inTank Media Baskets

Rob's 5 gallon TANK

treborzelev

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BAD news the bristle worms got the peppermint shrimp! I think maybe while he was molting.

Man that sucks. I hate those things, did you get the nasty worms out ? Sorry about the peppermint shrimp :closedeyes:

treborzelev

Man that sucks. I hate those things, did you get the nasty worms out ? Sorry about the peppermint shrimp :closedeyes:

Probably should have, this one is getting a little too big to be safe but ive got plenty of them! (pics to follow)

I saw that your thread over at RC was shut down due to all the negativity and naysayers. While I believe we are all entitled to our own opinions I am glad you have decided to push the envelope with your tank. Whether your tank succeeds or fails, although looks great to me, there would be no proof that it can or cannot be done. I believe fish happiness is subjective and what we should be focusing on is fish healthiness. As long as your fish are healthy there should be little argument that your tank is overstocked. Please keep the updates coming so we can all continue to learn from your little ecosystem.

treborzelev

I saw that your thread over at RC was shut down due to all the negativity and naysayers. While I believe we are all entitled to our own opinions I am glad you have decided to push the envelope with your tank. Whether your tank succeeds or fails, although looks great to me, there would be no proof that it can or cannot be done. I believe fish happiness is subjective and what we should be focusing on is fish healthiness. As long as your fish are healthy there should be little argument that your tank is overstocked. Please keep the updates coming so we can all continue to learn from your little ecosystem.

Haha it may have also been shut down because the moderator Sugar Magnolia aka Adrienne was hell bent on proving to me that my tank was overstocked! I couldnt believe the moderator was sending me p.m.'s saying my tank was overstocked and I really needed to look into a refugium lol....so, I may have told her that she was a jac-@$$...then the thread was down ha! Really odd that the moderator had such an interest in my tank and a very odd group mentality over there very: 1990! Happy to be on Nano Reef's forum lol Anyways info on how to get my thread taken down would be appreciated. I appreciate your support and I hope as I continue to push the envelope successfully I gain some more supporters and a few less naysayers! Thanks again!

treborzelev

Probably should have, this one is getting a little too big to be safe but ive got plenty of them! (pics to follow)

DSC_0001_zpsbfe862d1.jpg

antsypants

Hey, I was skimming through the last page of your thread and wanted to let you know that that last photo looks more like a fire worm (bad) than a bristle worm (good) and that I'd take it out... also avoid touching it ;)

Otherwise, interesting tank, I'd love to see where it goes! Good luck.

Holy sh*t dude that's not a worm that's something from a horror movie. How do you remove that!!!
Oh my god...

Really odd that the moderator had such an interest in my tank and a very odd group mentality over there very: 1990!

"1990" mentality is so prevalent on reef forums. I was another forum saying how most LFS is still stuck in the 1990s with their lack of inventory management, lack of pricing information, and lack of QT process. And all the "experienced" folks jumped on me cuz I am a newbie. That's why there's a lack of innovation in this hobby. Everyone stuck on "world is flat" mentality. While I do think you may be a tad overstocked, it looks like you got it under control. I am always puzzled as to how people can claim fish is unhappy if it's disease free, eats a ton, and looks healthy.

I am always puzzled as to how people can claim fish is unhappy if it's disease free, eats a ton, and looks healthy.

Even despite those facts - nobody can claim that YOUR fish is "unhappy" based on seeing photographs or even video in your build thread.

Sure there may be specific behaviors that would indicate it's health/ happiness - that's something that CAN be determined. But based on Rob's thread.. this tank is thriving!

Makes me want to continue to push against the odds and think outside of the box and try things others may not be trying because it's "against the rules."

Rules were made to be broken (so long as you aren't being detrimental to any living organism of-course!)

doppelganger

Like I said in my post, it's not the "happiness" of the fish that's bothering me. It's the inexperience. You're clearly overstocked which is totally fine by me. You have a dragonette which is fine by me too as I have one. I tell you to train him on to frozen but you say it's impossible because other things will eat the food. Then you complaining about high nitrates. Then you say you you want a get hermit crabs to lower your nitrates which doesn't even make sense. Then you start carbon dosing without a skimmer.

I tell you all these things and you insult me and say I have no experience. Your not listening to anyone who's trying to help you and you're just insulting everyone who tries. If I say "You need a skimmer when you're carbon dosing". One would think that would maybe strike a cord and make you google that so you'll do more research. But no, you just ignore and insult me.

All I was trying to do is make you research more so you can potentially prevent a disaster which WILL happen as it does with all our tanks at some point.

With regards to the overstocked and growing fish topic, personally I love the fact that I can have a fish for years and see it grow. I don't like the idea of trading in a fish ever few months because it's getting too big for my tank. That's just me tho, and alot of ppl think like that so just get use to it. Don't insult everyone for not "pushing the envelop" because they enjoy keeping pets as they should be. I wouldn't buy a puppy an then trade it in for another puppy because it grows up and it's not as cute and as small.

I'm done tho. Like I said before, good luck with the tank.

treborzelev

Even despite those facts - nobody can claim that YOUR fish is "unhappy" based on seeing photographs or even video in your build thread.

Sure there may be specific behaviors that would indicate it's health/ happiness - that's something that CAN be determined. But based on Rob's thread.. this tank is thriving!

Makes me want to continue to push against the odds and think outside of the box and try things others may not be trying because it's "against the rules."

Rules were made to be broken (so long as you aren't being detrimental to any living organism of-course!)

Haha thanks for all the support! The guys (and girls) at my local fish stores agree! In my opinion, the community will learn that some old school rules are just that:old. Being a fellow forum "newbie" doesnt mean we cant try anything fun. It means we really need to do our research and devote more than the usual amount of time to our tank (I know we do lol). It means we need to listen to others advice but also respect the fact that much of the advice needs to be taken cautiously. For example: the post above this one!

Haters will make you famous.

HA! +1

"1990" mentality is so prevalent on reef forums. I was another forum saying how most LFS is still stuck in the 1990s with their lack of inventory management, lack of pricing information, and lack of QT process. And all the "experienced" folks jumped on me cuz I am a newbie. That's why there's a lack of innovation in this hobby. Everyone stuck on "world is flat" mentality. While I do think you may be a tad overstocked, it looks like you got it under control. I am always puzzled as to how people can claim fish is unhappy if it's disease free, eats a ton, and looks healthy.

Haha its all under control. Some people just are stuck in the past and thats no big deal, but trying to tell me I dont know what im doing is just ridiculous. I think the "experienced" folks are really just annoyed that they have never really established anything different of their own. Saying that someones fish are unhappy just shows how foolish some people really are.

Holy sh*t dude that's not a worm that's something from a horror movie. How do you remove that!!!

Oh my god...

Ive caught some with a pair of metal tongs while they came out to feed. If you grab them right in the middle tho they sometimes will rip themselves in half (wear gloves!).

Hey, I was skimming through the last page of your thread and wanted to let you know that that last photo looks more like a fire worm (bad) than a bristle worm (good) and that I'd take it out... also avoid touching it ;)

Otherwise, interesting tank, I'd love to see where it goes! Good luck.

Haha thanks!

GL with the emeralds. My track record is one out of four like to munch on your favorite/most expensive coral in the tank.

• 3 weeks later...
treborzelev

Juvenile Ruby Scooter Dragonette/Blenny Pictures tonight!!! (late)

GL with the emeralds. My track record is one out of four like to munch on your favorite/most expensive coral in the tank.

Worse things theyve done so far are knocking over some frags. I got them to take care of some bubble algae i saw forming ...so far, so good.

treborzelev

RUBY died. Found him during lunch with no eyes left.

He appeared to be eating frozen but I was still supplimenting the tank with live brine shrimp and also aquacultured pods..so I dont know what killed him.

Archived