Pod Your Reef

Custom NUVO 20 Fusion: New Stand

xiaoxiy

I feel like it would be hard to position the frogspawn skeletons and the long polyps might look odd. scans would look banging too!

That was my concern too; especially in a 12'' cube. In the case of a larger tank, I could just get huge colonies of frogspawn to mitigate the weird frogspawn skeletons & long polyps, and the sense of scale also shifts.

I think I might just let this fluval edge grow out, and make on half of the arch euphyllia-dominant.

Now what the hell to do with a 12'' rimless starphire cube. LOL

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

That was my concern too; especially in a 12'' cube. In the case of a larger tank, I could just get huge colonies of frogspawn to mitigate the weird frogspawn skeletons & long polyps, and the sense of scale also shifts.

I think I might just let this fluval edge grow out, and make on half of the arch euphyllia-dominant.

Now what the hell to do with a 12'' rimless starphire cube. LOL

SPS POWERHOUSE!!!!!! Would be killer inside that rimless cube! Buy some killer frags and grow that beotch! lol

SPS POWERHOUSE!!!!!! Would be killer inside that rimless cube! Buy some killer frags and grow that beotch! lol

Hah. I'm going off to med-school. Ain't no way I'm gonna have time to run 2 tanks.

Not to mention, all that student debt: #loans4corals

You will have a banging tank with all them doctor dollars! :D

Xia be all like,"Psssssssss 5,000.00 frag....no problem!" :lol:

After 4 years of schooling, 4-7 years of residency, 1-3 years of fellowship & paying 300k+ of student debt, you bet I'm going to splurge like crazy on a tank.

I plan on getting myself a niice ol' 500 gallon tank.

EDIT:

AND IT'S GONNA BE A 500 GALLON BONSAI SCAPE.

Love that frogspawn, looks even better with a proper picture taking machine like yours.

It's still sooo small! (slightly larger than a golf ball).

Your freaking euphyllia are drool worthy dude. If I had a colony that big *droools*.

Don't worry man, they get big FAST. It took mine(frogspawn) about a year to go from 2 heads to about 7 now. If your tank conditions are good, which yours seem to be... they'll grow like weeds.

Don't worry man, they get big FAST. It took mine(frogspawn) about a year to go from 2 heads to about 7 now. If your tank conditions are good, which yours seem to be... they'll grow like weeds.

A year...

I come from the planted tank world, with high light and CO2 injection and invasive-species-like aquatic plants. A year is like eternity......... ;_;.

On the bright side, a year = my frogspawn probably won't end up nuking any of my other corals anytime soon,

That GSP on the other hand...

That's why you gotta keep busy buying more corals and the rest. By the time you get a chance to observe your older corals it's like BAM!

My ocellaris thinks that he's a shark. He swims with his fin out of the water and patrols the surface of the tank.

While he may think it's fun to do so, my nerves are on edge watching him swim. One little mishap, and he'll fly right out of the tank, making jumper #3.

:/

what sand you have?

Dude, I'm not even sure.

The bag at Petco was just labeled as CaribSea "argonite". I suspect it might be special grade.

Does he eat from your hands a lot of clowns are... Clowns

Unfortunately not yet. He's still terrified of me. I walk up to the tank, he goes into the corner with the powerhead.

My ocellaris thinks that he's a shark. He swims with his fin out of the water and patrols the surface of the tank.

While he may think it's fun to do so, my nerves are on edge watching him swim. One little mishap, and he'll fly right out of the tank, making jumper #3.

:/

That is so funny, my female maroon does the same thing when she is irritated with me. Except she really is hunting me like a shark and bites if I put my hand in the water while she is doing this.

Sorry for the lack of updates, we're redoing the flooring of our entire house and getting tile put in.

On the reef topic: One of my acans receded down to its skeleton, and I couldn't figure out why. Tested my alk: 6dKH. Well, there lies the problem. Mixing up a new batch of saltwater for a WC right now.

• 5 weeks later...

I really apologize for the lack of updates. We just finished remodeling our house. There have been a few changes made to the tank:

1) Rescaped a bit and placed acans on sand. They were dying (whether it was because of the chemicals floating around my house from remodeling, or if it was the flow), but have begun to rebound.

2) Grabbed a YCG for the tank. He's a real shy bugger, but is getting more adventurous by the day.

Unfortunately, I still won't be able to get video updates up as I shipped out to Indianapolis for an internship and my tank is at home. I hope that I left my parents with enough details to keep the tank running for the next 3 months.

On the bright side, now that I'm in Indianapolis, I have physical access to Premium Aquatics, and maybe even SaltCritters! Aww yea.

Sad about the acans. It was likely a combo of water parameters and chemicals. Any aromatic chemical (you can smell it) will readily diffuse into your saltwater. This is often underestimated in aquariums and these chemicals, while foul to us, are deadly to reef inhabitants.

• 1 month later...

how's everything with this tank?

^^

I'm living at a hotel this summer, and the only way I can get updates about the tank is from my parents.

Before I left, I built a custom-glossy-white ADA-like stand for the tank.

From what it sounds like, the tank is stable so far; aka nothing catastrophic has happened. While nothing absurdly bad has happened, my parents say that my tank has a lot of brown algae on the glass, but the sand/rocks are apparently still algae free. Thank goodness my dad is doing a weekly water change on the system.

Unfortunately, the clownfish in the tank has jumped. I don't think I'm getting another clownfish; I've had 4 jumpers so far... On the bright side, the YCG hasn't jumped yet, but is apparently still super shy.

I'm hoping to get pictures/video up when I get done with this internship in August. Hopefully the tank will still be up and running when I get home. Worst comes to worst (aka everything dies), I'll just have to restart the tank when I get back home.

I JUST SAW MY TANK OVER SKYPE. EVERYTHING IS STILL ALIVE! YESSSSS.

Furthermore, looks like the frogspawn has split into two heads. Awwwww yea.

Archived