Coral Vue Hydros

Solana 34G (ZEOvit)

exactlyobp

Still trying to figure out the proper dosage amount of ZS3 with huge help from Christine. The water gets cloudy whenever I dose it.

Anyway, here is the FTS, taken a few moments ago:

13986577614_a5bc134a5b_c.jpg

And RP encrusting pic:

14006129403_690935b587_c.jpg

When I picked up this RP, i separated it from the rock, and a tiny branch broke off (which was expected), but the scar is getting covered after 10 days :)

So it got me worried about the consumption in the system since Im not dosing anything as far as the Alk, Ca and Mag go yet, I decided to test the param, here is the result.

Alk 108ppm = 6.03 dKH! Gotta start dosing alk!

13986579004_70e4fd0c20_c.jpg

On the other hand, Ca is 573ppm

13987409314_76a0acbb38_c.jpg

I thought it was crazy high, so I tested with RedSea kit, and it was off the chart (500+).

13983766032_20de49d2fa_c.jpg

And might as well, PO4: 0.07 ppm

14006134303_77c3e66313_c.jpg

And one more angled FTS, just because :D :D

13982956231_24fa489e71_c.jpg

Like i mentioned above, this system is far from stable. Just need to mix Alk/Ca, hook up dosing pumps, and go from there!

Thanks for looking! It makes me smile every time I come back to the Nano-reef site and there's red number at the top. Love it! :D :D

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still trying to figure out the proper dosage amount of ZS3 with huge help from Christine. The water gets cloudy whenever I dose it.

Anyway, here is the FTS, taken a few moments ago:

https://flic.kr/p/niWSeU'>13986577614_a5bc134a5b_c.jpg

And RP encrusting pic:

https://flic.kr/p/nkF5iH'>14006129403_690935b587_c.jpg

When I picked up this RP, i separated it from the rock, and a tiny branch broke off (which was expected), but the scar is getting covered after 10 days :)

So it got me worried about the consumption in the system since Im not dosing anything as far as the Alk, Ca and Mag go yet, I decided to test the param, here is the result.

Alk 108ppm = 6.03 dKH! Gotta start dosing alk!

https://flic.kr/p/niWSDS'>13986579004_70e4fd0c20_c.jpg

On the other hand, Ca is 573ppm

https://flic.kr/p/nj28ty'>13987409314_76a0acbb38_c.jpg

I thought it was crazy high, so I tested with RedSea kit, and it was off the chart (500+).

https://flic.kr/p/niGssm'>13983766032_20de49d2fa_c.jpg

And might as well, PO4: 0.07 ppm

https://flic.kr/p/nkF6Lc'>14006134303_77c3e66313_c.jpg

And one more angled FTS, just because :D :D

https://flic.kr/p/niCiJg'>13982956231_24fa489e71_c.jpg

Like i mentioned above, this system is far from stable. Just need to mix Alk/Ca, hook up dosing pumps, and go from there!

Thanks for looking! It makes me smile every time I come back to the Nano-reef site and there's red number at the top. Love it! :D :D

Don't we all love those little red numbers....lol....the tank looks great. What salt mix are you using? I've been trying to get my water quality sorted also. I lowered my zs3 a little too.

Don't we all love those little red numbers....lol....the tank looks great. What salt mix are you using? I've been trying to get my water quality sorted also. I lowered my zs3 a little too.

Heck ya, i love NR! Thanks Alex, I've been using the Coralife Salt mix. I like it because of the alk level out of the box, low side and its perfect for my liking. I wanna keep the Alk at 7.3ish.

I quickly dug out one of the BRS dosing pump, mixed the BRS alk in a small jar and its operational now.

I like my brs pumps :) I will get one of those fancy dosing machines if and when I decide to run zeovit. How is your overflow working out ???

I like my brs pumps :) I will get one of those fancy dosing machines if and when I decide to run zeovit. How is your overflow working out ???

Hey Brian, i like their peri pump too, its been solid for a long time. The overflow is working great as it supposed to :) and dead silent. Too bad the skimmer is so loud... So I'm thinking CAD PLS-100.

TheKleinReef

my tiny frag (0.5") of ORA red planet is hanging on. hopefully i can get it strong and healthy enough to move from the frag tank to the display.

your tank is starting to look stunning already! keep it up, i'm definitely following along! :D

Hey Brian, i like their peri pump too, its been solid for a long time. The overflow is working great as it supposed to :) and dead silent. Too bad the skimmer is so loud... So I'm thinking CAD PLS-100.
That's a nice skimmer with a small footprint :) I don't imagine you have a lot of sump space .

Lol I too lowered my ZS3 a couple weeks ago.

my tiny frag (0.5") of ORA red planet is hanging on. hopefully i can get it strong and healthy enough to move from the frag tank to the display.

your tank is starting to look stunning already! keep it up, i'm definitely following along! :D

Hey Roger, I've tried RP a couple times in the old 90 gallon, I don't think i gave it enough flow or light. Not this time! It's getting a lot of indirect random flow with a lot of broad spectrum light. Thanks for the compliment, trying to catch up!

That's a nice skimmer with a small footprint :) I don't imagine you have a lot of sump space .

Yes its crowded and ugly. Barely have 5" x 7"...

Beautiful tank!!!

Thank you LC :D :D

Lol I too lowered my ZS3 a couple weeks ago.

Hey AJ, Ive been dosing 0.05ml every 12 hours for the last 2 days, the water is staying clear! YES!

Looks good keep it going.

Thanks BA! Im getting a few more SPSs next week, Im excited :)

Hey AJ, Ive been dosing 0.05ml every 12 hours for the last 2 days, the water is staying clear! YES!

Awesome. I just reduced to 0.1 ml x2 daily from 0.15. (about 2 weeks ago I was dosing 0.25) My water is crystal clear however I am getting a tiny amount of brownish film on the glass daily and a tiny amount of bubbling on the underside of one rock.

I think this 0.1 ml should do it as the drop from 0.25-0.15 helped dramatically, but not 100%

What is your net water volume, I am working with about 55 gallons net.

Awesome. I just reduced to 0.1 ml x2 daily from 0.15. (about 2 weeks ago I was dosing 0.25) My water is crystal clear however I am getting a tiny amount of brownish film on the glass daily and a tiny amount of bubbling on the underside of one rock.

I think this 0.1 ml should do it as the drop from 0.25-0.15 helped dramatically, but not 100%

What is your net water volume, I am working with about 55 gallons net.

Nice AJ. I can't say the water is crystal clear in my tank, but it's not too bad anymore considering it's 40 days old system. I will s-l-o-w-ly raise the dose from 0.05ml to whatever it needs be.

What do you think the film and bubbles are? Hmm..

I have 40 gallons NET volume.

Nice AJ. I can't say the water is crystal clear in my tank, but it's not too bad anymore considering it's 40 days old system. I will s-l-o-w-ly raise the dose from 0.05ml to whatever it needs be.

What do you think the film and bubbles are? Hmm..

I have 40 gallons NET volume.

Definitely a result of Start3 OD.

Definitely a result of Start3 OD.

I hope you get it under control, but i have a feeling it will in no time.

I too underestimated the effectiveness of all those blue bottlezzz!

Lol..we are in the same boat. My water has been getting cloudy whenever I dose zeostart. Seems like all 3 of us are backing down on dosing. I think christine is right on the money. Zs3 overdose can have a lot of negative effects. I'm hoping this bloom I'm going through now passes quickly. Usually I would grab some purigen and small micron sock to help, but I think running zeo it's better to let it sort itself out.

P.s if I ever go cube again...I'm doing a bonsai bare bottom tank. I love your tank.

It'll take time, just gotta be constant. I think I'm gonna hook up the dosing pump to dose ZS3 down the road, just like Christine's doing..

Anyway, i started to dose Alk and managed to bring it up to the range of my liking with the combination of dosing and a waterchange:

14024631754_1ef902f0ed_z.jpg

14020881621_a9a3c58f89_c.jpg

On the other hand tho, Ca is still high.

14024518774_d968f39414_c.jpg

Ill keep a close eye on it, letting it take its course.

NanoTopia

Ca is very high, maybe cross check your salinity with a different instrument. What salt are you using again?

A reduction of ZS3 results in the die-off of bacteria in the system, this process can cause nutrients to rise for a few weeks. I suggest more water changes during this period as it is not an indication of filtration inadequacy. Some brown and green algae may occur in this time, generally it will correct itself in 2-4 weeks. Lowering ZS3 in a new system is not recommended because the system is not low nutrient stable.

exactlyobp

Ca is very high, maybe cross check your salinity with a different instrument. What salt are you using again?

A reduction of ZS3 results in the die-off of bacteria in the system, this process can cause nutrients to rise for a few weeks. I suggest more water changes during this period as it is not an indication of filtration inadequacy. Some brown and green algae may occur in this time, generally it will correct itself in 2-4 weeks. Lowering ZS3 in a new system is not recommended because the system is not low nutrient stable.

Ive been using Coralife brand. Have no idea why the Ca is where it is. Fresh made is at 450-ish with 7.5 dKH.. Salinity was a bit high tho, 1.026~1.027. I have been trying to lower it to 1.025.

I will start dosing Coral Vitalizer as soon as I receive it also will keep even closer-er eye on the nutrients. Appreciate your every help/input! I hope others can pick up from this thread too.

Side note: CAD light PL-100 skimmer is ordered!

exactlyobp

How are you liking your hanna checker? :D

I like it, no color guessing game!

Out of town reef buddy brought these for me! He had been "foster caring" these corals since last December.

- Cali tort 5/3/2014

14095937612_46f1654de8_c.jpg

- Ice blue stag 5/3/2014

14095823471_8ee291f146_c.jpg

These were my favorites from my old tank, so hyped!

exactlyobp

Yup, the famous zeovit pasteling has begun.

5/4/2014 Red Planet:

14106182491_7c328db66a_z.jpg

I slowly started to dose Pohl's Xtra Sp. and AcroPower. Coral Vitalizer will be here any day now.

Archived