ReefCleaners.org

Rob's 5 gallon TANK

treborzelev

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
treborzelev

yeah I always have rather high nitrates and sometimes elevated phosphates. I dont really like doing water changes so im going to see if the carbon dosing lessens the frequency of them.

• 3 weeks later...
treborzelev

So I have been carbon dosing for about 2 weeks and still my nitrate levels are at about 80+. I think I am going to reduce my feedings to 1.5ml of marine snow nightly and one cube of mysis/supercarnivore/cyclopeeze/brine (roating all four) nightly. The firefish must have jumped out while I had the top off at some point because he was found stuck to the floor, thinking about replacing him with a ruby scooter blenny. I also purchased 10 assorted snails to help clean up even more.

treborzelev

Goby and pistol shrimp looking for some dinner.

[/url]">http://IMG_20140418_221922_841_zpsc9569967.jpg

Pic before I moved all the live rock yesterday

http://DSC_0300_zpsa5d998d7.jpg

Your tank looks very nice but I would agree with the other folks who posted about exceeding the recommended stocking limits of your tank. I serviced tanks for a live fish store and I've seen everything. Even with the best husbandry practices your tank has no margin for error and even a small catastrophe like a power outage or clogged filter could be totally fatal for the tank inhabitants.

treborzelev

Your tank looks very nice but I would agree with the other folks who posted about exceeding the recommended stocking limits of your tank. I serviced tanks for a live fish store and I've seen everything. Even with the best husbandry practices your tank has no margin for error and even a small catastrophe like a power outage or clogged filter could be totally fatal for the tank inhabitants.

My filtration system is on a schedule thats has it turned off for many hours after carbon dosing and feeding. The margin for error in my tank my seem very small to a new aquarist but when we tank about margins that is all really relative. One reason why I keep sps coral, is that they are a great marker for any issues that may arrise but with routine testing and daily attention, I think, my tank will continue to thrive. I really think that every tank may have given max "capacities" but many of those capacities are very outdated when compared to advances in nano tanks and nano compatible equipment. On the other hand I appreciate you reading my thread and of course thank you for taking the time to give me advice.

treborzelev

Damn! You've got this thing loaded! Pretty impressive! How often are you doing water changes?

Im really only beginning to really max out my current coral population...I need to get a hold of some more rare or distinctive coral...thats the thing about our spec vs....SPACE IS LIMITED..lol....I haven't really gotten water changes down to a routine I more try to keep an eye on the more delicate corals and then test the water quality, then i change the water as needed...one word of advice for nano world tho... the longer can manage to leave the tank untouched the better!

My filtration system is on a schedule thats has it turned off for many hours after carbon dosing and feeding. The margin for error in my tank my seem very small to a new aquarist but when we tank about margins that is all really relative. One reason why I keep sps coral, is that they are a great marker for any issues that may arrise but with routine testing and daily attention, I think, my tank will continue to thrive. I really think that every tank may have given max "capacities" but many of those capacities are very outdated when compared to advances in nano tanks and nano compatible equipment. On the other hand I appreciate you reading my thread and of course thank you for taking the time to give me advice.

I'm glad its working for you and you do have a very nice tank. And hey, I worked for the LFS in the late 1990s and you are right, some things have changed since then. Best of luck to you.

You're pushing a lot of things in this tank. Obviously, your nitrates are through the roof, but I think a refugium with some chaeto and rock could help lower your nitrates too. Extra space, without looking like extra space!

I think a lot of myths are being debunked with new research and nano-technology in the aquarium hobby. Honestly if you just took out one or two fish, you would have a lot less problems.

treborzelev

You're pushing a lot of things in this tank. Obviously, your nitrates are through the roof, but I think a refugium with some chaeto and rock could help lower your nitrates too. Extra space, without looking like extra space!

I think a lot of myths are being debunked with new research and nano-technology in the aquarium hobby. Honestly if you just took out one or two fish, you would have a lot less problems.

Haha i havent really begun to push my tank limits IMO.One major benefit i have with my tank is that it has been established for years! I will be adding a ruby scooter blenny to replace my firefish jumper tho! Once your tank becomes more established I recommend you look at carbon dosing and other avenues to help with your nitrates and phosphate levels. Since i do feed often my nitrate levels do sometimes rise up above 80 and then i simply do a "large" water change (2 gallons 50% lol). Thats the other beautiful thing about nano tanks the water changes are fast and very simple especially if you add all the water into the return chamber so it causes no mess! AND MAKE SURE all fish are already eating frozen and have been held at your lfs for at least 2 weeks ...the longer they will hold them for you the better!

1.5ml of marine snow nightly and one cube of mysis/supercarnivore/cyclopeeze/brine (roating all four) nightly.

I think this may be the reason for your high nitrate. Is this normal push-packet cubes?

treborzelev

I think this may be the reason for your high nitrate. Is this normal push-packet cubes?

No I pop them all out put in baggies and break in half. I think my nitrate may be more coralated to the marine snow, its really hard to tell but even with these levels the corals look fine?

Use it.... Wait for it to turn black... It's gotta be absorbing something! It doesn't necessarily remove nitrates directly, however. It absorbs all organics before they decompose and turn into nitrates. It definitely works.

pismo_reefer

So.... You have 3 fish, in a 5g, and yer feeding EVERY night?

And, you wonder why yer nitrate is high?

C'mon.

Yer turbo-charging yer bio load... Better start doing large, frequent water changes.

treborzelev
So.... You have 3 fish, in a 5g, and yer feeding EVERY night?

And, you wonder why yer nitrate is high?

C'mon.

Yer turbo-charging yer bio load... Better start doing large, frequent water changes.

4 fish need to be fed at LEAST once daily(dont be cruel)...the coral also rather enjoys it, feeding once daily isnt against the laws of nano reefing.I hope u realize that nitrates are 1 not that big of a deal 2 actually help some of my sofies thrive. I dont change water very often at all! I am down to a 2 gallon water change about every two to three weeks with nitrates ranging from 40 to 80. would i rather have them at 0? maybe, but really im more interested in making the nitrates lower with carbon dosing.

Archived