Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mirya's Mini Garden (Nuvo 8) - Yasha Love Shack

Mirya

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think the air control valve is worth it to control the skimmer?

IDK. I haven't tried controlling the skimmer that way yet, though I do have some air control valves laying around that I can play with. I did install a check valve in the airline though just in case of a power outage to prevent any back-siphoning.

Gotcha....Think I should add a bubble guide inside like you did?

Now that I have watched my skimmer run, I don't think it is absolutely necessary. It does probably allow me to eek out a slightly drier skimmate though.

Also, what size vacuum did you use? The 9" one? Looking for the right inside diameter

It was a "mini" vacuum I picked up when I started the tank. Sorry, I don't remember the exact size. You don't really need a particular diameter to make this work. In fact, from my understanding of skimmer theory, as the diameter increases, it increases the efficiency of the skimmer (see the 2nd law in the link). Just use whatever fits in your back section or you have on hand. :)

Steensj2004

Thanks! My visit to the LFS produced nothing worth buying or they were out of what I needed....try a different one tomorrow... Or I might just order it off Marine depot.lol.

hypostatic

That pink one you have your eye on sounds nice. Maybe Splash Corals or VIP Reef will show up at a local swap near you. I've seen both with pink ones, though not quite like the ones you posted.

FOUND IT =D

post-71065-0-53484900-1398905308_thumb.jpg

Thanks! My visit to the LFS produced nothing worth buying or they were out of what I needed....try a different one tomorrow... Or I might just order it off Marine depot.lol.

I think I ordered mine off Amazon because all my LFS don't really carry nano-sized stuff in stock. :lol:

FOUND IT =D

Very nice!

OMG.

Entirely new level of uber awesomeness.

Agreed.

I'll post some pictures in a little bit. One of my LFS is having an anniversary sale. I decided I'd drop by and see if they had any dry goods I would need for the new tank. Picked up a Cobalt Neo-Therm 100W heater for like $45! Also walked away with another coral. I know I keep telling myself I shouldn't get more, but I've had my eye on this one for awhile and it was 25% off... And I just sold my Paly colony to a reef club member tonight so a spot had opened up on the sandbed...

Steensj2004

I also picked up two new corals.... My local saltwater only specialty store(also happens to be owned by a guy I've made good friends with) was having a sale when I stopped in. That along with my," Friend " discount I couldn't resist! What did you get? Pics!

I'm about to order everything off marine depot and wait....lol

Congrats on POTM!!!! It's a great shot!!!!!

Oh wow....that pink rock flowers is soooo pretty. So delicate looking.

Can't wait to see what you got today :).

So, I picked a wire coral today! There is a tiny little LPS something or other growing on the plug too.

wire_zps6617df54.jpg

Not going to lie, I'm a little nervous about having a non-photosynthetic coral, but this one has been at my LFS for over a month and has been doing very well. After seeing the wire corals that Felicia and Zia have thriving in their pony tanks, I wanted to give one a try. I don't feed my tank anywhere nearly as heavily as I imagine they feed their pony tanks though. We'll see. /crosses fingers I feed Reef Chili and frozen rotifiers to the tank a few times a week. Should that suffice for the wire coral?

While I had the pump off taking some FTS, the Pistol Shrimp decided to ham it up for the camera. Man, that shrimp and goby as so photogenic!

pistol_zps30343cf9.jpg

Lastly, here is a FTS before the month of April closes out:

FTS42914_zps8cbd6e50.jpg

Kind of a mess still. I adjusted the angle of my return outflow a little so I wouldn't get salt creep on my new screen top. The anemones have been moving around a little in response to the change in currents. Every morning this week I've been unburying the zoanthids after Pistol shrimp buried them. They are currently sitting pretty far from his burrow exits, so I don't think he will harass them. I'm working on making a frag rack though to stow them away on until I get the second tank going and can spread everything out between the two tanks. The Sansibia I've banished to the corner of the sandbed. While I really like it, I've seen too many pictures of it taking over tanks, so I'm looking to get rid of it. My local reef club has a frag swap in a few weeks, so I hope I can unload it there.

Azedenkae

Mhmmm great tank! Yeah, something is missing from the very centre of the rockwork, but I guess it's kinda hard with all the anemones moving.

How is your Caulastrea going? Everything else seems to be fine, but it seems a bit sad if I may.

Really good looking. These tanks are just mesmerizing. I can spend forever staring at everything.. I have my Nuvo 8 on my bedside table - it's a great relaxing way to go to sleep.

Mhmmm great tank! Yeah, something is missing from the very centre of the rockwork, but I guess it's kinda hard with all the anemones moving.

How is your Caulastrea going? Everything else seems to be fine, but it seems a bit sad if I may.

Thanks Azedenkae! (And Frankdr who posted while I was writing this post!) Yeah that spot in the center of the rockwork had been taken by Zed, until he decided to climb up top and play "king of the mountain" with Borneman.

The Caulastrea is hanging in there sorta. I've continued to shift it around to dodge anemones. The tissue recession has stopped and it does extend feeding tentacles at night. Otherwise it never really inflates and tends to look in sad shape.

Tomorrow I'm leaving on a trip for 3 days. Everyone in the tank better behave while I'm gone! My cat sitter is pretty terrified of messing anything up with the tank, so isn't really willing to touch it.

Azedenkae

Thanks Azedenkae! (And Frankdr who posted while I was writing this post!) Yeah that spot in the center of the rockwork had been taken by Zed, until he decided to climb up top and play "king of the mountain" with Borneman.

The Caulastrea is hanging in there sorta. I've continued to shift it around to dodge anemones. The tissue recession has stopped and it does extend feeding tentacles at night. Otherwise it never really inflates and tends to look in sad shape.

Tomorrow I'm leaving on a trip for 3 days. Everyone in the tank better behave while I'm gone! My cat sitter is pretty terrified of messing anything up with the tank, so isn't really willing to touch it.

Mhm, whilst you're away it's probably just best to let it be and have no one touch it, at all. XD

I guess it's kinda hard to have anemones and corals in the same tank, especially a small one. :/ I have a Nuvo 16, which I will have one BTA in + two Clowns, the BTA will be on one side, and I am gonna have a bunch of Caulastrea on the other side (hence why I'm super interested in it). I'll set two large structures up, so hopefully when the BTA chooses the structure it likes, it'll stick to it and not bother the Caulastrea on the other structure.

Hopefully.

Steensj2004

Hey, curious how your skimmer is doing. I got everything to build mine except a wooden airstone. I cannot find one locally to save my damn life. I might actually buy some basswood and make my own. I have the same airpump as you, is that enough pump for this type of skimmer or do I need a more powerful one?

So, the hubby and I drove to Indianapolis yesterday. Did some touristy stuff today like visiting the Eiteljorg museum. They currently have an exhibit of Ansel Adams' work. Amazing! Going in to see the exhibit, I didn't appreciate what a difference seeing prints processed by Adams himself would make. It was impressive. One of my favorite Adams' pictures "Aspens, New Mexico" was even more ethereal in the print he produced. And, of course, viewing the whole exhibit was to be schooled in composition and contrast in photography. Definitely worth a stop if you are in Indy while the exhibit is running.

This afternoon we swung by Premium Aquatics. Not going to lie, I just wanted to fill up the car, purchasing everything I want for my next tank! I was good though. I only grabbed a bottle of DT's Phytoplankton, since I can't find it locally. They have really nice prices on livestock and some nice frags though.

Going to hit the sack early tonight... tomorrow I'm running the Indy Mini-Marathon!

90770h_SignMeUpBanner.jpg

Hey, curious how your skimmer is doing. I got everything to build mine except a wooden airstone. I cannot find one locally to save my damn life. I might actually buy some basswood and make my own. I have the same airpump as you, is that enough pump for this type of skimmer or do I need a more powerful one?

Crazy that you can't find some local wooden airstones! Check out eBay. I did a search there for "wood airstone" and found some multi-packs for sale with free shipping. In regards to your question about the air pump -- I'm happy with the power of it and think it is perfect for this size skimmer.

Got some new bling in Indy! :D

bling_zpsd9cf566d.jpg

Walking down stairs is a little painful today though, I will admit.

Mhm, whilst you're away it's probably just best to let it be and have no one touch it, at all. XD

Got home this afternoon, and the tank looks happy! The gorgonians are all fluffy and the Caulastrea is the most inflated its been in a long time. My Zoas look happy too since I put them on a DIY frag rack right before I left, so they haven't been buried by my Pistol Shrimp for a few days. (And the sandbed shows that the Shrimp was very busy while we were gone!) The wire coral is the only critter that isn't happier looking. It isn't as fluffy as it was when I left, but got fluffier when I added food to the tank.

As we were driving home from Indianapolis today, my husband asked, "Do you want to stop at any LFS on the way home?" I love him; he is such an enabler! So now I have another hunk of Vietnemese Zoas that are sitting up on my frag rack. :) Pics when they open.

Tonight will be spent unwinding, watching Game of Thrones, and unpacking this things that arrived right before we left...

boxes_zps6e179b16.jpg

FlowerMama

Wow, congrats on your mini-marathon. Yikes, I've felt that pain doing much much less. I don't know anything about Vietnamese zoas. Looking forward to that pic.

I think "Vietnamese Zoas" just refers to colorful Pacific deep-water Zoas. These didn't come with any name, but what I got is a rock covered with what looks like Eagle Eyes and Radioactive Dragon Eyes. By coming without any name, the price was less than $1pp.

natalia_la_loca

Awesome deal on the zoas :) glad to hear your caulastrea is coming around. And congratulations on the marathon!!!!

Archived