Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mirya's Mini Garden (Nuvo 8) - Yasha Love Shack

Mirya

Anyways, in tank news... my sexy shrimp decided to eat some polyps off my gorgonians. :( I guess I need to spot feed them. I had tried giving them Spectrum pellets in the past, but they weren't interested. I've ordered some Omega One Shrimp Pellets, since those will be large enough for me to grab in my tongs to hand them. The Spectrum pellets were too small for me to do that.

Ugh! Sexy shrimp....cute and interesting, but little PITA's :).
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mirya- hows this rock flower doing?

We named that nem Gimp and s/he is doing great! After Gimp attached to some gravel in the nursery cup, I moved him to a low flow area of my rockwork. Over the course of two days Gimp slowly worked his foot through the gravel to the rockwork. He moved about an inch from where he initially attached and hasn't moved since. His feeding response is much better now too and I think he has grown a little. So, overall, doing great!

I do see this morning that Sauron moved again overnight and is squishing Gimp. /sigh Sauron stung the crap out of my clove polyps during his wandering yesterday and, and the day before attached his foot over my micro zoanthids. They haven't looked too happy ever since either. I'm starting to contemplate seeing if anyone in my local reef group would be interested in Sauron. He's pretty, but I'm not sure he is worth the hassle.

Should have used multi-quote!

And yeah, that's what shrimp do when they're hungry! Those little guys require a surprising amount of food. Is there anything else competing with them for food?

The sexy's main competition for food are the anemones. I've seen the sexies eat food that the nems have in their tentacles until the nems curl up too much and stuff their tentacles in their mouth. Since the nems are slow moving, I think target feeding the shrimp with pellets should work if the little buggers will recognize the pellets as food.

Speaking of which, I love watched the feeding response of the nems. It always amazes me that something without a skeleton or a centrally organized nervous system can act as they do.

So my husband (who works from home) texted me this picture this morning:

TreeClimbing_zps50d3d44a.jpg

FFS I'm going on my local club forum now to post a listing to find a new home for Sauron. (Or if there is anyone on these forums in the Columbus, OH region who is interested, let me know!

LOL!

I'd take him off your hand if I wasn't all the way in jersey haha

I'm guessing it's because he wanders too much? lol

Worked out some trades with my local reef club for Sauron and my piece of blue Sympodium. Yes, I'm going to trade Sauron because of all his wanderlust. The Sympodium hasn't been happy with how I've played musical chairs with it to avoid Sauron during his roaming. (And, I've decided I'd rather have the space it is taking up for another nem!) So, in the next few days I'll be getting some Sith Lord Palys and Halimeda in trade.

This weekend I'm doing a road trip to visit Tidal Gardens. They have some rock flower nems with amazing crossbars on their tentacles:

img_6769-2.jpg

I'm going to pick up one of those and then see what else I'm tempted by. I'll try to update some FTS by Sunday night!

That's a beauty, I've not seen much of crossbars myself at all.

Well, apparently I have 4 right now that do, I didn't realize until I looked. Seems they develop as they get larger because I know for sure 1 or 2 of these did not have them when they were smaller just a bit ago. That one in the picture is really pronounced though, it's gorgeous.

This morning I woke up to find Sauron in the gorgonian again. So, I devised a jail for him using my Reef Gently AccliMate. A member of my local reef club will be picking him up hopefully this weekend.

Jail_zpsa3e73b5e.jpg

My poor gorgonian. Between the sexy shrimp going NOM NOM NOM on them and Sauron climbing them and stinging them, they are getting pretty beat up.

Steensj2004

This morning I woke up to find Sauron in the gorgonian again. So, I devised a jail for him using my Reef Gently AccliMate. A member of my local reef club will be picking him up hopefully this weekend.

Jail_zpsa3e73b5e.jpg

My poor gorgonian. Between the sexy shrimp going NOM NOM NOM on them and Sauron climbing them and stinging them, they are getting pretty beat up.

Love your Yasha. Mine somehow got between the lid and the side of the tank last weekend.... :(

Love your Yasha. Mine somehow got between the lid and the side of the tank last weekend.... :(

:tears:

Was it the glass lid that comes with the Nuvos or did you do a custom screen lid? I've always looked at that little gap with the glass lid and wondered if a fish could slip through.

In other news... All my potential buyers for Sauron have been waffling, so he is still sitting in jail. So, now new FTS yet with that ugly jail cel sitting front and center. I did get a new nem over the weekend, the fancy tentacled one I posted about earlier. He's handsome so I look forward to sharing some pictures.

Steensj2004

:tears:

Was it the glass lid that comes with the Nuvos or did you do a custom screen lid? I've always looked at that little gap with the glass lid and wondered if a fish could slip through.

In other news... All my potential buyers for Sauron have been waffling, so he is still sitting in jail. So, now new FTS yet with that ugly jail cel sitting front and center. I did get a new nem over the weekend, the fancy tentacled one I posted about earlier. He's handsome so I look forward to sharing some pictures.

Stock lid <_< , I always wondered the same thing but thought,"No way." I was wrong :( , got the stuff to make a screen lid to remove gaps last night. You can buy the screen track, and corner connectors for a few bucks at any DIY store like Lowes. I already had plastic mesh screen from my old tank. I will be making a new lid tonight.

Beautiful Nems,I need to get one or two for my sexy shrimp :) . I rarely see them for sale around here, and am afraid to order anything live online(especially with the weather).

Sounds like making a new lid is in my future then. I'd be devastated if something happened to my Yasha.

I do have a pic of my new nem... and my Yasha is peeking out from around the corner:

NewNem_zpsc383daa0.jpg

I really do wonder if this is a different species or subspecies from P. crucifer - the standard rock flower anemone. This anemone has spots on the column, much longer tentacles, and of course has the amazing fringe on the tentacles. I think he is awesomely cool looking, and find it a little weird that the few places I've seen these sold at, have them much cheaper than standard rocks flowers. Oh well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. And, I'm not going to complain about not paying a lot for something in this hobby!

My cousin has a couple of those. To me the central design w/ the lines going out reminds me of the duncan but then the longer crossbar tentacles are awesome.

I do have a pic of my new nem... and my Yasha is peeking out from around the corner:

NewNem_zpsc383daa0.jpg

I really do wonder if this is a different species or subspecies from P. crucifer - the standard rock flower anemone. This anemone has spots on the column, much longer tentacles, and of course has the amazing fringe on the tentacles.

OK, as best as I can tell from my Google-fu, this is indeed a different species than Phymanthus crucifer, aka the rock flower anemone which is from the Caribbean. This other species is Phymanthus buitendijki, which is from the Indo-Pacific. There is an interesting backstory to this anemone. Eric Borneman got the anemone as a hitchhiker on some live rock (that was most likely from the Marshall Islands) in 1994. Unlike P. crucifer which sexually reproduces, P. buitendijki asexually reproduces by pedal laceration. Eric had his anemone split several times and distributed the clones. As a result, this anemone now has the common name Borneman Anemone. Eric described the history here.

It's a Born-Again enemy! not quite, but you know it's funny how many people can't say the word. Funny it's to a guy named Borne man. It was born man!!! again and again, just by pedal laceration dude!

I went to another frag swap today -- this one was the Western Ohio Reef Club Frag Swap in Dayton. You know that phrase "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach"? Well I think I should say my eyes are bigger than my tank! Today I picked up another rock flower anemone, two frags of zoanthids, a Florida Ricordea, a frag of Cespitularia, some dragon's breath macroalgae, and was given some free heads of green trumpet coral. I did manage to sell Sauron, my orange tentacled trouble-maker anemone at least. But still, the tank is crowded! I may have to sell/trade something else. Also, I don't think Borneman was too impressed with me mucking around in the tank because he made this funny face at me:

Nipply_zps000fd133.jpg

Also at the swap, I managed to win two things from the raffle, a sample pack of Prodibio BioKit and some Reef Suds!

raffle_zpsc698dca7.jpg

Nice prizes. I have that soap. I keep on a tray at my kitchen sink and use it before going in the tanks.

And your rock flower does a great impression of a nipple! :P That I've never seen.

OK, even though I just "complained" in my last post that my tank is crowded, I just placed an order with VIP Reef! omgomgomg

I miss the big splash of orange Sauron added to the tank. And, I've been drooling over Frank's nems ever since Gena and 1stimereefer pointed me in his direction. I undoubtedly will have to do some serious re-arranging and maybe sell/give away my palys and some of the macroalgae, but I'm pretty sure I can make it work. The delivery comes on Wednesday, so I have time to plan.

This is what's coming:

IMG_9269__95394.1396133110.1280.1280.jpgIMG_9204__15589.1395958080.1280.1280.jpgDSC_0047__97413.1396141632.1280.1280.jpg

OK, even though I just "complained" in my last post that my tank is crowded, I just placed an order with VIP Reef! omgomgomg

I miss the big splash of orange Sauron added to the tank. And, I've been drooling over Frank's nems ever since Gena and 1stimereefer pointed me in his direction. I undoubtedly will have to do some serious re-arranging and maybe sell/give away my palys and some of the macroalgae, but I'm pretty sure I can make it work. The delivery comes on Wednesday, so I have time to plan.

This is what's coming:

IMG_9269__95394.1396133110.1280.1280.jpg

WANT. :wub:

WANT. :wub:

LOL Yes! What started as a "I think I will browse VIP Reef and drool" daydream turned into a "HOLY ^&*(^&*( MUST PLACE ORDER NOW" when I saw that exact nem.

Love that one! I was debating it since I saw it but my current tank already has enough orange and red in it. I'm glad you got it, I don't think it would've lasted too long.

And the 2nd one looks exactly like the one I have in my tank right now. You're going to love it.

That last one looks like peppermint candy. How pretty.

It may help to put some on the sand. Esp if they start walking about. Now my big mama I had vertical in my Evolve, her foot was down behind/between the rock and she loved it there. Hooray, I'm super excited for you. Wish they were coming to my house. I need to focus on putting together my breeding tank and letting those in the 34 grow. They'll be on top of each other when they fill in.

Archived