Cultivated Reef

Solana 34G (ZEOvit)

exactlyobp

Yup, the famous zeovit pasteling has begun.

5/4/2014 Red Planet:

https://flic.kr/p/nuvSAX'>14106182491_7c328db66a_z.jpg

I slowly started to dose Pohl's Xtra Sp. and AcroPower. Coral Vitalizer will be here any day now.

Awesome! I'm starting to see things change too. It's so cool. No pastel yet but I'm only doing the trio. I'm ordering cv, extra, and snow tom!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
exactlyobp

Awesome! I'm starting to see things change too. It's so cool. No pastel yet but I'm only doing the trio. I'm ordering cv, extra, and snow tom!

Thanks bud!

Needs more observation, but i think the corals are responding to Xtra Sp! PEs gotten better :D :D

• 2 weeks later...
exactlyobp

A few pics of new stuff :D

CAD Light Skimmer PLS-100

14176928511_c45f8380bd_c.jpg

13993584278_247f1c8602_c.jpg

13993584838_11c6fefcb6_c.jpg

In action

14180262504_19fea0c0ed_c.jpg

Tight fit means perfect fit :)

14180261784_ebfc376dce_c.jpg

and CV.

13993561179_daf9cae825.jpg

TheKleinReef

awesome pickups! remember to refrigerate the CV after you open it.. my parents accidentally left it out overnight once, and i don't think it's any good anymore.

exactlyobp

awesome pickups! remember to refrigerate the CV after you open it.. my parents accidentally left it out overnight once, and i don't think it's any good anymore.

Thanks Roger. Yup CV is staying in the fridge with the ZeoBak and superglue :D

Very cool build!

Thanks Lowkey, stay tuned!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Man, cannot wait for my next build already, I'm salivating over a sump'd cad build... artisan 70 sounds good don't it!? :ninja:

exactlyobp

Awsome !! Just fits :D

Yes it does! Thanks Brian :D and i think its broken in now after 3 days.

Man, cannot wait for my next build already, I'm salivating over a sump'd cad build... artisan 70 sounds good don't it!? :ninja:

Sure it does! and thanks Tron!

To be honest, i wasn't too happy about the humming sound from the skimmer pump but it's quiet now! Still having tad cloudy water but ill let it take its course.

Yes it does! Thanks Brian :D and i think its broken in now after 3 days.

Sure it does! and thanks Tron!

To be honest, i wasn't too happy about the humming sound from the skimmer pump but it's quiet now! Still having tad cloudy water but ill let it take its course.

Mine was loud too at first. It is pretty silent now, and skimming well. Took a while to break in.

exactlyobp

Mine was loud too at first. It is pretty silent now, and skimming well. Took a while to break in.

It makes virtually no sound at all. Very happy so far. I did run it with vinegar water overnight tho.

I have been doing ~10% water change every 5 days for nutrients in check (to be honest i haven't checked PO4/NO3 for a few weeks) since I see a few patches of pale brown algae here and there. Did the 90% zeolite stone change for the fist time after 61 days. Soaked the stones in RODI for a couple of days, just to be sure.

Miyagi tort still has a few hair algae spots but it is growing over them. Its placed high and coloring up. The Red Planet is pasteled (maybe a bit too much) and busy encrusting now.

I have been dosing:

Xtra Sp. 1ml daily

CoralVitalizer 1 drop daily

SP 1 drop daily

Start3 0.05ml every few days (still figuring out the correct dosage)

Bak 1 drop daily (for a week then ill slow down)

AcroPower 2ml every 5 days

Again, the Red Planet is paled out a bit and it could show a bit more PE. Anything to add or subtract?

FTS 5/17/2014

14020946790_e6fa71b775_c.jpg

Again the water is not crystal clear yet.

SouthFlorida_Tron

You could pick up some Coral Snow, and add this with the ZeoBak via 2ml and 1ml of tank water and 1 drop mixed for 5 minutes, drop directly into display with skimmer off for 2-3 hours.

Also, as far as clear water, look into ZEOlife, I've been using it, and initially didn't think much of it, but I use it twice weekly and I have to say it has attributed to some clearer water and much brighter colors, most noticeable the blue on my stylophora... its absolutely poppin. Premium Aquatics may still have some on clearance.

exactlyobp

I will look into it. I do have Coral Snow too, but the thing is that i think the system is young. Ill just let it balance out.

SouthFlorida_Tron

You can start using it right away. It is a transmitter for additives to corals in saturating the water column with beneficial nutrients to assist in coral health and even acclimation to a new environment.

I use coral snow with my zeobak doses and biomate, also add my coral vitalizer post CS use.

May even help with that mysterious cloudiness. Who knows!

Are you running carbon?

exactlyobp

You can start using it right away. It is a transmitter for additives to corals in saturating the water column with beneficial nutrients to assist in coral health and even acclimation to a new environment.

I use coral snow with my zeobak doses and biomate, also add my coral vitalizer post CS use.

May even help with that mysterious cloudiness. Who knows!

Are you running carbon?

Im gonna keep it simple for now. Yes I'm running carbon passively.

System is looking really nice. The scape looks like an optical illusion, almost like it's balanced at an angle.

Thanks Nico for the compliment! I like how it turned out too, took me a few tries. Its a single piece rock, i used this to put them together.

Loving what you're doing with this build. I'm not the biggest fan of BB and clear backs, but you're doing a great job of it. I also have a Solana 34 but I have the AIO version and I'm considering doing the exact style of overflow you have done.

How noisy is the overflow and all of that?

What size sump are you using?

I used reef saver rock as well. Did you cure it by chance? I didn't when I started my tank and I had to pretty much do a 100% water change to get it clear again.

What type of salt are you using and how often are you doing water changes?

exactlyobp

Happy Memorial day weekend!

Loving what you're doing with this build. I'm not the biggest fan of BB and clear backs, but you're doing a great job of it. I also have a Solana 34 but I have the AIO version and I'm considering doing the exact style of overflow you have done.

How noisy is the overflow and all of that?

What size sump are you using?

I used reef saver rock as well. Did you cure it by chance? I didn't when I started my tank and I had to pretty much do a 100% water change to get it clear again.

What type of salt are you using and how often are you doing water changes?

OMG how did i miss this post! Sorry about the snail speed reply, thanks for the compliment! As far as the overflow goes, I would only do BeAn style from now on (this is my second BeAn and the first external). It is literally dead quiet. The sump is the Aqueon Proflex Model 1, its cramped but does the job.

The rock is from Marco Rocks and I had these in my old system. When i took it down, i bleached it soaked it in RODI then cycled it with ZeoBak and Microbactor7 for a month and half or so (i think).

I do waterchange 10%~ weekly, with Coralife salt.

Again sorry about the delayed response, i hope this helps!

Find it strange why your water is cloudy.

I think its just bacterial imbalance. Its getting better:

14257657121_375dc8b3e9_c.jpg

And my day starts like this:

14237850446_06685e0ef4_c.jpg

PLS-100 skimmer is kicking a$$:

14257656411_4a3f76c965_c.jpg

Cali tort is being pretty:

14074406497_bd0db1fc89_c.jpg

5/24/2014

I might order some corals this weekend (Memorial day sale FTW!).

exactlyobp

Thanks Christine!

The Red Planet is still pale. Have been dosing CV 2 drops, Xtra Sp. 1ml, AcroPower here and there (skimmer off for a few hours after). Decent PE but I think it could color up a bit more. Feeding fish bit more than usual too (I still see pale brown algae patches, but not concerning).

Is there anything else i should be doing?

My Red Planet cannot handle high PAR, if it gets too much light it pales out. Try lowering PAR a little, see what happens.

exactlyobp

My Red Planet cannot handle high PAR, if it gets too much light it pales out. Try lowering PAR a little, see what happens.

Ok I lowered the intensity of the Radion by 10%. See what happens :) Thanks Christine.

exactlyobp

What was it set at before Shin? Your Par?

Hey Kyle! I don't have a PAR meter at the moment, but here is the Radion setting after lowering by 10%:

14082830198_260ce7b2e3_n.jpg

Any/every input is appreciated!

Archived