Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dpolt's Mixed Reef Tank. (New Shark Diving Pictures).

dpoltsdsu

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very nice tank. how are you keeping the GSP and xenia in check?

The GSP grows vertically for the most part and I suspect it is actually a type of Briarium, so that coral isn't too much of an issue. The Xenia, however, is kind of a nightmare to deal with. I have to trim it constantly to keep it in check. I do really like the look and movement of it though so I keep it around.

Very beautiful tank and i love those zoas!

Thank you, I'm a big Zoanthid fan as you can tell

The Tailspot Blenny enjoying its Montipora perch. This guy has been one of the best fish that I have ever owned. It's always active, has great coloring, is not aggressive at all, and it eats absolutely everything. You can see the fat belly on this picture pretty well

po4Kjg0.jpg

The Tailspot Blenny enjoying its Montipora perch. This guy has been one of the best fish that I have ever owned. It's always active, has great coloring, is not aggressive at all, and it eats absolutely everything. You can see the fat belly on this picture pretty well

po4Kjg0.jpg

WHOA! Nice Fish and Great Pic!

Here are some coral progression pictures. I think this is one of the many reasons to take a lot of pictures of your reef. It's very interesting to see how far some of the coral has come!

Today I'm going to show some of the SPS species in my tank. I know these aren't the most difficult SPS to keep, but I'm still happy with the growth I have gotten.

Montipora Setosa - August 2015

nJ1v9yC.jpg

Montipora Setosa - March 2016

fSo31Gq.jpg

D3vAPnQ.jpg

Montipora Digitata - August 2015

aC2qRnr.jpg

Montipora Digitata - March 2016

ILx67d4.jpg

Purple Birdsnest - August 2015

UtLaCFk.jpg

Purple Birdsnest - March 2016

oUR3yPE.jpg

Neon Green Birdsnest - August 2015

i9xymQD.jpg

Neon Green Birdsnest - March 2016

wL48qJf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update

4-24-16

After a while of not adding anything too interesting to the tank, I ended up buying a very unique invertebrate..

Enter my new Harlequin Shrimp.

s4YWulJ.jpg

I got the shrimp to get rid of my out of control Asterina Starfish population. The shrimp has been in the tank for about 2 weeks and I can already see some progress.

Here is an updated FTS. As you can see, not much has changed with the scape or anything. I'm really enjoying the tank and all the coral/fish/inverts seem to be doing really well!

98uOR46.jpg

The Neon Green Birdsnest and Montipora Digitata are starting to grow into eachother but it doesn't look like a whole lot of damage is being done. Does anyone know how powerful the stings are on these corals?

dpoltsdsu

Some pictures of the Wrasse! This fish has been fantastic. While many of the individuals of the Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse species are very shy, mine is one of the most active fish in the tank. It eats everything I put in the reef and it is constantly going in and out of the rocks looking for pods. Its movement has been very similar to that of a 6 line wrasse, minus any aggression issues. Here are a couple of pictures; as you can see, it has been eating quite well.

JTGvLDC.jpg

uBV1Ujr.jpg

dpoltsdsu

Nice fat fish. My possum was shy but did not hide.

How long did you have the fish for? I personally think they are great and should be considered in more nanos

Archived