Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dpolt's Mixed Reef Tank. (New Shark Diving Pictures).

dpoltsdsu

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I would like to thank one of the most under-appreciated inverts in the hobby, the Conch. My Conch is one of the longest tenured inhabitants of my reef and has been with me for almost 3 years. It has been with me through three different tanks and survived my initial beginner mistakes.

This Conch has always kept my sand-bed looking nice and white by stirring it up and eating algae and detritus. I think Conches are very unique and hardy additions to reef tanks and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a good sand bed cleaner.

So cheers to you, Conch.

aRrkPsz.jpg

Cool, I'll be there with my daughter. Should be fun. They have some decent prizes to raffle.

Will be there also. Thats a new LFS i havent checked out yet it should be fun night.

Update:

January 23rd, 2016

The tank is trucking along and doing well. All of the corals and fish seem to be doing well. I did my monthly "trim of the Xenia" so the Zoas and SPS can get more light. The tank shows its colors better when there is not Xenia absolutely everywhere.

pL4L8Ac.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

Update

January 31, 2016

The reef continues to do well. The Montipora Digitata is encrusting like crazy as you will see in the two top-down shots. I'm really looking forward to when the SPS start to really fill out the top of the tank.

Here is a FTS and a couple top down shots

8ygDwIm.png?1

gBLGzh5.png?1

IrqK7kt.png?1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update

February 27th, 2016

The reef continues to prosper. I have been lucky enough to not have a major problem in quite awhile. The Zoanthid garden has now completely filled in the rocks and there in nowhere else for them to grow now. One colony has even started to grow on the glass. The Neon Green Birdsnest has really taken off and is starting to grow at a very fast rate. I have broken some pieces off and started to make frags so hopefully the coral continues to do well.

The fish are also happy and fat. I'm really pleased about my fish selection. There has been no aggression at all and there is a good variety of colors, swimming level, and behavior.

Here are a couple pictures that showcase the reef. The over the top view in particular really showcases the amount the tank has filled in in my opinion. I hope everyone is doing well.

FTS

ODKJ4wX.png

Over the top view

bzwxI85.png

Clownfish

KXNsZeA.jpg

Love your tank! It looks like its in pristine condition! I don't think I've seen some as healthy looking as yours on the forum. :wizard:

Thank you, I really appreciate that!

wicked looking tank! love it.

Thank you!

I love all the new photos you've posted. Your tank is looking as awesome as ever!

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Today I would like to thank one of the most under-appreciated inverts in the hobby, the Conch. My Conch is one of the longest tenured inhabitants of my reef and has been with me for almost 3 years. It has been with me through three different tanks and survived my initial beginner mistakes.

This Conch has always kept my sand-bed looking nice and white by stirring it up and eating algae and detritus. I think Conches are very unique and hardy additions to reef tanks and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a good sand bed cleaner.

So cheers to you, Conch.

aRrkPsz.jpg

Are there any conches that would be happy in a 10gallon? I like how theywalk around punching things.

Are there any conches that would be happy in a 10gallon? I like how theywalk around punching things.

The conch I have, the "Tiger Conch," did very well in my old 14 gallon which has less floor room than a 10 gallon so it would be ok in my opinion. Just make sure you have sand.

I may have missed this, but what light do you use?

I use a ReefBreeders Photon 24.

It's been great

A shot of some of the different coral in the tank. You can see soft coral, LPS, and some of the SPS.

rYNtsVR.jpg

The Clam I bought a while ago also appears to be doing well. I'm hoping it stays healthy past the 6 month mark!

mKTNTUU.png

Was doing a water change today and took some "over the reef" shots while the pumps were off and the water was still. I'm pretty happy with the coral color and growth. The Green Birdsnest Coral is really starting to look like a colony!

Derasa Clam

Xxuq5S8.jpg

Duncan Coral colony

H1zavJf.jpg

SPS and Zoanthids

kPVVF6x.jpg

Green Birdsnest

wL48qJf.jpg

General over the top shot.

xZVzyph.jpg

Hope everyone's tanks are doing well!

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a bit of a break from Orange County and spending the weekend in Vegas! We got pretty lucky with this view..

t0lCEKF.jpg

I'll post some reef related pictures when I get back!

Archived