ReefCleaners.org

Custom NUVO 20 Fusion: New Stand

xiaoxiy

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't blame you,if its not broke,don't fix it. If it's working,keep on'a trucking lol. I've been thinking about it,because it's only $16 at my LFS,which isn't bad.

Eh yeah,I hear you. What inverts were you looking into ? Neon's have such a small bioload I don't think more than 1 would do any harm.

Thanks man,I appreciate it. Pop in from time to time and see what's going on. I'm still debating on what fish to get. It's going to be wither 2-3 Neon's,a Flaming Prawn Goby or a 6 Line or a Possum Wrasse.... Choices lol

Damn,do you have paper mache walls lol ? Thank god it wasn't the tank lmao.

A 7 gal might be too small for a 6line. But 2-3 neon's would look fantastic, especially if you went with a blue one, a yellow one, and maybe a silver sharknose.

The apartments I live in are new, as in were built 4 months ago new. Lets just say the building crew did a rushjob, and things aren't of the best quality. In other words, nothing in the apartment is square, rofl. I swear they purposely built the apartment so that everything, other than the floor, is sloped.

You're probably right lol. A Hectors goby would be KILLER !! My LFS gets neons in all the time,they have about 5-6 yellow an black ones in right meow. But at $20 a pop.. I'd have to get them one at a time and idk how they'd do with new tennets lol.

I know exactly what you mean,I'm my old house ( I was the second to live in it) my shit was the same way. For a $350k house you'd think they'd do a better job..

You're probably right lol. A Hectors goby would be KILLER !! My LFS gets neons in all the time,they have about 5-6 yellow an black ones in right meow. But at $20 a pop.. I'd have to get them one at a time and idk how they'd do with new tennets lol.

I know exactly what you mean,I'm my old house ( I was the second to live in it) my shit was the same way. For a $350k house you'd think they'd do a better job..

Oh man. I've been eyeing those hector gobies for a while now too. The day I got the pipefish, I was supposed to go in for a hectors goby. The owner of my LFS decided to surprise me and didn't tell me that he had gotten pipefish in.

Just found your thread. Your tank is inspiring (in spite of the cyano battle) - I love the clean look and pipefish are too cool. officially following :)

Careful with the Hectors Gobies, mine was a total PITA to get to eat. In such a small system the algae they shift isn't very prevelant. I had a horrible time getting mine to survive, he did ok, but I eventually gave him away in fear he wasn't getting enough food.

Careful with the Hectors Gobies, mine was a total PITA to get to eat. In such a small system the algae they shift isn't very prevelant. I had a horrible time getting mine to survive, he did ok, but I eventually gave him away in fear he wasn't getting enough food.

Yeah. That's actually one of the reasons I ended up going with the pipefish. Not only were they unique pair of fish, but they were also eating.

I hate cyano. I just vacuumed my sandbed this morning during the w/c and pulled out all of the cyano. 3 hours later, and I already have patches coming back.

Sounds like you need to export some nutrients. A skimmer def helps, but you can always do direct detritus removal via water changes. ;)

Remember, we can test (inaccurately) for inorganic phosphates, but as you speculated, it is likely being consumed as fast as we add it. Not to mention we don't have any real way of testing for organic phosphates either. The best solution to combat a tank from becoming eutrophic is to try to actively siphon out detritus, water changes, and running a skimmer (which you're already doing).

Sounds like you need to export some nutrients. A skimmer def helps, but you can always do direct detritus removal via water changes. ;)

Remember, we can test (inaccurately) for inorganic phosphates, but as you say, it is likely being consumed as fast as we add it. Not to mention we don't have any real way of testing for organic phosphates either. The best solution here is to try to actively siphon out detritus, water changes, and running a skimmer (which you're already doing).

Agreed. I'm actually surprised at the lack of detritus I get during water changes when I siphon my sandbed. I feel like I made a mistake by going with oolite as my sand; it's such a pain to siphon. Half the stuff I end up vaccuuming out is simply oolite-dust.

I've also been actively blowing off my rocks two to three times a day with a turkey baster to try to suspend settled detritus. Again, when I do that, it's an oolite dust storm.

It also probably doesn't help that the biopellet carbon is probably providing the cyano with a yummy food source too.

Agreed. I'm actually surprised at the lack of detritus I get during water changes when I siphon my sandbed. I feel like I made a mistake by going with oolite as my sand; it's such a pain to siphon. Half the stuff I end up vaccuuming out is simply oolite-dust.

I've also been actively blowing off my rocks two to three times a day with a turkey baster to try to suspend settled detritus. Again, when I do that, it's an oolite dust storm.

It also probably doesn't help that the biopellet carbon is probably providing the cyano with a yummy food source too.

I hear that! It's one of the reasons I decided to run BB this go around (despite my love of sand). Less maintenance and I'll never have to replace it. Well that, and the detritus accumulation is easily visible since it has no place to hide. :happy: Don't forget to check your sump area for loose detritus too! :)

Yeah...turkey basting your rock is basically a must though...I know it's gotta been annoying to just end up blowing sand everywhere while doing it though. <_< You might try to check if there is any build up towards the bottom/underneath the rock too...a lot of times detritus tries to hide there too.

The biopellets are giving the cyano a free meal as of now...free carbon! ...and they don't even have to work for it! :P Removing the biopellets or at least reducing the amount might have a positive result.

I've been reading your thread backwards for the past 3 pages, (because I saw pipefish, which are beautiful btw) and I never did see a tank shot. I would love to though. I also have pipes. They are cool.

Oops, me bad. When you did the lights with the conduit you posted a fts.

I hear that! It's one of the reasons I decided to run BB this go around (despite my love of sand). Less maintenance and I'll never have to replace it. Well that, and the detritus accumulation is easily visible since it has no place to hide. :happy: Don't forget to check your sump area for loose detritus too! :)

Yeah...turkey basting your rock is basically a must though...I know it's gotta been annoying to just end up blowing sand everywhere while doing it though. <_< You might try to check if there is any build up towards the bottom/underneath the rock too...a lot of times detritus tries to hide there too.

The biopellets are giving the cyano a free meal as of now...free carbon! ...and they don't even have to work for it! :P Removing the biopellets or at least reducing the amount might have a positive result.

I've been trying to figure out how to jerryrig something up so I can siphon out detritus that builds up in the sump.

I've been reading your thread backwards for the past 3 pages, (because I saw pipefish, which are beautiful btw) and I never did see a tank shot. I would love to though. I also have pipes. They are cool.

Oops, me bad. When you did the lights with the conduit you posted a fts.

Thanks! Yeah, that was the post-cyano FTS. If you want a pre-cyano FTS, I have one on the first page of this thread.

Reduce the amount of biopellets you use.

I started with about 1/4th the recommended dosage, and have been adding 5ml of biopellets every week. I'm at 1/2 the recommended dosage right now. How much bioplellets should I remove?

I've been trying to figure out how to jerryrig something up so I can siphon out detritus that builds up in the sump.

You could maybe try this:

10710567_10152592149941137_4338457968804

More info about it in my thread. B)

Otherwise, targeting it with your siphon when you water change works just as well.

I've been eyeing that! Although, I kinda don't wanna spend $50 on it.

Siphoning unfortunately doesn't work because my sump is so low :(.

Yeah, it's pretty expensive, but I'm pretty determined to keep detritus out of my system this go around, so it was worth it for me. My sump is also too low to siphon, so it does work quite well for that. :P Now I can vacuum up the sump/dt pretty easily and use a siphon to pick up anything I might have missed in the dt.

It's a pain, but maybe turkey basting it out bits at a time? Perhaps a quick rip of a wet dry vac to get it out? :haha:

I'm skimming with an SCA301, and it's pulling some nasty stuff. :(

I looked heavily into running biopellets at one point in time, the more I researched the more I found that they are often more a problem then a help. You have to be very careful, overdosing and a few other things can cause problems. My conclusion was they were to much trouble to be worth it. They could be causing your issues, but I haven't heard of them causing cyano in all the research I did. Although, people saw a vast and wide span of random issues from using them.

I looked heavily into running biopellets at one point in time, the more I researched the more I found that they are often more a problem then a help. You have to be very careful, overdosing and a few other things can cause problems. My conclusion was they were to much trouble to be worth it. They could be causing your issues, but I haven't heard of them causing cyano in all the research I did. Although, people saw a vast and wide span of random issues from using them.

Just google "cyano and biopellets" there's tons of threads of people getting cyano while using biopellets. Thought its not proven that the pellets are causing it, seeing how many people have that issue makes me wonder if it has a connection.

Like stated above, all that carbon might be feeding the cyano. So maybe cyano was slightly present and biopellets made it grow.

Archived