SaltCritters.com

Custom NUVO 20 Fusion: New Stand

xiaoxiy

YOBROS! I found out that I'm going home for the July 4th weekend. 90% sure that this means I can clean up my tank, finishing painting my stand door, and get a new video up too.

Awww yea.

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds good man. really miss seeing this tank!

Me too.

Also should I place this order? So tempted to, but I'm not sure whether I'll have enough room in this tank.

14311991349_3fc7d12dbc_s.jpg

14311944100_d8594722d5_s.jpg

EDIT: You're going to have to click on the images. I can't figure out how to get flickr images to show up. fml

You have plenty of room. More coral then water is the way to go. IMO

Damn you JR.

I went and ordered:

Demon Eyes (1), PZ Prometheans (mini colony), LC LSDs (1), LC Cotton Candy Massacre (2), Strawberry Daiquiris (1), LC Blue Diamonds (1), LC Blue Dreams Acan (2), Solid Golds (2), Tyree Rastas (3), Sunny Ds (4), Tyree Oranges (2) and a Bubblegum Acan (1).

Getting the Pink Princesses as a freebie.

:naughtydance:

I finally made the trip to the local walk-in hours at premium aquatics and had a blast looking at all of the frag/coral selections!

In one of their display tanks, they had a hammer coral that was larger than the size of a grapefruit :wub: . Thank god my debit card is out of commission until Monday, or I probably would have walked out with a new tank & co. I might have to grab a few frags before I go back to Iowa.

On a side note, I'm thinking about setting up something similar to Jake Adam's EcoReef Zero in my hotel room & for my college desk. I'm planning on using:

• TruAqua Starphire Cube (2 or 4 Gallon)
  • Eheim Skim 350 (For carbon and mechanical filtration + flow)
  • My unused Cadlight LED Pad
  • An unused VisAqua heater

And stocking a scoly or something of the sort. Does anyone have any experience with something of this sort?

Shit shit shit shit shit. Just purchased a TruAqua 2 Gallon Cube.

I can't even....

The addiction is real.

EDIT: Just purchased the Eheim Skim 350 too...

EDIT #2:

A friend and I just came up with a custom designed light fixture for this tank, inspired by the ADA solar mini and the the Martinelli Luce Bandero Lamp

AquariumFixturePrototype_zpsd285a75a.jpg

The addiction is too real. It's almost 1AM in the morning, and I'm trying to figure out how to fabricate a light fixture out of aluminum/steel, and how I can change to design to have either Dave retrofit it with a nanobox/ use the 13UP boards for this fixture.

LOL. So I returned/canceled the tank and eheim skim 350 order. I realized that I could just wait a month and set up a EcoReef zero with left over equipment sitting at home.

On a side note, only 3 more days until I get home, which also means only 3 more days until you guys get a video update of my tank! :haha:

Hopefully everything's still alive & the tank isn't a mess.

My tank was a mess when I got home on Thursday night. The ATO had reset itself, so it wasn't topping off my tank: my salinity read at 1.028. Upon further inspection, all of my corals were expelling mucus: not a good sign. Moreover, the glass and equipment in my tank were completely covered in diatoms.

I immediately went into emergency control mode. I manually topped off my water to the right salinity and reset my ATO. Then I prepped 5 gallons of new salt water, and began to scrape off all the diatoms off of my glass. After cleaning up the tank and inspecting the damage, I decided to call it a night.

• Tank was covered in Diatoms.
  • Salt creep everywhere.
  • Salinity was way high.
  • 2 of my Acans were Bleached.
  • A few heads of zoas were dead.
  • All my surviving corals looked pissed.

Waking up early the next morning, I began to perform some long overdue tank maintenance. After vacuuming my sand bed, and doing a 50% water change, I removed all the equipment from my tank and cleaned it all. The lily pipes, while coated with a thick layer of disgusting diatoms and cyano, cleaned off pretty well. I also rinsed all my filter media in new saltwater. Finally, I went through and re-set-up my aquascape and glued loose corals back into place.

This was the end result, filmed earlier this morning:

I'm surprised at how fast my tank cleaned up; in 2 days, it went from total disaster to freaking awesome again.

Now, onto more good news. Darwin (from LC), took a picture of the order I'm expecting in August. Needless to say, the corals look fantastic. I can't wait to drop them into my tank.

14551998266_dbba471dd1_b.jpg

14575081545_42cbe9ac38_b.jpg

I'm so excited for that LC order to come in! I'll be honest, your Z's and P's tank is the reason I bit the bullet and opted to buy higher zoas from LC. LOL

Dunno how I missed this tank. That LC order is bomb diggity. Nice choices!

Thanks!

Tank looks awesome!

Looking great. Shoot me a few photos of the set up.

david@nanoboxreef.com

-Dave

:( I has no photos Dave. Only video.

Hey guys,

I need your advice on something.

I'm thinking about swapping out my Eheim 2211 with an Eheim 2215 in hopes that with a Eheim 2215 I'll be able to remove the MP10 from my tank. Furthermore, once I'm taking care of my tank again, I'm also debating whether I should also remove my ATO. Tempted to do this to make the tank look even cleaner.

Do you guys feel that my ATO and MP10 are a visual distraction in my tank?

-Xiaoxi

just watched your last vid. Man that tank looks great in that room. Everything is so clean-cut.

Thanks! We just redid the flooring: laid tile throughout the entire house.

they look just fine. all the tank needs is more corals. stand looks fantastic btw

:D Thanks JR (ALSO YOU'RE ALIVE! LOL). That stand was a pain to make; reminder to self and anyone who wants to make a glossy stand, be prepared to do a lot of sanding and paint coats if you use wood with large grains.

Hey guys,

I need your advice on something.

I'm thinking about swapping out my Eheim 2211 with an Eheim 2215 in hopes that with a Eheim 2215 I'll be able to remove the MP10 from my tank. Furthermore, once I'm taking care of my tank again, I'm also debating whether I should also remove my ATO. Tempted to do this to make the tank look even cleaner.

Do you guys feel that my ATO and MP10 are a visual distraction in my tank?

-Xiaoxi

can't comment on the Eheims as i've never used them, but i wouldn't get rid of the ATO. The convenience of not having to top off by yourself cannot be matched by a slight aesthetic 'upgrade'

We need some picture updates mannnn !!!

I saw you were going to get a TruAqua tank,have you gotten it ? And if so,how do you like the build quality. I absolutely LOVE the 2 gallon I got. Superior quality I think.

We need some picture updates mannnn !!!

I saw you were going to get a TruAqua tank,have you gotten it ? And if so,how do you like the build quality. I absolutely LOVE the 2 gallon I got. Superior quality I think.

I need some picture updates myself; unfortunately I'm back at the Hotel, 500 miles away from home.

While those TruAqua tanks look fantastic, I ended up not getting one. I decided that setting up a second tank would be too expensive and time consuming, so I'm just gonna stick with this one for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived