Pod Your Reef

Rob's 5 gallon TANK

treborzelev

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toadstool leather if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks. I was looking at the original post and googled the corals and couldn't find one that grew so much vertically. Could that be a result of insufficient light? I know my freshwater plants will act differently depending on the light; high light means lower, more compact growth while low light results in taller plants. Not sure if that's the same for corals or if this has something to do with the size of the tank. Slightly larger coral in a small tank making it look massive.

Thanks. I was looking at the original post and googled the corals and couldn't find one that grew so much vertically. Could that be a result of insufficient light? I know my freshwater plants will act differently depending on the light; high light means lower, more compact growth while low light results in taller plants. Not sure if that's the same for corals or if this has something to do with the size of the tank. Slightly larger coral in a small tank making it look massive.

Yep, this one lacks sufficient lighting, and might also be the result of the anemone stinging it from behind. I think it's more of a lighting issue though.

New reefers seem to put way too much into lighting parameters. Focus on water quality THEN move onto lighting.

I had to frag this toadstool into 8 pieces just this week. Soft leather corals like this one can easily take up large portions of a tank (nano) and often times auto-fragment as well. Toadstools do typically get larger as time passes and this one was out of control ...look through my thread its only been about a year. Lighting should be about 150 par for most corals. My lighting, of course, is about 200 par.

Also a little trick I used was spinning the rock the toadstool was set on so that it would wrap around the live rock. Eventually I still ran out of room and or changed the scape a million times so that the coral was out of the water most of the day.

New reefers seem to put way too much into lighting parameters. Focus on water quality THEN move onto lighting.
I had to frag this toadstool into 8 pieces just this week. Soft leather corals like this one can easily take up large portions of a tank (nano) and often times auto-fragment as well. Toadstools do typically get larger as time passes and this one was out of control ...look through my thread its only been about a year. Lighting should be about 150 par for most corals. My lighting, of course, is about 200 par.

That's one of the things that I noted and probably contributes to the way it looks in the picture. Like I said, slightly larger coral in a small tank makes that coral look a lot bigger than it really is. I've seen pictures of the fixture you're using but didn't happen to catch which fixture it is unfortunately. Would also definitely be interested in how you plan on fragging such a coral.

That's one of the things that I noted and probably contributes to the way it looks in the picture. Like I said, slightly larger coral in a small tank makes that coral look a lot bigger than it really is. I've seen pictures of the fixture you're using but didn't happen to catch which fixture it is unfortunately. Would also definitely be interested in how you plan on fragging such a coral.

To frag a toadstool I cut it up into pieces with a sharp object, making clean cuts. I also frag the coral in a bucket seperate from the display tank usually filled with water that I just cleaned out.

To frag a toadstool I cut it up into pieces with a sharp object, making clean cuts. I also frag the coral in a bucket seperate from the display tank usually filled with water that I just cleaned out.

The tough part I'm unsure about is where to cut. Are you just cutting the top part or are you cutting into the shaft part of it? I know you can cut off chunks from the top but I wasn't sure what you would do about the stock.

The tough part I'm unsure about is where to cut. Are you just cutting the top part or are you cutting into the shaft part of it? I know you can cut off chunks from the top but I wasn't sure what you would do about the stock.

here is a nice video example.

Or you can just use some scissors and just cut it up however you want depending on your tanks ability to support frags.

Your new fish is very cute. How is it adjusting?

Great and so are my toadstool frags! I need to Frag this green leather soon.

DSC_0032_zpsmhyxtrjj.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsll6qlebt.jpg

DSC_0022_zps9vutnprf.jpg

DSC_0023_zpsbm10oq4v.jpg

I am afraid to frag this rose bubble in the display tank, but he is soo attached to the rock I dont think I could ever get him off of it without seriously hurting it (Ive tried)

DSC_0002_zpsh7kisgz7.jpg

your bristle worms creep me out....=P

How many fish do you have in there now? 5? Or is it 6 now?

Either way, looks great. I hate the worms but the rest looks sweet.

Im up to 5. The next purchase is looking like an arrow crab for the worms no one likes.

Archived