SaltCritters.com

SquishyFishy's BioCube Planet

SquishyFishy

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd parooze over and check out the build thread, really nice looking setup, Welcome to club cube! Lots of room for corals and more sticks! looking forward to a photo-bomb of all the corals. Working on a ric garden?

Yes, rics for sure...need a super blue and a red. And my bucket list contains Spiral Wire if I could ever source it!

Just ordered 2 mini mag frag shelves so I can hang my Monti and maybe a Stylo on the back wall...I admire your's so much!

Thanks for visiting....so far the only thing drawback to the cube is facing the dang lights every time I open the cover....and then ya can't see to the bottom too well. O well, there's always something....

Ha! Guess what? Gimpy made it! Crawled out of the rock today...and appears he's just fine maybe a bit hungry so I put an algae clip in with some seaweed. Yay Sea Star!

Now if the other 2 sexies would appear, it would make my day....meaning NO LOSSES from the catastrophe!

Ya know, I wish I could just have one uneventful month where nothing happens!

Knocked over the rock bridge and broke a branch off my birds nest. Well so stuck it in a crack and fragged it. O.K. but the nem was so stressed out, he crawled into a teensy hole, nobody that doesn't reef would believe the big beautiful nem in the pic I posted a couple pages back, could ever get into a hole that teensy. I mean it looks about the size of a dime and the picture of him is about like a DVD disc!

I think he'll come out eventually, I see a few tentacles coming out, but dang...I have tried putty with glue without glue and every thing in between and I cant get these rocks to stay together. UGGGGGGHHHHHHH :angry:

Oh my gosh, yeah, if it isn't one thing it is ALWAYS another. Yeah, I didn't realize the nem could shrink that much, I assumed quarter-size maybe.

SquishyFishy

I have also been looking for all the brittle stars that were in my rock. Their little arms disappeared from the rocks right after I put them in the new tank. There was a bit of a ph swing and there are no more tentacles sticking out....I have watched for days for them to appear and I mean I had maybe 10 or 12 of these little guys....loved them. If they died, why no evidence of it...nitrites/nitrates are 0.

I know they are subject to ph. I hope they eventually appear. :( Do wrasses eat those....maybe the new guy?

Pinner Reef

I doubt they've died, they're pretty tough little guys. I've never heard of wrasses eating them but I wouldn't put it past him either. They're probably just laying low. You probably wouldn't have seen a param spike either.

SquishyFishy

Found another star....

Perception......from one reefer to another, the joy of this hobby is the wonder of life....life will find a way!

So fascinating to see what sea creatures can do to survive. Sorry to be so sappy and dweeby, but it is sweet..... :wub:

Glad to hear they're showing themselves. And it's not sappy. Sometimes when you have enough losses and tank problems, it's the littlest things that give you faith again...in life even. I know I understand.

SquishyFishy

Annette, I am examining Calk/Alk and I'd like to know what you do about that in your tanks. Not sure I have room for dosers.

I just started using, the last month, Seachem's Reef Fusion 1 & 2 liquids. Says to use every 2 days but I forget so I try to remember once a week. My levels aren't bad, just think they can be better. And I've been lazy at doing water changes. Right now I'm averaging once a month for my 4 tanks and that's the exact reason why I decided to use it. 4 tanks. It's like $8 a bottle and for my 34 gallon it's one capful of each. I'm much better from Spring through Fall when it's warmer and keeping the door open while I empty 5 gallon buckets of dirty water isn't as much of an issue. I have though already seen improvement in my corals. The red on my monti looks brighter for example and it looks like it's thicker.

SquishyFishy

Thanks, I think I'll try it. I have also been slacking, every 2 weeks since I have to do 5 gal now. I do not own a Calk/Alk test kit though. I was just using Essential Elements in between my weekly changes, but I was only doing 3 gal with the smaller tank.

Final scape....I have a great new arch now and positioned the toadstool so you look through it and see him

New%20scape-L.jpg

side-L.jpg

close%20up-M.jpg

Now I have loads of room, and sides to decorate! Definitely have room for flower nems, now Annette :wub:

Looks like you made delicious lemonade with those lemons :D. Gorgeous re-do. Sorry for the stress you had to deal with :flower:.

I'm only testing like once every 2 wks since I'm not doing anything different from one week to another. My calcium test is Salifert, my Alkalinity (carbonate hardness) test kit is API. I know if I kept up w/ water changes that's all I probably need to do since it's not a tank that has but one sps in it. I don't want to go off on the deep end and feel like I have to check everything all the time and get bent out of shape if I'm touch above or below the recommended reading.

Just checked my calcium is 430 (ideal 425-450) and my alkalinity is 5, so that part is low, should be 8-12. I just added the two chemicals so when I come back later from the dentist. I'll let ya know what it changed it to. I last did a 30% water change 3 wks ago. I'll also check on Fri and see where it stands and let you know. I personally don't want to have to deal w/ dosers or measuring mg each day, etc. I'd rather throw in a capful twice a week if that takes care of it.

Ok, back from dentist. My calcium went from 430 to 450 and alk went from 5-7. My pH is 7.9 and that is ok. So, you can see what it does.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

SquishyFishy

Thank you both, that's high praise from you Gena. I am proud of what I've accomplished in 1 year....and it flew by. The next year I'm going to dedicate myself to better husbandry and water quality.

And I want you to know my success is all owed to you all here on Nano-Reef! The 2 part is on the truck, just got the email.

Thank you both, that's high praise from you Gena. I am proud of what I've accomplished in 1 year....and it flew by. The next year I'm going to dedicate myself to better husbandry and water quality.

And I want you to know my success is all owed to you all here on Nano-Reef! The 2 part is on the truck, just got the email.

My goal too Squishy- to be more consistent w/ my water changes so I don't have to dose.

SquishyFishy

I'm having a bit of a problem with my zoas, maybe the move, they just are madder than heck and won't open, they were so big and pretty before the catastrophe. Any ideas? Still waiting on the 2 part, maybe they'll improve!

• 1 month later...
SquishyFishy

HA! Haven't posted in so long I had to sign in! LOL! Just checking in to say everything is fine. Guess who crawled out of the rock tonite? Red Knobby Star, I call him gimpy. All is good except for the tunicates or they are called. They have exponentially exploded and are starting to cover everything...even in amongst the mat of the GSP. I don't know how they come out but they seem to get through the mass of tunicate and are O.K. But I wish I could get those out, any ideas??? The purple coralline is starting to come on strong now after a year and 4 months! Has to be from the dosing.

Hope everyone's Easter was hoppy! LOL!

Notice an improvement with the zoas after getting the 2-part? My z's and p's definitely love a high alk level :).

I think we need a new FTS :flower:.

Archived