Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Custom NUVO 20 Fusion: New Stand

xiaoxiy

go fill out your wishlist secret santa. deadline is tomorrow.

what's ur plan for the freshwater tank??

I just did!

I'm going to do something low maintenance like this:

A full planted tank would be too expensive right now, and I already have my hands full with my reef.

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's nice! my dad has like 15 freshwater tanks at his place and they look like ass compared to yours...hahah. i need to show him this so he gets his act together. he's into cichlids and those glow in the dark fish

Cichlids are so awesome.

The ZFN-modified glo-fish are freaking nerdily cool. I use to work in a biotech company that was using ZFN technologies on agricultural crops. My parents work with ZFN, TALENs and CRISPR gene mod tools too.

ADG has some of my favorite hardscape only tanks

Can't wait to see fish in the FW tank! I really like those hardscape ideas. But man, I can't help wondering how long they really last before it becomes an endless exercise in algae scrubbing.

I can testify from experience that there isn't enough purigen/carbon/phosguard/excel in the world to keep an FW tank algae free for too long. I guess maybe if the light is really low or only on for a short photoperiod...so I'm cheering for you and hoping I can copy your success!

nice! he has discus too.

he was telling me how ZFN owns the gene for the glo fish and they even made it so the females even reproduce. so smart.

I think a Taiwan company owns the "genes".

Can't wait to see fish in the FW tank! I really like those hardscape ideas. But man, I can't help wondering how long they really last before it becomes an endless exercise in algae scrubbing.

I can testify from experience that there isn't enough purigen/carbon/phosguard/excel in the world to keep an FW tank algae free for too long. I guess maybe if the light is really low or only on for a short photoperiod...so I'm cheering for you and hoping I can copy your success!

DON'T SAY THAT. :furious:

You run the lights much lower. Making nearly no algae.

-D

God. One of the frags I made from the colony seems to be coloring up much better than any of the of the other frags. I have no idea why either.

23020449361_476ddb494f_b.jpgimage by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

Picture was taken under quite white conditions. (100% Blues and 100% Whites on Nanobox). Probably a 10-11k spectrum.

Who knew. Feeding New Life Spectrum Pellets causes my nitrates to drop.

My nitrates had been holding steady at 8ppm (<0.02ppm phosphates) for the past 2 weeks. For the shits and giggles (and because my nutrient levels were holding steady), I decided to replace every other Mysis feeding (1/4th cube) with 2 scoops (BRS reef chilli scoop) of NLS Pellets. I'm down nitrate levels that are between 2-5.

On a side note, for the past 3 days, I have also increased my Red Sea Reef Energy Dosage to the "SPS Color" Dosage recommendations. For my tank, total volume of 15 gallons, I dose 2.4mL Part A and 2.4mL Part B.

I think it's mindblowing how much I'm feeding my tank while still managing to run quite low phosphate (<0.02, more close to 0 than 0.02) and nitrate (2-5ppm).

After a full freaking year of tinkering and mishapes, I think I've finally gotten this tank in order.

The color in the tank is fantastic. SPS are encrusting and coloring up. Acans are sprouting new heads. Some zoas are also growing, while others are just sitting happily and not growing (which makes me unhappy).

22761402899_d378c86ea0_z.jpgimage by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

22833545420_8f1c32bb68_z.jpgimage by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

22875558549_a1a965bb38_z.jpgimage by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

And Freshwater

22616423023_7d5ebd7eaf_z.jpgimage by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I stop in on your thread,it just looks more and more amazing. I'm glad you got the sps issue figured out. How're the new frags doing btw ?

Some nice ferns and some RCS or Panda Shrimp would look amazing in that tank. I think if you do run co2,1-2 bubbles a second and with fairly low lighting algae wouldn't be a issue whatsoever.

Looks great! Everything looks so happy ;)

Thanks Teeny!

####### love this tank. would like some sump video too

Thanks JR! Funny you mention the sump. I've been toying with a new sump/stand redesign idea that I might end up rendering and posting in this thread, to see what people think. I've realized how "tied" down to my place I am by my aquarium, and am working on designing a sump/automated setup that will automatic daily 3/4 gallon water changes for me during the week, will automatically divert flow from my skimmer/reactor media during amino acid dosing/feeding, and that will contain a refugium for frags.

Every time I stop in on your thread,it just looks more and more amazing. I'm glad you got the sps issue figured out. How're the new frags doing btw ?

Some nice ferns and some RCS or Panda Shrimp would look amazing in that tank. I think if you do run co2,1-2 bubbles a second and with fairly low lighting algae wouldn't be a issue whatsoever.

Thanks Reefkid, the new frags are encrusting out. Whew; sps issue is over with, for now.

Also, that's a great idea! I'm not sure I want to invest in CO2 yet (I have some other reef-plans I want to use the $$ for).

Ahaha. So I've been dealing with a bryopsis issue for the past 2 weeks, and have been manually pulling it, only for it to come back more vigorously 3 days later. I almost ended up buying a bucket of Tech M and dosing it, but read that Mexican Turbo snails might eat bryopsis.

I bought one today from the LFS, and stuck him on a patch of bryopsis. Much to my delight, he started eating it! YES!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived