Pod Your Reef

First Reef Aquarium 10 gallon

anizato

Short news. Rose has started to move! :haha::scarry:

im just doing 30% WC every week and vacuuming.. i guess im gonna go all crazy buying a lot of corals, fishes, anemone this weekend and do more water changes... thanks for letting me know.. whats your test results? i have everything at 0 only amonia at 0.3 and salinity 1.025

btw any problems with algae ??

Yeah, SOME. Mostly because I don't know how to feed, so I am sure most of it has to do with that. Because I turn off the filter for an hour and feeding for the first 10minutes. Spot and fan-feeding. Every other day. Except, the Brains, Clownfish & 'Rose'. Which get spot fed daily with pellets.

Also keep in mind I added Dr. Tim's along with the water change. This stuff is like an army of protection.

All of my coral have been dipped in many ways, depending on the situation, if you have read enough your instincts will know what to do. I know the reefer I buy from is a professional who goes thru tremendous effort to clean & disinfect and acclimate the animals. So I am guaranteed no parasites.

Hey everyone,

There was a recent heat stroke these last few days and it made my tank's temp rise to 84F on the first day. So I placed my frozen cup of distilled water into the refugium to help, but that didnt help, so I mixed water on the fly and did a 30% WC with that cool water.

Third day was super hot out and took the tank up to unknown temperatures, (because at work), when I got home (1am) temp was 84*. Everyone seemed PISSED! There was nothing to do but to open the windows and see in the morning.

That morning was today. I did a 30% WC AGAIN tried to clean some rocks from algae and brown unknown shit that develops daily. Everything is starting to look better as I write this. I can tell by just looking at my Torch and Purple Hammer. They are my immediate indicators of something being ffeckd up.

Kenya Tree looks heat exhausted LOL. Kedd's Reds are doing better every day. Green Zoas at the top are multiplying like CRAZY!

Blueberry Gorgonia seems to have gotten cooked by the unknown heat peak.

Rose (my RBTA) has decided to hide (video of her taking a step towards that spot coming up soon!) behind THE CAVE. I cannot think of why she is there or how to attract her elsewhere. All I can conclude is that I should redirect my powerhead (Koralia 425) and/or add a second powerhead (Koralia 225) to encourage her to move elsewhere.

ANY & ALL suggestions are most very welcome and heartfully appreciated.

Also, I noticed these tiny little white 'worms'??? On the Torch a long time ago. Now they are all over the glass it is near.

Oh!! I almost forgot, the WHORE (egg-galore laying Nerite Snail) has been laying eggs everyday!

Thanks for following!

Last pic is of THE CAVE, behind that is where you can find Rose /:

(:

Jeradmccarty

Hey everyone,

There was a recent heat stroke these last few days and it made my tank's temp rise to 84F on the first day. So I placed my frozen cup of distilled water into the refugium to help, but that didnt help, so I mixed water on the fly and did a 30% WC with that cool water.

Third day was super hot out and took the tank up to unknown temperatures, (because at work), when I got home (1am) temp was 84*. Everyone seemed PISSED! There was nothing to do but to open the windows and see in the morning.

That morning was today. I did a 30% WC AGAIN tried to clean some rocks from algae and brown unknown shit that develops daily. Everything is starting to look better as I write this. I can tell by just looking at my Torch and Purple Hammer. They are my immediate indicators of something being ffeckd up.

Kenya Tree looks heat exhausted LOL. Kedd's Reds are doing better every day. Green Zoas at the top are multiplying like CRAZY!

Blueberry Gorgonia seems to have gotten cooked by the unknown heat peak.

Rose (my RBTA) has decided to hide (video of her taking a step towards that spot coming up soon!) behind THE CAVE. I cannot think of why she is there or how to attract her elsewhere. All I can conclude is that I should redirect my powerhead (Koralia 425) and/or add a second powerhead (Koralia 225) to encourage her to move elsewhere.

ANY & ALL suggestions are most very welcome and heartfully appreciated.

Also, I noticed these tiny little white 'worms'??? On the Torch a long time ago. Now they are all over the glass it is near.

Oh!! I almost forgot, the WHORE (egg-galore laying Nerite Snail) has been laying eggs everyday!

Thanks for following!

Last pic is of THE CAVE, behind that is where you can find Rose /:

(:

Best way to get rid of the heat fast if you don't have a chiller is to use a fan and point it directly at the top of the water and have the fan on medium or high, that will cause the fresh water to evaporate faster which in turn help reduce the heat dramatically but will also evaporate your fresh water volume at th same time so you should have some RO DI fresh water lying around to do a fresh top off at the end of the day, but that in my opinion works the best. I have a small DIY fan set up on the side of my tank and it's hooked of to a heat thermo sensor so when ever my tank reaches 81 on hot days it kicks the fan on until the temp gets back down to 78.5 and then it kicks off. You can buy a thermo temp online for like 15-20 bucks and then just plug a fan into it and you won't have to worry again. Yeah I live in Monterey ca which is about and hour and a half from SF and we just had a HUGE heat wave down here for the whole week and this little fan and thermo sensor of mine really saved my tank but I needed quite a bit of fresh water for top offs but that's all good cause my tank didn't over heat. Oh yeah and don't be alarmed by the pic of the thermo computer it's in celcius hahahaha that's the only way it comes so it's not 26 degrees F in my tank hahaha

post-78020-0-28912500-1400248366_thumb.jpg

post-78020-0-47733600-1400248374_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
MirandaCaine

Do you guys not have a/c in Cali *whew*!?!? I can't believe the frozen distilled in the refugium didn't help. I thought that was a great idea, and was going to steal it! Have you seen the "worms" move? They look fairly like snail egg sacks to me, could you possibly have more than one slutty snail?lol... Can't wait to see the vid or Rose! I think ur idea of a smaller power head could possibly get her to move, maybe even consider a wave maker, or a few cheapy timers to alternate your powerheads, should entice her to come back out

• Like 2

hey Jeradmccarty, thanks for the idea about the sensor, i just bought this to try out on amazon, it got good reviews and some from aquarium peeps. its also celcius only.

• Like 1
Jeradmccarty

Do you guys not have a/c in Cali *whew*!?!? I can't believe the frozen distilled in the refugium didn't help. I thought that was a great idea, and was going to steal it! Have you seen the "worms" move? They look fairly like snail egg sacks to me, could you possibly have more than one slutty snail?lol... Can't wait to see the vid or Rose! I think ur idea of a smaller power head could possibly get her to move, maybe even consider a wave maker, or a few cheapy timers to alternate your powerheads, should entice her to come back out

AC in California hahahahaha no such thing. In Monterey ca avg temp in the summer is between 60-75 and mildly warm and in sf maybe max out at 80-85 but never above 90 and this last week we got pummeled with a heat wave and broke record temps it was 96 in Monterey and the last time we saw temps that hi here was in 1994

hey Jeradmccarty, thanks for the idea about the sensor, i just bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KVCPH2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]this[/url] to try out on amazon, it got good reviews and some from aquarium peeps. its also celcius only.

Yeah that's the same one that I have and it works wonders, just hook up a small fan to it and mount it on the edge of your tank and point it right at the top of the water and you can cool a tank wi5h evaporative cooling down 3-4 degrees in a matter or minutes
  • Like 1

I have a couple of distilled frozen glasses in the freezer. I added one when temp was 81 in tank but almost 90 outside. It DID help in preventing the temp from rising, so it KEPT it at 81. The day I DID NOT use that, temp went up to 84 (that I could see).

Seems like the fan thing is THE way to go! Thanks Jaredmccarty

As for Rose, due to the 2nd powerhead she DID move. However she only moved to a more hidden location and can only see her pretty tentacles moving slightly. Im going to keep cycling them until I find her out n about.

AC in California hahahahaha no such thing. In Monterey ca avg temp in the summer is between 60-75 and mildly warm and in sf maybe max out at 80-85 but never above 90 and this last week we got pummeled with a heat wave and broke record temps it was 96 in Monterey and the last time we saw temps that hi here was in 1994

I should go live in NorCal. It was 100 degrees yesterday in the part of SoCal that I live in and it's 97 degrees today.

• Like 2
Jeradmccarty
I should go live in NorCal. It was 100 degrees yesterday in the part of SoCal that I live in and it's 97 degrees today.

Yeah dude it's 75 in Monterey right now and here we consider that scorching!

• Like 1

Awesome tank, man! Also following you!

I have a JBJ 12 gal that I just started up 8 days ago... man that heat wave SUCKED! I ended up picking up a fan off of Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049RNVXI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Actually love this thing (even if it looks a bit weird hanging off of my tank) - it brought my temp down from 85(!) to a cool 76.1 - figured that if this heat is any indication of summer, it would be worth it to invest in something to keep the temps stable.

Anyway, keep up the awesome tank! :)

-Bubba

• Like 1

Here is the 5 min video of Rose taking her first step.

After this glorious moment was caught on tape, She has remained hidden behind The Cave. It seems like I am going to have to twist The Cave in order to get her showing her in the front.

I have noticed the Sexy Shrimp bother her a lot. This must have a lot to do with it. Any suggestions on how to get her off that big rock and on to a smaller one or something, so I can place her in a quarantine net for a while?

-AniZaTo

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the 5 min video of Rose taking her first step.

i wanted to buy that rose, its $100 expensive.. how much you got your for??

Jeradmccarty

A lot of times they just need to be peeled off the rock carefully and placed where you want them a couple of times, I have had plenty of bta's in my day and usually when you want them in a specific pace you just have to place them there about 2-3 times and then they will finally stay put, I think the 3rd time is usually the charm, but you can also build up the tank to a certain degree of making that spot comfortable for the nem, like not high water flow and in a sunny spot that's what they seem to like low to med flow and lots of light. I have done this quite a few times and it usually always works after the 3rd peel and placement. When you peel them off the rock you just have to be very gentle and take your time and they will eventually let go and you can replace it, but if there foot is holding strong into a crevice where you can't get to then don't pull wait until they move out themselves then try to peel but you don't want to hurt there foot, you will never hurt there foot if you are always slow and gentle and very careful.

• Like 1

i wanted to buy that rose, its $100 expensive.. how much you got your for??

$45 with my local coral dealer.

A lot of times they just need to be peeled off the rock carefully and placed where you want them a couple of times, I have had plenty of bta's in my day and usually when you want them in a specific pace you just have to place them there about 2-3 times and then they will finally stay put, I think the 3rd time is usually the charm, but you can also build up the tank to a certain degree of making that spot comfortable for the nem, like not high water flow and in a sunny spot that's what they seem to like low to med flow and lots of light. I have done this quite a few times and it usually always works after the 3rd peel and placement. When you peel them off the rock you just have to be very gentle and take your time and they will eventually let go and you can replace it, but if there foot is holding strong into a crevice where you can't get to then don't pull wait until they move out themselves then try to peel but you don't want to hurt there foot, you will never hurt there foot if you are always slow and gentle and very careful.

I think she has perished from the spot she selected. I don't see her tentacles at all ...it's been 3 days already. Everything else is happy, all diatom has gone and the rocks are 85% clean, except for one that has red hair algae growing on it.

Jeradmccarty
$45 with my local coral dealer.

I think she has perished from the spot she selected. I don't see her tentacles at all ...it's been 3 days already. Everything else is happy, all diatom has gone and the rocks are 85% clean, except for one that has red hair algae growing on it.

Did you feed the bta? Because sometimes it can take them a few days to poop everything out because they don't get it out the first time they try, and they look like hell when they poop, they look like there dying in every way but then they inflate again and all is good

• Like 2

well let us hope the lady is taking a lady-shieet! because if there is a cup for best shieetter, Rose is the champ!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Best way to get rid of the heat fast if you don't have a chiller is to use a fan and point it directly at the top of the water and have the fan on medium or high, ... You can buy a thermo temp online for like 15-20 bucks and then just plug a fan into it and you won't have to worry again. ...

Hey bud, what temp sensor are you using? I can't seem to convince myself I am looking at the right ones. http://amzn.com/B005IMZSVQ

http://amzn.com/B002B0KVFQ

http://amzn.com/B0054U4YKI

http://amzn.com/B00J3GSG3K

would something like that work? I like the digital screen you have, it looks very handy!

I am getting several stuff from amazon for my tank, just need to know what sensor you have.

Thanks.

Jeradmccarty

Hey bud, what temp sensor are you using? I can't seem to convince myself I am looking at the right ones. http://amzn.com/B005IMZSVQ

http://amzn.com/B002B0KVFQ

http://amzn.com/B0054U4YKI

http://amzn.com/B00J3GSG3K

would something like that work? I like the digital screen you have, it looks very handy!

I am getting several stuff from amazon for my tank, just need to know what sensor you have.

Thanks.

Here is a pic of it, it works great!

post-78020-0-92517400-1402517500_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I have to apologize to everybody who has/had been following this thread. I disappeared for a minute due to a slight depression I went through after my tank overheated and 90% of animals died. Two o. Clownfish, three zoas (two are thriving, one is being attacked by bubble algae), all my snails and my 6 hermit crab survived the heatwave.

In terms of equipment, after the chaos I completely re-did my filtration. I bought an AquaClear 110 and cut the impellers to make it around half of its original strength. In the AC110 I placed a 15g nano inner filter, My two macro algae Red G. & Chaeto (which have leaked into the display and haven't the slightest clue how to get rid of), live rubble, sponges, etc. In addition to that, I still run the AC30 I had before, in which I have Purigen and sponges with PolyFilter. The water is pristine. I haven't had the need to change the water in nearly 3 weeks. I have been testing and it has been stable at 0.

Every other day I may approach the tank and suction some water out by syphoning the sand and rocks, I replace it with new mix. The only other maintenance required is 2 daily top offs.

I want to get a fish that will eat algae and an emerald crab (if you think it isn't a good idea please let me know why). Does anybody have any other ideas or recommendations? I don't want my two clownfish to bully anyone or attack their new tank mate. Will a baby blue tank be a bad idea?
BRADYBUNCH7

Hey everybody! absolute N00B here!

So I HAD to go for a 10 gallon (yes I know, not an ideal beginner's choice) due to space restriction.

I want to have this be a self-sufficient ecosystem. Adding chemicals is something I want to stay away from as much as possible. That being said, I have plans to add a nano-refugium with some pods into my HOB.

Equipment & Stuff (so far):

10 Gallon Display

Koralia Nano 425GPH

Instant Ocean Reef Crystal Sea Salt Marine Mix (just to begin)

CaribSea Arag-Alive 20lb (livesand) Used 12lb

Aqueon 15-Gallon QuietFlow Internal Filter TOOK IT OUT once I got the Marina Hang On Refugium with a Koralia 70gph Centrifugal Pump

ViaAqua Titanium 200-watt Heater ( I keep distilled water in the freezer for summer days ;) )

AquaClear 30 HOB-Filter running PolyFilter

Ecoxotic PAR38 20k LED

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt Mix 55gal bucket

I will be assembling it all next week, since some of the items have not yet arrived. But I wanted to pick your guys' brain in hopes to get an even better start!

I have asked my LFS to save about 15" of LIVE ROCK for me. Since it will be fully cured by the time I get it, do I still have to cycle it in my aquarium?

Ideally, the LIVE STOCK, we (my wife and I) want:

FISH

2 Clown (gotten)

1 Wheeler (gotten)

SHRIMP

1 Randal/Candy Pistol Shrimp, paired in 5 min with Wheeler

SNAIL

2 Nassarius

10 Ceriths

2 Vibex

FAN WORMS

no idea but we want at least ONE (MUST HAVE)

SPONGE

Orange Fan (Axinella Bookhouti) NOT YET

Red Ridge (Porifera) NOT YET

ANEMONE (Bubble Tip) NOT YET

CORAL:

Zoanthid Polyp GOTTEN

Birdsnest Seriatopora (MUST HAVE) NOT YET

Ricordeas Mushroom GOT ONE

Joket Palythoa NOT YET

Alveopora (MUST HAVE) NOT YET

Hammer (Euphylia) GOT 1

Open Brain (suggestions please?) NOT YET

Palythoa (suggestions please?) NOT YET

Torch Coral GOT 1

CLAM:

Derasa or Maxima (MUST HAVE) NOT YET

We appreciate any help you can provide.

PS . We are not lazy and we love to learn, we don't expect hand-me-downs of info or any type of give-aways. We don't want the easy way out. We are here to stay and make a beautiful ecosystem.

It is difficult to be new to this since there is so much mixed information out there. I have found that Forums are the best way to go, and since I am building a NANO, this community seemed ideal.

Thank you in advance!

Happy reefing!

AniZaTo

sounds good!

When you say you are not going to use additives but you are going to use additive generally you shouldn't use chemicals such as hair algae remover but you should depend on your filtration and your beneficial bacteria to transfer ammonia to nitrite to nitrate so you can do water changes! Just a heads up!

MirandaCaine

Was wondering what was going on! I was worried something might be amiss when you didn't post for a while. Sorry to hear you lost so many critters! :( ... I think you should go for the emerald crab! I hear they are unparalleled algea eaters, but need to be feed on occasion if there's not enough algea they can turn predatory... I'm pretty sure I read you were cycling a 50g, that was a fast upgrade lol :), someone is probably going to call the tang police on me, but I think you could pull off a baby blue, or yellow in a 50. Generally I've seen tangs are for 90+ gallons, but I remember reading (from mr.saltwater tank i think) that one small tang is acceptable in 55... As far a bullying, I have no clue, but I would think if you transfered everything and added your tang at the same time everything would be cool (just my hypothesis, but if I were u I'd go for it) again sorry to hear about the overheat! Keep us posted :)

• Like 1
Jeradmccarty

IMO by far the best hair algae eaters are urchins, I have had the best success with my short spined purple reef urchin and he can sniff out hair algae like crack, he doesn't get much hair algae because I don't really have much but it does pop up every once in a while but when it does he go's mackin! Emerald crabs will work too but they need to be quite large or a bunch of small ones in order to really keep it in control. Your probably getting hair because your going through the uglys still and that will dissipate with time and good husbandry. Just get yourself one or two of these urchins and watch them mow it down literally before your eyes, you will end up coveting them as the best part of your clean up crew and then you will despise them for rearranging frags in your tank that aren't glued down hahahaha.

• Like 1