SaltCritters.com

Mirya's Mini Garden (Nuvo 8) - Yasha Love Shack

Mirya

Maybe you could use an electric valve to stop the flow out of the ATO so it can't fill when you do a water change. That way you will not need to cut the power to the ATO neccessitating a reset. Here is the one I use http://www.electricsolenoidvalves.com/1-4-120v-ac-electric-plastic-solenoid-valve/

Mike

Hmm, it looks like that solenoid would cut off flow in a float switch type ATO? The AutoAqua is an optical sensor detecting the water level in the back compartment of my AIO. Not sure a solenoid would work for this tank, but it is something I will keep in mind for future tanks!

Meanwhile... just got back from the trip to the LEAR frag swap in Cleveland. Going to go acclimate my purchases! Like my cooler?

cooler_zpse547a5f2.jpg

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, it looks like that solenoid would cut off flow in a float switch type ATO? The AutoAqua is an optical sensor detecting the water level in the back compartment of my AIO. Not sure a solenoid would work for this tank, but it is something I will keep in mind for future tanks!

Meanwhile... just got back from the trip to the LEAR frag swap in Cleveland. Going to go acclimate my purchases! Like my cooler?

cooler_zpse547a5f2.jpg

Ha, I've had one of those now for like 4 yrs, my husband was a transplant patient and awaiting another transplant and a co-worker bought him that. The people at work laughed. I love that lunch box.

The one nem with the torn foot never attached overnight and I found him face down on the rock this morning. I spoke to Adam from Splash Corals, and he gave me some nursing care tips. I moved him to a cup with crushed rock in the bottom so he is sheltered from flow and is encouraged to attach. I'm running with just actinics right now and have the cup up high in the tank. I even offered him some food, but he wasn't interested. At least he isn't gaping his mouth. Adam has promised to make things right if the nem doesn't make it; I've been very happy with his service thus far. (He should have his website up and running in a week he said. Once it is up, he will be a great guy to order from for all you rock flower lovers out there!)

Anyway, here is the injured nem. Isn't he gorgeous?

nursing_zps3636a9aa.jpg

Here is the tear in his foot. I know it is hard to make out the details in an iPhone pic, but you can see he doesn't have a nice round orange foot:

tear_zps14a97292.jpg

And here is the other nem I bought yesterday from Splash Corals too. He happily attached right away, but admittedly is in a less than ideal spot right now. When Sauron is fully extended, this new green one is mostly covered up. I figure either Sauron or the green one will move around to a new location in a few days.

green_zps4b0562c4.jpg

I'm not sure how it's foot got injured. Adam swears he checks the feet as he sets up for the swap and won't sell any with an injured foot. When I bought the nem I didn't check the foot over first. (Newb mistake, now I know better!) He sat in my cooler for a few hours as I checked out the rest of the show, then drove home. It isn't like I was jostling the cooler though. When I got home and popped open the cooler, the green nem was attached to the rubble in the container, the injured one was just floating around. I scooped him out and saw his foot looked like that. :( I put him in my tank, and he never attached. Now that he is sitting in that cup, my fingers are crossed.

One of the members in my local reef club pointed out this video to me. Now I will be a better informed nem purchaser!

Injured nem update. He managed to anchor himself to the rubble I put in his nursery cup. He isn't open much more than he was yesterday, but he did feed when I offered him some thawed rotifers. I gently scooped him and his pile of rubble out of the nursery cup and onto a lowflow area of my rockscape. My fingers are crossed.

Injured nem has settled onto the rockwork He pushed his foot through the rubble he had temp attached to, and is now nicely seated on the rockscape. This morning he was the most open I've seen him. :) I'm going out of town tonight on a short business trip. I hope when I get back all the nems are happy and I can update with some pictures.

Until then, let me share one of the new inverts I picked up over the weekend. I ran out to one of the LFS Sunday to pick up some frozen rotifers and decided I could no longer resist picking up one of these:

PomPom_zps4982a7f3.jpg

Thanks for sharing the video. I want an anemone so bad, but I was worried about the proper care and potential damage from movement. This video really eased my concerns. Looking to add one to my Nano in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing the video. I want an anemone so bad, but I was worried about the proper care and potential damage from movement. This video really eased my concerns. Looking to add one to my Nano in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Glad I could help!

Every time I think I'll take a new FTS to post Sauron (my red tentacled nem) decides he will go on a walk-about. Even though rock flowers are known for "staying put" compared to other nems, Sauron is the exception to the rule. I keep on needing to rearrange the few softie frags I have to get them out of his path.

I half wonder now if I should go back to the MP10 to make my gorgonians happier. I had to toss one of my gorg frags today. It never really opened its polyps and now the flesh on it was looking sad. I had ditched the MP10 initially cause I thought it was pissing off Sauron. Nope, turns out he is just a jerk. Le sigh.

Anyways, Gimpy nem is doing great. I got a nice picture of him yesterday with some of the sexies perched on him. Today Sauron and Zed (the white zebra nem) are both covering Gimpy with their oral disks. I'm glad I got this shot yesterday!

gimp_zps06f7296e.jpg

So, Sauron's Rumspringa continues... Two days ago he decided to move to the glass, and he has stayed there ever since:

rumspringa_zps3a974002.jpg

The sexy shrimp have been sure to swim over to him and give him "neck massages" so that he doesn't feel neglected even though he isn't on the main display rock anymore:

massage_zpsbf835ef0.jpg

(My husband thinks this shot is "indecent" as Sauron is "mooning" us. :lol: )

The other sexy shrimp have been investigating the new gorgonian I got this week. I was in need of some retail therapy and decided to buy this piece that has been at the LFS for weeks. (And I've eyed it every time I've been in over the past few weeks!) I'm not sure what type it is, but I'm assuming it it photosynthetic as it has looked great in their tank and they haven't been feeding it. I think it had sold because it wasn't mounted to a rock, but I was easily able to take care of that. It has delicate tan polyps it extends when the shrimp aren't walking all over it:

newgorg_zps312f2f6c.jpg

Following.. for ideas what to go in the Nuvo 8 I just started..

Didn't think about nems in my 28g but this might be just the place to give one (or more) a try

Thanks Frank!

Initially I had just planned on doing a softie tank with this Nuvo, but I fell in love with the rock flower nems. I never had nems before when I had a 90g cause I was was afraid of them walking around the tank and stinging everything to death. I decided that having a whole bunch of nems in a tank devoted to them would be a good work around. :) (I admit, I look at the bubble tip thread and drool over getting one of those eventually when I get another tank...)

I've toyed with the idea of setting up another Nuvo8 for Z&Ps. I also have an empty Cardiff I want to do hammers and Ricordea in. And a peacock mantis tank sounds cool. Oh so many ideas, so little $$$...

(My husband thinks this shot is "indecent" as Sauron is "mooning" us. :lol: )

Tell him that's the anemone's foot, and that it poops through it's mouth haha

Tell him that's the anemone's foot, and that it poops through it's mouth haha

LOL I have! He did not appreciate learning this tidbit, however. :P

I think he was grossed out by the thought of eating and pooping occurring through the same orifice.

Kinda reminds me of the time that I had to explain the concept of cecotropes to a rabbit owner. After I explained it, he said he never would have allowed his daughter to have adopted the rabbit because he thought that was the most disgusting thing he had ever heard of. Never mind the fact that this guy is a pathologist!

Anyways, in tank news... my sexy shrimp decided to eat some polyps off my gorgonians. :( I guess I need to spot feed them. I had tried giving them Spectrum pellets in the past, but they weren't interested. I've ordered some Omega One Shrimp Pellets, since those will be large enough for me to grab in my tongs to hand them. The Spectrum pellets were too small for me to do that.

BAD sexy shrimp! not a sexy move. you teach 'em!!

Ugh, one of the two nems I bought today (of course the one I loved the most) has a torn foot. Is it a goner?

Hey Mirya- hows this rock flower doing?

Haha people are silly.

And yeah, that's what shrimp do when they're hungry! Those little guys require a surprising amount of food. Is there anything else competing with them for food?

Archived