SaltCritters.com

SquishyFishy's BioCube Planet

SquishyFishy

Yeah, that was a Jewel Damsel not a juvi yellow tail. That's what a search turns up anyways. He got his Royal Gramma mixed up with a Fairy Basslet too. But yes, a beautiful vid.

Yes, the Pearly only lasted a week or so. Thank goodness the little demon is gone, tank is much more peaceful now. I may even get another Gramma, I miss him.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I miss mine too. She died in the bucket that had Gertie, the macro, Gena's toadstool, water got to 68 and someone said they didn't feel it was the water being that cold however it was absolutely fine all previous days and Gertie and she coexisted beautifully.

Thanks guys, funny you should just now comment...I was sitting in front of it admiring it a couple minutes ago feeling very pleased with it, decided to make this known and you were on here...LOL. Do you do that? Just sit and stare....Sometimes life is so hectic I barely look, just going through the motions of caring for the tank in as thorough and quick a manner as I can...not really just staring and admiring. It's such an awesome hobby. And our little mini universes are so lovely! Just noticed several new Bounce babies underneath the teenager...love how they just grow and grow!

Ya'll have a great day! Gonna go around and look at all the latest FTS for this week.

Here is a very neat video from YouTube you may enjoy:

We are cruising in April and will be at this very place. You can identify so many of our corals in this.

We are so lucky as reefers with our wonderful lights to see ALL the colors.

I know I do that sometimes, just sit and stare into my tank. Its one of life's pleasures and gives me a sense of peace and well being,(at least when things are going well in the reef!).

Thanks guys, funny you should just now comment...I was sitting in front of it admiring it a couple minutes ago feeling very pleased with it, decided to make this known and you were on here...LOL. Do you do that? Just sit and stare....Sometimes life is so hectic I barely look, just going through the motions of caring for the tank in as thorough and quick a manner as I can...not really just staring and admiring. It's such an awesome hobby. And our little mini universes are so lovely! Just noticed several new Bounce babies underneath the teenager...love how they just grow and grow!

Ya'll have a great day! Gonna go around and look at all the latest FTS for this week.

Here is a very neat video from YouTube you may enjoy:

We are cruising in April and will be at this very place. You can identify so many of our corals in this.

We are so lucky as reefers with our wonderful lights to see ALL the colors.

I'm making a mental note to watch this video when I have more time :). Thanks for sharing it!

What have you decided about your rebuild Annette? Can't wait to see it.

I'm going to repaint the back of the 40g white and have white crushed coral, Dave from Nano Box is coming through my area in 2 wks and said he can bring me the light. So we've been talking. Now I have to look into flow.

• 1 month later...
SquishyFishy

All right, here is a video taken with our new GOPRO 4 Session...too Cool!

GOPR9737-M.jpg

OOPS forgot to turn off the skimmer!

All right, here is a video taken with our new GOPRO 4 Session...too Cool!

GOPR9737-M.jpg

OOPS forgot to turn off the skimmer!

That was way cool!!!! What's the bubbly mushroom????? omgomgomg I don't remember you having that or have the bubbles just gotten huge????? I'm really curious about that..it's awesome!!!!! Where'd you find that?

I loved being so close, walking around the corner like a crab and having a bta in my face and seeing the tunnels. Beautifl top down. And yes, what were those two big white things? Bounce? If so I've just never seen a bubble that enormous, but then again, I didn't know there are mushrooms that get to be the size of dinner plates either.

SquishyFishy

Yes, bounce mushroom, rackin my brain to remember where I got it... local lfs that's it. It was the size of a pencil eraser when I bought it sometime maybe last January??? And it promptly spun off a baby which you can see in the vid. Those bubbles are always huge after lights on.

The chalice has just exploded, I chopped off a piece from the skirt but the snails kept knocking it off the rock, don't know where it is. I made it a little stem out of clay and then I have this mini frag holders of lucite that are on the back wall and the stem fits in there (also did that with the torch who just got too un-neighborly for everyone) but it got so topheavy I had to fashion a little wooden stay out of a clothespin that holds the skirt to the wall. But it still needs to be fragged...but so gorgeous I hate to do that.

Thanks for the compliments. This camera is the bomb and cheap really at $199 right now. We are cruising April 24th and I have the new full face snorkel mask with a gopro mount on it so will be videoing my snorkels...will be sure to post here.

SquishyFishy

Thank you so much, tank is 2+ years old now...no room for more corals without too much touching so I am done for now. Unless I go up..................................................I still have the option of my friends 235gal. tank with fish(no coral) and all the stuff, even a RODI unit for very little money....but no place to put it no matter how temping! She wants to sell it but its been 2 years now with no takers. She even has a company maintaining it and they can't even help her get rid of it.

It came with the house she bought, she really is not a reefer, all she does is feed the fish and scrape the glass a little. But it is built into the wall and has its own equipment closet in her library.

Thank you so much, tank is 2+ years old now...no room for more corals without too much touching so I am done for now. Unless I go up..................................................I still have the option of my friends 235gal. tank with fish(no coral) and all the stuff, even a RODI unit for very little money....but no place to put it no matter how temping! She wants to sell it but its been 2 years now with no takers. She even has a company maintaining it and they can't even help her get rid of it.

It came with the house she bought, she really is not a reefer, all she does is feed the fish and scrape the glass a little. But it is built into the wall and has its own equipment closet in her library.

Damn...235 g is HUGE. I bet it does take some real estate in the house...Can't imagine.

Yes, bounce mushroom, rackin my brain to remember where I got it... local lfs that's it. It was the size of a pencil eraser when I bought it sometime maybe last January??? And it promptly spun off a baby which you can see in the vid. Those bubbles are always huge after lights on.

The chalice has just exploded, I chopped off a piece from the skirt but the snails kept knocking it off the rock, don't know where it is. I made it a little stem out of clay and then I have this mini frag holders of lucite that are on the back wall and the stem fits in there (also did that with the torch who just got too un-neighborly for everyone) but it got so topheavy I had to fashion a little wooden stay out of a clothespin that holds the skirt to the wall. But it still needs to be fragged...but so gorgeous I hate to do that.

Thanks for the compliments. This camera is the bomb and cheap really at $199 right now. We are cruising April 24th and I have the new full face snorkel mask with a gopro mount on it so will be videoing my snorkels...will be sure to post here.

That's the nicest bounce I've ever seen. I love the color of it!!!! If you ever have too many babies from it I'd love to buy one from you. It's so unique looking!!!!!

I'm really looking forward to seeing your gopro snorkeling trip pics. Hey, how's the potato diet? I"m not doing good at all this time keeping to my paleo one. I mess up on the weekend when I haven't prepared.

SquishyFishy

I sat down today with my mag glasses and really inspected everything and I DO have 2 new Bounce babies! They are teensy though, about pencil eraser or smaller yet. When they get bigger I will consider letting you have one. :closedeyes:

Then I noticed one of my blue mushrooms is starting to separate into 2! Has anyone ever seen this??? I thought they just spawned babies out, but this one now has another mouth and there is a line of sorts starting to appear...I'll get Todd to take a pic so I can post this. I just didn't know they divided like that.

As for the potatoes.....meh...got too boring.....I have resigned myself almost to the fact that at my age, being realistic, its just not gonna happen..... Way too hard now with a slowing metabolism and post menopause. Just can't stay on a diet long enough without some weight loss to motivate me. It's like I can starve and nothing! :(

• 3 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Wild Weird and Wonderful

So today scraping the glass came across a bit of tissue on the front glass right at the gravel line, put on my magnifying specs and lo and behold a sea star has appeared...the thing only has 3 legs but could clearly identify it by its walking feet on its underside. Here is the only pic I could get, and Todd has to help me with the gopro.

10e4oev.jpg

Keep in mind there hasn't been a star in the tank for at least 9 months or so! It just appeared, haven't added anything to the tank either for hitching. How bizarro is that?

ok he crawled out onto the gravel this one is clearer. Looks like an Asterina but where did it come from??????

wri5uq.jpg

I guess he was living somewhere in the rock for all this time...like a living dinosaur rising from the mud LOLOL!

Could have came in on a new frag as well. They can be itty bitty little "frags" of the starfish but they will grow. I have them now too.

Just love this hobby. You can be entertained by something you never saw over the course of your tank's life. It's just always fun. God knows what I'll have here.

• 2 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Wow now I've got 2! AND I found 2 little things that close up when I shine the flashlight on them. They look like barnacles.

• 3 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Just got back from our cruise, it was fine. This video was taken at Goff's Caye Belize. I was so excited I could barely hold the GoPro still. Angels, Wrasses, Tangs, Damsels and mostly antler and chalice corals with brain and gorgs....so exciting. Don't worry, we didn't step on anything. Our first try with the GoPro underwater, we learned a lot, the tilt was all wrong on the stick, next time will be better

Archived