Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dpolt's Mixed Reef Tank. (New Shark Diving Pictures).

dpoltsdsu

That sounds really awesome. Thanks for the info.

I live in a little Venice -ype community and we are bayside The closest fishing spot is a preservation mangrove island chain. I'll definitely test some of the water. I have a close friend whose mother started breeding/ harvesting (not sure if this is the right word) sea horses in her retirement. She even helps to stock Mote Marine Sea Labs Everything is in her tanks is local ; I'm not sure that it is legal, but she is too wealthy and too "old" to really give a ******* about FWC.

Does she use the water from that spot? Also, are there a lot of boats in that area?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big update for the RSM 130

12-19-15

As my tang began to get bigger, I made the decision to sell it. I caught the tang yesterday and sold it a local hobbyist that put it in a large reef tank.

To replace the tang, I have ordered a variety of fish. I wanted a variety of small nano fish with different behavior and I think I will have a good diversity of fish in the tank now.

I ordered a:

Royal Gramma- This fish will provide a burst of bright colors in the tank that will make the tank pop at first glance.

Tailspot Blenny- This fish will swim and perch along the rockwork which will make the aquascape more dynamic. This fish also provides a bit of a buffer against algae

Pajama Cardinal- The Cardinal will always be out and about and therefore makes the tank a bit more lively.

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse- This provides the tank with an interesting free swimming fish that will be in and out of the rock work. This is a good contrast compared to the other fish because they generally will hover in the water column. The wrasse also provides a bit of a buffer against a variety of pests.

I have already received the Tailspot Blenny and it has already settled in a cave and begun exploring the tank

yuCKlux.jpg

I also noticed that the Cleaner Shrimp was underweight when I first got it so I have started spot feeding it large chunks of Mysis. The shrimp has already gained a lot of weight and looks a lot better.

cVJ62fp.jpg

I'll post some pictures of the new arrivals once they come in

Does she use the water from that spot? Also, are there a lot of boats in that area?

She lives about an hour south. But we both have a fair amount of boat traffic, but all 15-22' personal fishing boats. The average depth of Tampa Bay is 4.5', which is pretty crazy since we have a really deep shipping channel and large port.

The new fish additions have gone very well. All of the fish including the Possum Wrasse have been seen eating. The only fish that has not been eating my frozen food is the Tailspot Blenny. However, the Blenny has been much more active in the tank today and I can see it eating a lot of film algae off the glass so I think it will begin to eat with the other fish soon. There also hasn't been any aggression problems at all which is nice. I believe this is because multiple fish were added at the same time.

The biggest surprise so far with the new fish has been the Possum Wrasse. The fish has been hanging around the water column since day 2. It doesn't do it all the time but I thought it would take this notoriously shy fish months to be brave enough to display this behavior

Here are some pictures of the new additions

Pajama Cardinal

dx6ZI99.jpg

Royal Gramma

G7xMMkb.jpg

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse

bLNoiOO.jpg

uofNi50.jpg

A new camera may be in my future so hopefully my pictures get better soon!

And now in a matter of about 10 minutes, the Tailspot Blenny has turned in to an absolute pig and is now eating Formula 1 pellets, Mysis, Nori, and is even trying to eat bubbles in the tank that float up. That means all of the new fish in the reef are now eating and one step closer to being established. What a good feeling

Nice updates, tailspots are so comical- total photo bombers. Interested to see how your possum wrasse does - it's on my short list of fish to get. Hope he does well for you. Do you have many pods?

Nice updates, tailspots are so comical- total photo bombers. Interested to see how your possum wrasse does - it's on my short list of fish to get. Hope he does well for you. Do you have many pods?

Just made my list!

The wrasse has been doing fantastic. It is quite active and swims in the water column even though I know this is not the norm for this fish. I have quite a bit of pods and I can see the wrasse picking them off the rocks throughout the day. It's eating Mysis as well which is great. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it continues to do well

Just made my list!

Good choice!!

Update

12-27-15

The tank is doing very well. The SPS are starting to grow faster which is nice. I put an Acropora in the tank to see if it would do well and it has started to encrust which is awesome.

Here is a FTS. I'm pretty happy with how this tank is coming along!

aNHAhhO.jpg

All of the new fish have settled down nicely. None of them have shown any signs of stress or disease and they are all eating well in the water column.

Here are pictures of all the fish in the tank:

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (This fish is hard to photograph as it hates the camera).

dmMDTsU.jpg

Clownfish

kEJeSBD.jpg

MyDPcvE.jpg

Royal Gramma

kqq0wPt.jpg

Yellow Watchman Goby

sZxEV8Q.jpg

Pajama Cardinal

dx6ZI99.jpg

Tailspot Blenny

iHePByl.jpg

All of the new fish have settled down nicely. None of them have shown any signs of stress or disease and they are all eating well in the water column.

Here are pictures of all the fish in the tank:

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (This fish is hard to photograph as it hates the camera).

Clownfish

Royal Gramma

Yellow Watchman Goby

Pajama Cardinal

Tailspot Blenny

iHePByl.jpg

Can't wait to pick up a TSB in February. I'm on purchase lockdown (self-imposed) for one month. Ha!

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to pick up a TSB in February. I'm on purchase lockdown (self-imposed) for one month. Ha!

You'll love the Blenny when you get it. Such a great little fish

Went to the LFS yesterday and got an incredible deal on a beautiful Derasa Clam. I put it on the sand in a high light and medium flow area in the tank. It's open today and looks really good. I really hope it does well. This is my first clam so this should be a good learning experience.

Picture of the Clam!

fJacxSP.jpg

Looking spectacular. Are going to come to the SDMAS meeting on the 27th? Did you get the possum wrasse at Aquatic Warehouse? It looks familiar.... haha.

Looking spectacular. Are going to come to the SDMAS meeting on the 27th? Did you get the possum wrasse at Aquatic Warehouse? It looks familiar.... haha.

I actually got it in Orange County, I had my eye on the Aquatic Warehouse one though haha.

And yes I do plan on going to the meeting that day!

Tank update 1-12-16

The reef is doing very well. I think this is the most I have enjoyed the hobby in the three years I have been in it. Everything is healthy and growing and the fish are all eating very well and getting along with each other.

The Derasa clam seems to be doing well so far as well.

The only other change was to add an arch connecting the two rock structures. I want the top to grow my Birdsnest coral and the base of the rock to be covered in Zoanthids much like the rest of my rock work. It will take a while but I think the end result will look really good.

The reef is really starting to grow in and look mature. I have been really pleased on how the coral has grown over the last six months or so. It is really interesting to see the stability and functionality of this mature reef compared to when this tank was new.

Here are some pictures

OU076m3.png?2

1LhXuS4.jpg?1

gCQ9UvJ.png?1

3AA9WEA.jpg?1

I actually got it in Orange County, I had my eye on the Aquatic Warehouse one though haha.

And yes I do plan on going to the meeting that day!

Cool, I'll be there with my daughter. Should be fun. They have some decent prizes to raffle.

Before my last semester started up, I wanted to take a trip up the Pacific Coast Highway. It was fantastic and I think everyone from California should do it at least once. I've been researching how to take better pictures as well and I am pretty happy with some of the shots I got on the way up. I also was able to stop by the Monterey Bay Aquarium along the way which was absolutely incredible.

A74iWFf.jpg

QSegEXL.jpg

wmOKGWI.jpg

CcpgPqe.jpg

uii6OhB.jpg

Spmx7dy.jpg

Archived