Cultivated Reef

First Reef Aquarium 10 gallon

anizato

Man, it's looking good in there!

Thanks bro, you helped a lot! :bowdown:

-----0-----

Does anyone know what do do about the brown stuff on the sand and the mossy algae?

I already did a 50% WC yesterday and took my Nitrates down to 0. Added ChemiPureElite, PolyFilter & a bag of Purigen into the AC30.

I tried syphoning the sand, but I ended up sucking in some hidden snails and decided against it.

Will it just die on its own?

Will my coral and fish be OK with only 2-4 hours of light for a couple of weeks?

What should I do properly?

I also have some more 10 Cerith and 2 Nassarius coming in next week to help out. Days after that I will be adding my RBTA (in hopes that my 2 clown will host it), a Ricordea and an Acro.

Thanks for any help guys.

gulfsurfer101

The brown stuff on your sand looks like and most likely is diatomes. If your experiencing them then your tank is still way too young for any type of clown hosting nems. The first six months to a year, your tank will go through several stages that will most likely be the demise of the nem and in a tank that small a dead or dying nem could be the end of the entire tank. I know it's hard, but just take your time. When your tank is ready, I'll most likely have splits from my purple rain and acid rain bubble tip anemones I could practically give away at shipping. Rbta's were the bee's like 5yrs ago anyways. Now they're in every tank across the nation. Stand alone and be different man.

• Like 2

acid rain bubble tip? man, you open my mind with this stuff with every post you make!

I will, as usual heed to your advice.

Do please let me know when they start splitting, I would definitely like to have one of them Acid Rains... Looks amazing!

So as for the diatoms and green moss, should I just wait it out and allow it to grow and die off? Since yesterday I cut off about 7 hours of light. Is that gonna make a difference? Is there anything else I could do?

Jeradmccarty

The brown stuff on your sand looks like and most likely is diatomes. If your experiencing them then your tank is still way too young for any type of clown hosting nems. The first six months to a year, your tank will go through several stages that will most likely be the demise of the nem and in a tank that small a dead or dying nem could be the end of the entire tank. I know it's hard, but just take your time. When your tank is ready, I'll most likely have splits from my purple rain and acid rain bubble tip anemones I could practically give away at shipping. Rbta's were the bee's like 5yrs ago anyways. Now they're in every tank across the nation. Stand alone and be different man.

Yeah man I would love to buy an acid rain bta off of you, I have two bta's right now a generic green and a tri color orange yellow and green, my green is getting kinda old and I'm not sure how much longer it's gonna hold on, I got it when I first started this hobby but my old maroon clowns really had there way with it. If you wouldn't mind selling one I have always wanted that type of bta but there hard to find

Jeradmccarty
I have two purple's and one large acid but they are hosts to my Darwin/snow onyx pair along with one neon green bubble. Whenever they do split though, I'll most likely offer them up here.

20140418_141224_zpsfnuvxag8.jpg

Awesome just keep my screen name and hit me up when they split, how much would you be letting them go for?

Hey guys!

I JUST saw this little NUDI in my tank. Any ideas what it is? Should I take it out? WTF? it is a beautiful little animal, but don't know what to do ? This is its first appearance

What is this little fella?
He is beautiful!! Purple and wavy, looks like a tiny BTA.

post-83895-0-06678600-1398979462_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Jeradmccarty

Hey guys!

I JUST saw this little NUDI in my tank. Any ideas what it is? Should I take it out? WTF? it is a beautiful little animal, but don't know what to do ? This is its first appearance

It's probably came in as a hitchhiker, maybe you can turn off your blue lights so you can get a better picture so we might be able to identify it better, if it is a nudi then it probably has no food and will most likely perish, most all nudibranchs are specific eaters which means they only have one thing that they eat and will quickly die if that specific food is not present, but still turn your blues off and give us a better pic so we might be able to tell you what type it is

Also the video link is broken so the video can't be viewed

Jeradmccarty
Hey guys!

Well I got the video to work, it looks like he's munching on some hair algae, it could possibly be an herbivore nudi that eats bryopsis or hair algae which in that case will survive if you have a sufficient amount because they can eat it pretty fast, very beautiful little thing, I would love to have one of those

• Like 1
Jeradmccarty

Well I think you got lucky, it has to be a herbivore nudi if it's grazing on the glass and grazing on hair algae which I though that I saw in one of the videos, just make sure that you always leave a little Algae on the glass like on the back or sides so he has a snack and to leave hair algae on some of the live rock so he has food and he should live for quite some time, very beautiful little creature, very very neat. Enjoy

MirandaCaine

Love your scape! So glad I found this thread! I'm almost ready to start up my 10g (first stab at saltwater) and will definitely be referencing this, so thanks for all the detailed updates. Can't wait to see what you post next... That nudi is bad ass looking, hope he sticks around!

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

Check out the latest additions.

Turns out I have a friend that breeds exotic Clownfish and he gave me a Rainbow Tip Anemone after he came over and saw my tank. :bowdown:

I added a couple of Ricordeas (my favorite being the yellow one - "Alice in Wonderland") a Green Brain Coral and some Acros to go on the top, the guy I bought these gave me a Japanese Zoa and an Acan for FREE!

I also added more snails, because they turned out to be YUMMY to my Pistol Shrimp LOL :owned: ...and I want Randy to be happy!

There has also been another NUDI Sighting.

..and I found another hitchhiker. It is a crab, but I don't know if it is a Mithrax :ninja: ??

• Like 3

Question? Aren't you putting to many stuff in the tank at once, should you add little by little.. Anemone shouldn't be added after a couple of months when the tank is mature? Jus asking cause I started my tank a month after you. And I wanna buy more stuff but a lot of people tells me to go little by little!!

• Like 1

Water changes! Water Changes! Water Changes! :lockdown:

I have a bucket of Red Sea Coral Salt and I am almost half way down. I am doing water changes almost everyday from when I am vacuuming the substrate and the rock all the time, etc. :lockdown:

Plus 25% WC every Week. :lockdown:

About an ounce of Dr. Tim's was added after the Anemone was inserted.

If "Rose" shows signs of struggle she will always be welcome back from where she came.

I run Poly Filter, Chemi Elite Pure & Purigen.

• Like 1
MirandaCaine

Wish that vid of the anemone was longer! Super cool! Was curious about your lighting... Do you only have 1 par 38? How far above the water do you have it? Do you get a good spread with it? Any dark spots? You should totally post a full tank shot that shows your full set up with the lights and everything :D

• Like 1

FULL MONTY!

Two pics showing the optic angle of the LED inside the Display. You can see there are many dark spots, which is why I am upgrading to a serious LED (more on that later).

...and a pic of Rose and the Sexys!

post-83895-0-57646400-1399665264_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wish that vid of the anemone was longer! Super cool! Was curious about your lighting... Do you only have 1 par 38? How far above the water do you have it? Do you get a good spread with it? Any dark spots? You should totally post a full tank shot that shows your full set up with the lights and everything :D

Rose is so damn beautiful! :wub: I will have to make a longer vid sometime, I promise. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am running only one PAR38 LED, but with the dark spots because of the 40* angle, I am already shopping for something better, so if you have any suggestions.

I think I would only use these PAR38 bulbs in a tank big enough to house a 'spotlight area' for SPS or something similar.

Water changes! Water Changes! Water Changes! :lockdown:

I have a bucket of Red Sea Coral Salt and I am almost half way down. I am doing water changes almost everyday from when I am vacuuming the substrate and the rock all the time, etc. :lockdown:

Plus 25% WC every Week. :lockdown:

About an ounce of Dr. Tim's was added after the Anemone was inserted.

If "Rose" shows signs of struggle she will always be welcome back from where she came.

I run Poly Filter, Chemi Elite Pure & Purigen.

im just doing 30% WC every week and vacuuming.. i guess im gonna go all crazy buying a lot of corals, fishes, anemone this weekend and do more water changes... thanks for letting me know.. whats your test results? i have everything at 0 only amonia at 0.3 and salinity 1.025

btw any problems with algae ??

MirandaCaine

Rose is so damn beautiful! :wub: I will have to make a longer vid sometime, I promise. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am running only one PAR38 LED, but with the dark spots because of the 40* angle, I am already shopping for something better, so if you have any suggestions.

I think I would only use these PAR38 bulbs in a tank big enough to house a 'spotlight area' for SPS or something similar.

She really is geourgous! Ill be waiting for a new vid... If you can budget it in, Kessil probably would be the way to go... My hubby would freak if I bought one so I was thinking about the current marine orbit it only gives 50-70 PAR at around 12 in.(nowhere near strong enough for your Rose) But I think I would be willing to forgo the highlight Stuff just for the cool storm and cloud features... And considering this is prob. Going to be 1 of many Reef tanks and the smallest of them I'd like to start with some easier to keep stuff... And then I found this, and yes it's foreign so don't freak out on me lol, but it's got a 2 year warranty and pretty decent reviews and the price is something to drool over!

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics®-TT-AL09-Dimmable-Aquarium-Seaweed/dp/B0092LXQRM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1399688117&sr=1-1&keywords=Taotronics+reef+light