never trust the reading on a heater.

Black sand will be cool as long as it's not the super fine one.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• RODI will save you sooo much money in the long run once you upgrade to a bigger tank. My RODI unit was $100 only.
  • ATO is great if you are not home a lot. I still do manual top off for both tanks. It's a nice to have but not a must IMO.
  • Never trust the reading on a heater.
  • Black sand will be cool as long as it's not the super fine one.

Thanks Ninja my friend, Yeah.. I could potentially top-up.. We don't have A/C in our house here in summer it hits 37*C some days and the evap is scary in the Spec V! Do you have some water storage area for mixing then? I could potentially do an RODI with 10Gal buckets from Home Depot .. 2 buckets, mix salt in one and just RODI in the other for top-ups and I'd just haul it upstairs.

How do you add water back to your tank after you've I presume siphoned out the amount you wish for your WC's?? Right now I use a gravity siphon and have the water I'm adding on a shelf above..

Thank you guys, here's my first post this morning from Facebook, I'll just copy it here..

I'm okay guys, thank you for all the support from people messaging me to see if I'm alright. Really disheartened about my car, I've worked so hard to get this car, but I know it's "just a car and can be replaced." I'm at a loss for words, really. All I can say is I'm grateful to be have been able to walk away from this. Always wear your seat belt.. I'm bruised badly from the seat belt but I know if I didn't have it on I could have gone through the windshield. Also, TD Insurance is absolutely amazing yet again (I feel a sick sense of Deja-Vu since I was rear ended early this summer). Thankful to be here and a reminder to always holds your loved ones close to you. Thank God above for watching over me last night. My wonderful family and my girlfriend who all rushed to the scene to support me too, I love you all very much.

:( I'm glad to be okay, I dunno if I'll get a Nuvo for a bit now, I have to pay my deductible + a ticket now and I think my dream car will be written off. Perhaps a sign though, time for yet another new chapter in life.. although I only had this car a year. Might be time for save more for a house and perhaps a less expensive car.. Still will be looking at something I really like though. 2016 WRX.

streamline.by.design

Some of the safest cars on the market, glad you are ok! I had to get rid of my WRX recently, I was going to kill myself in it. Had an oh crap moment and woke u. Still, my heart races when I hear that exhaust. Makes me remember how much I miss it, but also that need for the rush is why I got rid of it.

Oh dude, that sucks, glad to hear you are Ok. As much as it sucks to think about, with that damage it would be nice if they classify it as a write off and get it replaced. It's been 12 months since the front end damage on my car and even though it wasn't as severe as your incident it's still not 100%, still finding things (most recent finding is a fog light assembly that broke apart replacing a globe). My crash last year, demolished the entire front end suspension and smashed the wheel, warped every panel down the right hand side..
NtYca2.jpg

Oh dude, that sucks, glad to hear you are Ok. As much as it sucks to think about, with that damage it would be nice if they classify it as a write off and get it replaced. It's been 12 months since the front end damage on my car and even though it wasn't as severe as your incident it's still not 100%, still finding things (most recent finding is a fog light assembly that broke apart replacing a globe). My crash last year, demolished the entire front end suspension and smashed the wheel, warped every panel down the right hand side..

Ohh wow man, they repaired that eh? I don't think they'll be repairing mine, sadly.. I'm quite devastated. Insurance is having it towed for assessment today :( I just hope they write it off at the value I owe the bank still on it :(

Ohh wow man, they repaired that eh? I don't think they'll be repairing mine, sadly.. I'm quite devastated. Insurance is having it towed for assessment today :( I just hope they write it off at the value I owe the bank still on it :(

Yeah, they opted to repair it, $14k AUD of damage and the car was still worth mid 30's so repair it was. I made them do an entire respray and had to take the car back twice before I was happy with the job. Respraying a peal finish is a huge pain, particularly if they have to blend with old panels. Here's hoping you had the car insured for agreed value, not market value mate. In the event my car is written off it is insured for $45k AUD which is enough for me to buy the same thing off the show room floor and has taken into account the mods I have done. It will all work out in the end mate :), here's hoping that the assessment doesn't drag on and you get action on this quickly. It took my insurer 2 weeks to make a decision between repair or replace and it was the longest 2 weeks of my life, especially when you don't have another mode of transport. At least you still have your bike ;).

I was going to wait a bit to update on this (to make sure everything was okay), but I can't wait any longer haha...

Despite my car accident last weekend, I made it through the week keeping myself busy at work. I have physio a few times a week to help with stage 2 whiplash I have in my left-upper-side of my back/ shoulders. It sucks, and I'm still currently awaiting to hear an update from insurance regarding my car.. I presume I'll hear from them early next week..

I went out today to the LFS just to do something and keep my mind occupied as weekends are generally boring .. and I haven't yet gotten back out on my motorbike since the accident. The LFS has some incredibly black ice clownfish in, and some were very small.. beautiful really. After chatting for a while, I decided I didn't really want anything...

So as I continue to look I find these tiny babies, only about 1" in size. The guy came up and offered them to me for quite a bit cheaper if I bought 2 ..... I caved. :D

Brought them home, temp acclimated for about 20 mins and then transitioned them in. I had a basket on hand and ready because I know the Blenny can be somewhat temperamental to things. Within 10 minutes I was absolutely shocked.. the Clownfish were literally inside the barnacles with the Blenny. No way. I'm seeing things. I can't believe it.. I thought forsure I'd have some trouble.. Nope! They're all swimming around so very happily right now. Not even breathing heavily as you might expect when putting a new fish in a tank.. from the stress of the new surroundings and transport etc. Nope. They ate pellet within an hour, and they're incredibly active. Alot more active than my old black oce' if anyone remember from last year!! And get this.. you won't believe this... the small one has already swam directly inside the big frogspawn I have (pictured below). Within the hours the smaller one is already doing the little "vibration" trying to entice the other Clown and they're swimming all over together. Only one has gone in the frogspawn though.. I'm not gonna get too close while (he I presume) keeps going in / out as I want him to be super comfortable. Going to get some awesome photos soon of it hopefully!!!

For now, the first shot...

21554265120_b316f12ff1_b.jpgIMG_0269 by kijho6, on Flickr

Shot this on the 70-200 so it's pretty tight.. but for size reference look at that tiny orange ricordia I have (it's been my longest coral, and my smallest forever).

This guy.. always grumpy. I'm honestly not sure if I'll keep him around much longer, he might eventually be given back to the LFS because I don't think he likes it much in here without a tiger pistol shrimp companion. I really don't want another pistol shrimp though (I've had two in here before).

21807118161_a06a11ec3f_c.jpgIMG_0375 by Spencer, on Flickr

You may be wondering - Do all the fish get along in such a small tank?

Yup.. it seems like it so far. They all have different zones though, really. Watchmen Goby are sand-sifters and like to burrow.. he likes it behind the one rock/ beneath it he has a slight sand pile. If I keep him, I might add a tiny 1" PVC tube for him to "hide inside" of... The Blenny darts between barnacle rock holes.. he loves to go back and forth. Surprisingly, he's more shy of the Clowns' than they appear to be of him. So far they've all been peaceful together, snapped a shot of them all in close proximity..

21610743219_69e97f602e_c.jpgIMG_0367 by Spencer, on Flickr

For such a basic, tiny, tank-bred Ocellaris... (he) sure looks so good..

21807126601_e106fe5cfb_c.jpgIMG_0366 by Spencer, on Flickr

Very curious of everything..

21176577283_dc6b0095c9_c.jpgIMG_0332 by Spencer, on Flickr

Still trying to get a decent shot of him inside of the frogspawn. He literally swims all over/ in-between/ around it. I have seen/ am aware that such a coral can sting a fish - I've seen videos of little black spots/ burns showing up on Clown's body' caused by Euphyllia.. however, he has none so far and has been in/ out of it constantly!!

21609790038_ae9c110a85_c.jpgIMG_0307 by Spencer, on Flickr

With my previous clownfish pair, the larger (presumably female) was very dominant and often 'beat up' the smaller guy.. Look at this shot - they are very close and haven't shown any signs of aggression at all!!

21807140121_5b4858b028_c.jpgIMG_0304 by Spencer, on Flickr

Video coming soon! :)

Came home this evening and looked in the tank ... couldn't find my smaller (presumably male) Clownfish anywhere. I probably spent 5 minutes looking at the tank, confused.. wondering where he was. I couldn't see him anywhere. Did he somehow get out?

Then... I saw him ... This is day 2!!! I'm so happy.. wow. He's still in there, 45 mins later..

21639154990_2325e179f2_c.jpgIMG_0548 by Spencer, on Flickr

Life has been very hectic these past few weeks. Negotiated and accepted an insurance settlement that I was happy with to write-off my beloved 2013' Subaru STI. Just have to go pick up the cheque this week sometime.

Dealing with purchasing a new car now, which went smoother than expected. Un-insured the 13', unregistered, then registered and insured the new car today.

It's so hectic... ahhhhhhhhh :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: But, it's all coming together thankfully and working out for me. I feel truly blessed.

Picking er' up tomorrow evening! Can't wait! Now I just need to convince Justin to hook me up with a big Zen Garage slap for the rear windshield.. :D:wub:

2016_subaru_wrx_premium_crystal_white_pe

Sleeping clowns are always so cute :wub: .

You posted minutes before me!! Thank you :) Love my clowns, they've only gotten more comfortable and happier as time has gone on. All the livestock in the (I'll admit, small tank) are getting along very very well!

Life has been very hectic these past few weeks. Negotiated and accepted an insurance settlement that I was happy with to write-off my beloved 2013' Subaru STI. Just have to go pick up the cheque this week sometime.

Dealing with purchasing a new car now, which went smoother than expected. Un-insured the 13', unregistered, then registered and insured the new car today.

It's so hectic... ahhhhhhhhh :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: But, it's all coming together thankfully and working out for me. I feel truly blessed.

Picking er' up tomorrow evening! Can't wait! Now I just need to convince Justin to hook me up with a big Zen Garage slap for the rear windshield.. :D:wub:

2016_subaru_wrx_premium_crystal_white_pe

You posted minutes before me!! Thank you :) Love my clowns, they've only gotten more comfortable and happier as time has gone on. All the livestock in the (I'll admit, small tank) are getting along very very well!

Glad to see you got the car sorted out buddy, I'm a big far on the MY15+ WRX, definitely think it is a step forward :). Enjoy the new car :). It always takes time my friend, I have found that even the most skittish fish relax over time.

Oh man! Just caught up on everything from the accident to the new car! Commiserations. Congratulations!!! All in one post! Cute how the cute new clowns helped you through times of trouble! And PM me your address! I'll send some stickers your way! :D

Oh man! Just caught up on everything from the accident to the new car! Commiserations. Congratulations!!! All in one post! Cute how the cute new clowns helped you through times of trouble! And PM me your address! I'll send some stickers your way! :D

:happy: :happy: :happy:

Archived