Pod Your Reef

Rob's 5 gallon TANK

treborzelev

Do it man..

It might motivate me to buy another Spec V... and put it BEHIND my current Spec V. Then I basically have a 10Gallon DEEP tank when looking from the front hahahahaha

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
treborzelev

I did notice a few apastia and my friend had lost a few seahorses due to aptasia...thinking about waiting till my peppermint shrimp takes care of all of them before I delve into the seahorse market....

Snow_Phoenix

Very interesting. And here I was, thinking I was pushing it with 11 fish in my 30G DT. Whatever you're doing, keep it up. The key here is stability, and as long as you maintain balance, it shouldn't be a problem. :)

treborzelev

Very interesting. And here I was, thinking I was pushing it with 11 fish in my 30G DT. Whatever you're doing, keep it up. The key here is stability, and as long as you maintain balance, it shouldn't be a problem. :)

haha u would need to put in about 24 fish to stay on par lol jk. I think since my tank is so old it just seems to be naturally very stable. I am also VERY obbsessive about my levels but since Ive read and seen firsthand how fragile seahorses are Im a little nervous still lol

Don't seahorses need cooler temp. water ?

I didnt think so... my two lfs have them mixed in with the gen pop. lol

natalia_la_loca

haha u would need to put in about 24 fish to stay on par lol jk. I think since my tank is so old it just seems to be naturally very stable. I am also VERY obbsessive about my levels but since Ive read and seen firsthand how fragile seahorses are Im a little nervous still lol

I didnt think so... my two lfs have them mixed in with the gen pop. lol

RBTA + clownfish + 5 gallon mixed reef = seahorse torture chamber. Please don't do it.

Your LFS are idiots.

treborzelev

RBTA + clownfish + pico mixed reef = seahorse torture chamber. Please don't do it.

Your LFS are idiots.

Do you think theyll bully the seahorse too much?

natalia_la_loca

Clownfish can be highly territorial. You might get lucky, but in a tank so tiny, I'd be surprised.

BTW, seahorses need to eat a LOT, and often.

And the RBTA would eat them for lunch.

I think the BTA ain't good for them, I think they need stuff to post onto. I seen some builds with people using fake plastic plants to help them.

But I also see people using chiller's in their seahorse builds.. but perhaps they just live in very warm places and need that so it's not like 85*F.

Also, I think they're super lazy/ slow at getting food, I don't think the clowns would bully on purpose, but I think that they just wouldn't be able to get food since the clowns would get it first. But.. I don't know anything about this - just based on seeing other's builds!

Whatever you do mate best of luck, and tons of pics!!

I wonder if you could put a seahorse in a 3gal...

natalia_la_loca

You could if they were dwarf seahorses. But dwarf seahorses only eat live food. And yes, they do need low temps to combat bad bacteria. To do it successfully, it would really have to be a species-only tank. No mixed reef, clownfish, etc.

treborzelev

Clownfish can be highly territorial. You might get lucky, but in a tank so tiny, I'd be surprised.

BTW, seahorses need to eat a LOT, and often.

And the RBTA would eat them for lunch.

You could if they were dwarf seahorses. But dwarf seahorses only eat live food. And yes, they do need low temps to combat bad bacteria. To do it successfully, it would really have to be a species-only tank. No mixed reef, clownfish, etc.

I think the BTA ain't good for them, I think they need stuff to post onto. I seen some builds with people using fake plastic plants to help them.

But I also see people using chiller's in their seahorse builds.. but perhaps they just live in very warm places and need that so it's not like 85*F.

Also, I think they're super lazy/ slow at getting food, I don't think the clowns would bully on purpose, but I think that they just wouldn't be able to get food since the clowns would get it first. But.. I don't know anything about this - just based on seeing other's builds!

Whatever you do mate best of luck, and tons of pics!!

AHH now im even more nervous...for some reason i have the nicest least aggressive clowns ever but I doubt ill really take the chance..its nice to dream tho...also i think my halimeda algae would be perfect posts? I feed a ton so I think they would survive based on feeding but my rbta is kinda REALLY big so i would be upset if he ended up eating the dwarf seahorse!

Thanks everyone for the input SOooo helpful!

treborzelev

FTS update! Tested the full spectrum and things are looking great and very stable! Water last changed on 5/9/14 (1 gallon)..if I can get water changes down to simply one or two solo cups biweekly I will be thrilled!!!

DSC_0083_zps17e7f4cb.jpg

Dude looks so good. I'm in love with dragonette's lately. My LFS has like 15 of them all in their frag-tank without sand or anything and they've been there now 2+ months they're thriving it looks like! Each time I go I have to run away from them to keep myself haha.. I don't think I could put them in my Spec V :(

However - Maybe I'll start another Spec tank specifically for a type of dragonette or scooter..... hmmm.

FTS looks great dude!

Can you post an updated list of your livestock??

You can not keep dwarf seahorses, they need a tank setup with fake live rock so that there aren't any hydroids. Your bubble tip will kill them, I have 5 fish in my 20 and I'm still worried. Please don't get the seahorses unless you can setup a special tank just for them.

treborzelev

You can not keep dwarf seahorses, they need a tank setup with fake live rock so that there aren't any hydroids. Your bubble tip will kill them, I have 5 fish in my 20 and I'm still worried. Please don't get the seahorses unless you can setup a special tank just for them.

Yeah im bailing on the dwarf seahorse idea...maybe a juvinile seahorse...well see.. taking my time

What are you worried about in your 20?

treborzelev

Before and after from used tank purchase (on right) to now(left).

Contains:

FISH

Juvenile yellow spotted mandarin

Yellow watchman goby

Paired clownfish

Firefish (Jumped 2/14)

INVERTS

Porcelin crab

Hermit crab

Scarlet Hermit crab

2 1 fighting conch (3/14)

Snails: 1 turbo, 5 nassarius, 1 bumble bee 1 chesnut crowie 1 turban 3 Cerith

Peppermint shrimp

Fire Shrimp

Yellow pistol shrimp

2 Jewel box clams

3 Sea cucumbers

CORAL

3 types of zoas

Green Candy cane

Green sinularia

3 types of xenias

Brown mushroom toadstool

Green ricordia

Pink mushroom

2 sea fan

Duncan

Rose bubble tip anemone

Purple Condy anemone

Updated list Kijho! Thanks for the support! I think the dragonette's would do well once you have an established copepod population. Maybe try adding some? Luckily I have them running around everywhere so my mandarin is pretty happy. I have seen many ruby scooter blennys lately and have been thinking about trying one but since my space is SO limited ive been giving alot of thought to my last addition. I also am thinking about trading in the mated clowns to really open up the possibilities but they would be tough to part with.

I'm worried about having to much fish in my 20.

Yeah im bailing on the dwarf seahorse idea...maybe a juvinile seahorse...well see.. taking my time

What are you worried about in your 20?

treborzelev

I'm worried about having to much fish in my 20.

Then get rid of some!

Iphone pics

IMG_2233_zps7a158f20.jpg

IMG_2221_zps62ff45b1.jpg

IMG_2231_zps732b88e4.jpg

IMG_2238_zpse48c2516.jpg

IMG_2201_zpsb8138a1c.jpg

IMG_2240_zps2f4843a7.jpg

treborzelev

RBTA + clownfish + 5 gallon mixed reef = seahorse torture chamber. Please don't do it.

Your LFS are idiots.

Please refrain from calling anyone an idiot from my 3 lfs. Trying out new things is how you gain experience..did you know that? Really my biggest fear about adding a seahorse is my live rock, not my clownfish. A seahorse torture chamber would look a little different.

This is awesome man. I have no idea how you're doing it haha but you're doing it well!!

Thanks for updating the list, I was curious! So great!

Have a good weekend dude

treborzelev

This is awesome man. I have no idea how you're doing it haha but you're doing it well!!

Thanks for updating the list, I was curious! So great!

Have a good weekend dude

Haha thank you! I just really like to read alot and I am obsessed with keeping my chemistry in the appropriate ranges (I also STILL bring in water samples to my LFS to check against my own readings lol). I also try to keep my chemistry in range while not stressing about levels that are on the higher end of the spectrum. Water changes are only done when necessary and I also believe with the appropriate time dedicated to the tank and equipment anyone else can achieve these same results. Also I think that once your tank is very established carbon dosing is really the only way to go. As long as your tank can handle the feeding/dosing necessary to accommodate the livestock youll be able to really push the limits of your Spec V, eventually!

doppelganger

I'm happy things are working out for you, but honestly you need to do more research. This is a bad idea. I can live with the bioload of the fish for now since ur doing water changes and everything. I really hope the mandarin eats frozen as well. Just because you can see pods, doesn't mean there's enough for him long term so if he isn't eating frozen, please start getting him on that.

Did you ever wonder why your firefish jumped? They're very skittish fish and having such a confined space with lots of livestock could be a factor.

BTA's don't always split cuz they're happy. They can split when stressed. It WILL get too big for the tank and probably take out a few things with it. It's already stinging your toadstool.

Carbon dosing? You have no skimmer. The fact that you need to carbon dose AND do water changes because your nitrates are so high proves that you're overstocked. The whole purpose of carbon dosing is to give the bacteria a food source so you can export more nutrients. How do you expect to do that without a skimmer? Not to mention the role it plays in aerating the water.

PLEASE research more. You can still learn and fix alot of things. I want your tank to do well but you're on the brink of disaster. At least if you change your habits now, you can avoid a crash. I'm not trying to be rude but am being honest. I'm fine if you want to keep doing what you're doing. It's your tank. Just learn why you're doing things. There's a reason ppl don't keep BTA's in a small tank. There's a reason ppl use skimmers when carbon dosing.

Think long term for your tank to thrive. What your doing works... for now. Just because you've had it for a few months, doesn't mean it's mature and thriving. A mature and thriving reef tank is one that you can enjoy without needing to do water changes every day because you're nitrates are high. One where you can go on vacation and the only thing you and your sitter needs to worry about is feeding the fish every few days. I'm all for trying new things, but you try them once you have experience. Otherwise you're just an inexperienced newbie who got lucky.

Sorry if it sounds harsh... but you NEED to do more research.

treborzelev

I'm happy things are working out for you, but honestly you need to do more research. This is a bad idea. I can live with the bioload of the fish for now since ur doing water changes and everything. I really hope the mandarin eats frozen as well. Just because you can see pods, doesn't mean there's enough for him long term so if he isn't eating frozen, please start getting him on that.

Did you ever wonder why your firefish jumped? They're very skittish fish and having such a confined space with lots of livestock could be a factor.

BTA's don't always split cuz they're happy. They can split when stressed. It WILL get too big for the tank and probably take out a few things with it. It's already stinging your toadstool.

Carbon dosing? You have no skimmer. The fact that you need to carbon dose AND do water changes because your nitrates are so high proves that you're overstocked. The whole purpose of carbon dosing is to give the bacteria a food source so you can export more nutrients. How do you expect to do that without a skimmer? Not to mention the role it plays in aerating the water.

PLEASE research more. You can still learn and fix alot of things. I want your tank to do well but you're on the brink of disaster. At least if you change your habits now, you can avoid a crash. I'm not trying to be rude but am being honest. I'm fine if you want to keep doing what you're doing. It's your tank. Just learn why you're doing things. There's a reason ppl don't keep BTA's in a small tank. There's a reason ppl use skimmers when carbon dosing.

Think long term for your tank to thrive. What your doing works... for now. Just because you've had it for a few months, doesn't mean it's mature and thriving. A mature and thriving reef tank is one that you can enjoy without needing to do water changes every day because you're nitrates are high. One where you can go on vacation and the only thing you and your sitter needs to worry about is feeding the fish every few days. I'm all for trying new things, but you try them once you have experience. Otherwise you're just an inexperienced newbie who got lucky.

Sorry if it sounds harsh... but you NEED to do more research.

Im really sorry you think that! But your knowledge seems a little bit too simple to really be giving me advice...please keep doing what you are doing if that works for you im really glad! Honestly you can keep a bubble in this tank.. Do you know why? Because if it gets too big you can take it out...Do you know that the advice of starting to acclimate a mandarin in this tank to frozen would fail? There are too many other feeders in this tank to acclimate any fish to frozen, attempting so would end in a dead fish. Do you realize that a skimmer is completely unneccesary in a 5 gallon tank? And that I change the water bi-weekly NOT daily..MAYBE all my coral is splitting because they are all stressed...maybe not...The new toadstool that split off may be lucky enough not to deal with the RBTA but the large one seems to be surviving.Also my house sitters love the tank way too much to only feed my tank every few days they love nightly feeding time! reread what you wrote and make sure when you give advice to others it is well thought out and well researched...sorry if i am coming off rude but In this case I think you really need to rethink when you advise/your own nano reefing methods. Thanks for checking out my thread and sorry if you feel like im just lucky...but in this hobby luck really wont get you far!

Archived