SaltCritters.com

Custom NUVO 20 Fusion: New Stand

xiaoxiy

I think your tank is still nice. Just stick with good maintenance and eventually the cyano will recede. I have a little in my seahorse tank but I am not gonna sweat it.

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never had problems with cyano and biopellets or any form of carbon dosing.

That being said... I would agree it would feed cyano.

My guess is it comes down to what other microbes are in the water and other things cyano wants/needs to grow. So some people get problems and others don't as each tanks water chemistry is different.

hmmm...i was looking into running Seachem Matrix Bio Media...guess I need to do more research

If it's because of the biopellet cyano fiasco, Seachem Matrix Biomedia is different than biopellets. I've been running the matrix biomedia for about 6 months without issue now.

I'm using TLF NP biopellets.

I have never had problems with cyano and biopellets or any form of carbon dosing.

That being said... I would agree it would feed cyano.

My guess is it comes down to what other microbes are in the water and other things cyano wants/needs to grow. So some people get problems and others don't as each tanks water chemistry is different.

I've been wondering if its because I don't have an extremely diverse microbe population to outcompete the cyano for carbon. I started dosing Dr. Tim's waste away last week in order to increase my microbe diversity.

I looked heavily into running biopellets at one point in time, the more I researched the more I found that they are often more a problem then a help. You have to be very careful, overdosing and a few other things can cause problems. My conclusion was they were to much trouble to be worth it. They could be causing your issues, but I haven't heard of them causing cyano in all the research I did. Although, people saw a vast and wide span of random issues from using them.

Agreed. I get the concept that you're adding elemental carbon to grow your waterborne bacterial population (since it's likely going to be most limited by carbon) in hopes that it goes after inorganic phosphate. This population then (hopefully) has first access to all the inorganic p in the system (via decomposition/natural processes) and then are removed by the skimmer.

My issue with it is that it's not really doing much in terms of nutrient export. Nitrogen and phosphorus must be already be in the water column before these bacteria can even utilize it. In order for the bacteria in the water column to have access to these nutrients, they need to get into the water column. How do they get there? They must first be liberated from the solid wastes....wastes that can be removed with a simpler, less sexy method: detritus removal/water change.

I'm not saying biopellets can't work, they can, but you're right, it can be tedious. Far too tedious for this monkey to monkey with. :haha: I'll stick to detritus removal/water changes and attack the issue by its roots. :happy:

Just google "cyano and biopellets" there's tons of threads of people getting cyano while using biopellets. Thought its not proven that the pellets are causing it, seeing how many people have that issue makes me wonder if it has a connection.

Like stated above, all that carbon might be feeding the cyano. So maybe cyano was slightly present and biopellets made it grow.

Cyano feeds off of any excess nutrients it can get it's hands on, and if there is an abundance of carbon, that can easily fuel its growth...especially now that it it doesn't even have to pull carbon directly from the air. That and xiao has detritus collecting in his sump...that doesn't help. :P

I've been wondering if its because I don't have an extremely diverse microbe population to outcompete the cyano for carbon. I started dosing Dr. Tim's waste away last week in order to increase my microbe diversity.

This likely isn't the issue. ALL the bacteria in your system will feed on the carbon (as it is their most limited nutrient), including the cyano. Cyano (and algae) are great bioindicators of your tank's condition. The more obvious issue is that the cyano has still access has nutrients (other than the abundant C). This leaves N and P...there is a source of those in your tank somewhere that you need to seek out and remove.

This likely isn't the issue. ALL the bacteria in your system will feed on the carbon (as it is their most limited nutrient), including the cyano. Cyano (and algae) are great bioindicators of your tank's condition. The more obvious issue is that the cyano has still access has nutrients (other than the abundant C). This leaves N and P...there is a source of those in your tank somewhere that you need to seek out and remove.

Makes sense. And I think cyano manifests itself visually really well because none of my CUC will even touch it. Other algae gets gobbled up overnight by my CUC.

My CUC pretty much ignores cyano in my tank too.

I have to admit that I've pretty much stopped measuring N and P in my tank. I always get zeros. But I can always tell how things are going based on when I get little patches of cyano. It's the best indicator I've found yet that I've been procrastinating on vacuuming the sand. As soon as I do that, the cyano is gone in a week or so.

Btw, I just switched from Oolite to Seaflor Special Reef Grade and like it a lot better. It doesn't blow around from the circulation and using the turkey baster on the rocks is much easier because the sand stays put.

Extra bonus: when you siphon out the Oolite sand you pull out lots and lots of detritus. Much more than if you just vacuum the sand. But admittedly it's a lot easier to do this without impacting the inhabitants in my 4g tank than in a larger tank.

Makes sense. And I think cyano manifests itself visually really well because none of my CUC will even touch it. Other algae gets gobbled up overnight by my CUC.

Haha yup, this is true. But while your CUC might be efficient at eating the other stuff up...they poop too! :ninja:

My CUC pretty much ignores cyano in my tank too.

I have to admit that I've pretty much stopped measuring N and P in my tank. I always get zeros. But I can always tell how things are going based on when I get little patches of cyano. It's the best indicator I've found yet that I've been procrastinating on vacuuming the sand. As soon as I do that, the cyano is gone in a week or so.

Btw, I just switched from Oolite to Seaflor Special Reef Grade and like it a lot better. It doesn't blow around from the circulation and using the turkey baster on the rocks is much easier because the sand stays put.

Extra bonus: when you siphon out the Oolite sand you pull out lots and lots of detritus. Much more than if you just vacuum the sand. But admittedly it's a lot easier to do this without impacting the inhabitants in my 4g tank than in a larger tank.

Exactly! While tests can reveal some issues, their accuracy typically leaves much to be desired anyway, especially when we get to the low end (we still can't get to .001ppm yet). Instead, we can use cyano and algae as bioindicators...they work very well! I used Special Reef Grade on my last go too and it was fine (although detritus did eventually collect). It was, however, easier to stir up without making a total mess. I'm full on BB now...

Oolite does tend to hold on to detritus even more...but all sand will hold it, which is why it's important to deep clean or replace sand over time. I actually recommend eventual replacement as sand is quite good at absorbing phosphates (as is all CaCO3)...and those need to be exported at some point as well.

Mother******. I noticed that one of my pipefish has a slightly damaged tail this morning, and I just saw my clown nip at the tail of my other pipefish.

If this behavior continues, the clowns are going bye bye.

I found two huge rotting nerites in my tank. The smell when I pulled them out.

giphy.gif

Lol I once had a turbo get out of the tank, it smelled awful. So I picked it up and took a sniff at the rotting corpse.... Biggest mistake of my life lol

I managed to grab a few items during Black Friday, and from a local reefer this week.

I picked up a BRS 4-Stage RODI with float valves, an in-line TDS meter, and replacement filters for $50.

I also managed to pick up a 7 polyp AOG zoa, 3 head Neon Green Duncan, and Neon Green Torch, and frag of red zoas for $37.

Pics coming tomorrow, and video coming within the next few weeks.

GOD DAMNIT. I just watched one of my sleeping pipefish get pulled into my MP10.

On the bright side, he's still alive. On the downside, he may not be alive by tomorrow morning.

I put him in a QT enclosure. :(

giphy.gif

Legendary Corals

GOD DAMNIT. I just watched one of my sleeping pipefish get pulled into my MP10.

On the bright side, he's still alive. On the downside, he may not be alive by tomorrow morning.

I put him in a QT enclosure. :(

giphy.gif

Those guys swim so slow. Hopefully it pulls through!

Awesome video!!! I need to make something like that eventually... Key word eventually.

Yes you do!

Also, ya'll see that nasty brown cyano on my sandbed? >:[

Awesome video! (though I listed to it without any sound)

I wanted a couple of pipefish, but am worried they would slip through the return grate thingy in my biocube.

Archived