Coral Vue Hydros

5G Custom Pico

Miguel Burguete

Miguel Burguete
Some things changed over here. New rock and more Zoas!

I´m thinking about to buy a:

tmc 1500 ultima np + controller for $250 and for it I would change all these live stock for a new cube. Opinions acepted!

Phone photo, I will try to take new fts with the camera.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks wonderful!

Some things changed over here. New rock and more Zoas!
I´m thinking about to buy a:
tmc 1500 ultima np + controller for $250 and for it I would change all these live stock for a new cube. Opinions acepted!

I think you should keep everything the way it is. Don't change this setup so soon

Miguel Burguete

Looks wonderful!

I think you should keep everything the way it is. Don't change this setup so soon

Thanks!

Maybe you r right but I always wanted to have a small controllable LED fixture.. Dont really know why because it would be rar3e the moments that I would really watch the sunrise and shine..

Also like the look of having a fixture much smaller than the tank just like you do.

It could be also a strategy to keep things just like they are and when the corals grow to much for these tank, make the change for a cube!

Miguel Burguete

I second the "don't change anything" !!! This is too awesome to change. KEEEEEEP IT !!!!

Thanks!!

Spiderguardnano

This whole build reminds me of a mini tron cadlights build lol

i say keep it don't switch it to the cube. This tank would look insane when everything is settles and is grown in

Miguel Burguete

This whole build reminds me of a mini tron cadlights build lol

i say keep it don't switch it to the cube. This tank would look insane when everything is settles and is grown in

Great compliment for me! Trons tanks are great!

Thank you!

So clean...

I suppose it is good! Thanks!

Have to say your tanks are inspirations for me!

I always loved the AIO even the custom made picos that I used to have:

IMG_8852.jpg
and:

IMG_8621.jpg
Miguel Burguete

Few days more than 3 months:

Still undecided about the best light for this tank. Not I am back to T5 only. (The TMC light was bit to much of white.)
Circulation maybe short and I´m starting to search for the best alternative. (I want something small! And I'm not ready to invest on a Vortech.
Finally got my Alk to acceptable values. Both Calcium and Mag are ok. I found that I was overreacting and focused on parameters and it is not the most important point of a nano like mine.
I´m also researching for a one fish only and I'm thinking about a Centropyge acanthops.
Also want a few crabs and shrimps. It will take time to add everything I want to.
Miguel Burguete

Hi Miguel - your tanks looks great, could you tell Ronaldo to hold off crossing the ball next time?

Thanks mate! I must confess that i lost his number recently so cant do that!! He is our saviour!

I'd go all t5's if I was you,IMO. And as for flow,get a bigger return pump like a maxijet 900 or something along though lines,you should be able to take the pump out of the display if you went that route or even get the 1200 which is 296gph.

As for the fish,I wouldn't do it. Maybe if it was under or aroud a inch but that fish will need a 50+ gallon tank once it is a little more mature. Look into a goby and pistol shrimp combo,or some smaller fish.

Miguel Burguete

I'd go all t5's if I was you,IMO. And as for flow,get a bigger return pump like a maxijet 900 or something along though lines,you should be able to take the pump out of the display if you went that route or even get the 1200 which is 296gph.

As for the fish,I wouldn't do it. Maybe if it was under or aroud a inch but that fish will need a 50+ gallon tank once it is a little more mature. Look into a goby and pistol shrimp combo,or some smaller fish.

Thanks!

You have a great example of a single fish from tank of the month here in NR. And is one Centropyge in a five gallon reef. Of course I would buy it very little and give it away when he grew.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

What kind of coral are you focusing on keeping?

My tank is:

23.6 in Long

9.8 in Large

7.9 in High

For now I´m mainly focused on Zoanthus and few Lps like Acans. Why do you ask?

My problem is that I always want to change the tank. But for now I targeted at least more 9 months for these tank before turn it in a bigger one. I must have to reach one year old. And if I want to change things it will be in these setup. Maybe return pump, circulation on even lights.

I now understand that mature tanks are gorgeous and also a challenge to get there and that is what I want to do this time.

SouthFlorida_Tron

My tank is:

23.6 in Long

9.8 in Large

7.9 in High

For now I´m mainly focused on Zoanthus and few Lps like Acans. Why do you ask?

My problem is that I always want to change the tank. But for now I targeted at least more 9 months for these tank before turn it in a bigger one. I must have to reach one year old. And if I want to change things it will be in these setup. Maybe return pump, circulation on even lights.

I now understand that mature tanks are gorgeous and also a challenge to get there and that is what I want to do this time.

The reason I asked about the size of your tank was to offer any assistance in maybe narrowing down your list... What kind of T5 are you currently running?

As far as the problem changing tanks, are you referring to perhaps boredom and always wanting to get new shapes, sizes and design? You through me off with talking about bigger one, than talking about how you will just change the return etc... but keep the same tank?

As for your last statement, with the mature comment you mean not change the tank every 6 months so you can go from this to this (example)....

https://flic.kr/p/aKKNGZ'>6402367177_9923f3d9c2_n.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/aKKNGZ'>The New Glass by https://www.flickr.com/people//'>J.L Photography, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/eJfst2'>9010751415_975fcb499c_n.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/eJfst2'>A relaxing view... by https://www.flickr.com/people//'>J.L Photography, on Flickr

I posted them smaller to avoid jacking the thread, just as a reference, click on them to enlarge if you want... You'll notice the same tank, but the lights changed, skimmer changed, moved the location of the mp10, but as some corals came and gone, you'll notice the colonies down the road are some of the originally located pieces... in other words, i didn't tamper with the actual eco system much... just the mechanical parts...

Make sense?

Miguel Burguete

Totaly sense.

I knew those photos since i have been following your tanks.

About changing tanks it is just ideas. I'm always thinking about it.

As i mentioned before your tanks inspired this one.

Im using two ATI bulbs, coral+ and blue+.

Thanks for your help. But i am a bit lost with a few words of you! Do you have any sugestion for this tank both about livestock and hardware?

There was a guy who had a Coral Beauty in a 5 gallon and it was happy for about a year,then he either moved it to a larger system or got rid of it,I can't remember. Personally I just don't see the point in getting a fish you'll eventually get rid of due to it's size.

I'd hate to see this tank go if you ever upgrade. With it's dimensions it has so much potential,it's a great size for what it is. I think if you got 2 24" fixtures you'd have a little control over the lights and still be able to go 4 bulbs and just experiment with different bulb combo's. Like 2 ATI Blue+,Coral+ and a AquaBlue Special I believe it's called would be a good combo.

Miguel Burguete

There was a guy who had a Coral Beauty in a 5 gallon and it was happy for about a year,then he either moved it to a larger system or got rid of it,I can't remember. Personally I just don't see the point in getting a fish you'll eventually get rid of due to it's size.

You are right about the fish. We want bigger fish we need bigger tanks. Thats true.

Miguel Burguete

The reason I asked about the size of your tank was to offer any assistance in maybe narrowing down your list... What kind of T5 are you currently running?

As far as the problem changing tanks, are you referring to perhaps boredom and always wanting to get new shapes, sizes and design? You through me off with talking about bigger one, than talking about how you will just change the return etc... but keep the same tank?

My writing was not the best:

I was saying that I am always thinking about new tanks and scapes, just because I am passionate about the hobby. It some times makes me less focused in the actual one. Even when I get the right hardware and good livestock as planned I feel like changing something would be best.

I started with pico and nano reefs, and fast became a lover of thoses sizes.

For now I am learning with experience and turning everything simpler each time I setup a new tank.

When I say maturity I mean keep the tank for a while. To observe grow of corals and that mature look of yours above.

Honestly,do the same thing. I'd love a bigger tank,so I know the feeling. I'm always looking at tanks,equipment and all that good stuff. I think if a time comes when you move houses or have enough money to set up a bigger tank,is the time to do it.

I may be moving in a few months,and I think that's when I will upgrade to a bigger tank. By then my tank will be only 6 months old. I haven't decided yet. But it's a decision I have to make lol.

What other equipment are you looking to get or upgrade ? We are all helpful here :)

Miguel Burguete
Well, you mentioned that you use two Ati bulbs... What kind of fixture??

It is a DIY fixture.

SouthFlorida_Tron

So... two things I could suggest... if its within your power, you could double the bulbs, and do 2 Coral+ and 2 Blue+. excellent choice, can't go wrong. You could maybe do some kind of retrofit with two sets of LED strips on each side of those bulbs you mentioned, in or outside the fixture... Perhaps Reefbrite LEDs or TrueLumen Pro strips...

Just a thought!?

+1 on what Tron said,and it would be a effin' par MONSTER.

Too bad you're outta the country,I know the price you pay,plus shipping and taxes it's gonna be OUTRAGEOUS !!! But like me and Tron both said,get 2 more retrofit bulbs and maybe a DIY kit for leds down the middle between the inner 2 bulbs would work. With no optics on them,the stock 120* would have enough coverage to light your tank from back to front no problem,even at about 12" from the water. With some royal blues,warm & neutral whites and some uv's that'd be a KILLLLLLER retro light ;)

Archived