Cultivated Reef

Awpong's 50g Cube - Long Overdue Update

awpong

It might be a while before they spawn. The male is interested but the female isn't returning the favor. Your on the right track though. When they start to ascend upward together in the water column, then you'll start to see eggs drift to the surface.

Yea, he's still trying to woo her haha. He put on a little show for her tonight, but she still isn't too interested.

Anyways... has anyone ever had a problem with their apex pH probe? I'm pretty confident that the pH in my tank is right around 8.2, but the probe's readings tend to change every time my heater turns on...

13500392164_79f713f17b.jpg13500144085_df0607d79c_b.jpg13500054235_1c0971043e_b.jpg13500152603_e22d98c90c_b.jpg

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you get the Apex ph probe? I got the BRS brand probe and I am fairly confident that mine is working well.

Could you be getting stray voltage? I know people have mentioned that stray voltage in the water can effect ph probes.

Did you get the Apex ph probe? I got the BRS brand probe and I am fairly confident that mine is working well.

Could you be getting stray voltage? I know people have mentioned that stray voltage in the water can effect ph probes.

I've considered this, but it changes when anything in the tank turns on or off (e.g. heater, skimmer, return). I think it'd be weird to have stray voltage coming from multiple pieces of equipment. However, each of these pieces of equipment is hooked up to the PC8, so maybe that has something to do with it? I don't know. I'm not good w/ physics.

I think I'll put the pH probe in a glass of water tomorrow and see if it changes when I turn something on/off in the tank.

But yes, I have the Apex probe.

Actually.... maybe it is stray voltage from my heater. I just individually tested all of my outlets, and the pH plummeted when I turned on my heater. It didn't change for my return or skimmer.

Hm... looks like I'll need to buy a new heater. Maybe the stray voltage is what killed my pink and green mille?

Just kidding... it's not the heater.

I took out my pH probe and put it in a cup of tank water. I turned my heater back on, and the pH plummeted again.

hey man, i just saw the first page of the thread and i love the way its looking. I was just wondering if you had any problems with your angels picking at your coral. I've had a bicolor and lemon peel and both went nuts for my coral. I absolutely love the dwarf angels and was wondering if you had good luck with the flame backs.

hey man, i just saw the first page of the thread and i love the way its looking. I was just wondering if you had any problems with your angels picking at your coral. I've had a bicolor and lemon peel and both went nuts for my coral. I absolutely love the dwarf angels and was wondering if you had good luck with the flame backs.

Lemonpeels and Bicolors are notorious for destroying coral. While it usually depends on the individual angel, it's generally accepted that Cherubs and African Flamebacks have the best reputation for not pecking at coral. Coral Beauties and Flame Angels are usually pretty good as well.

I have seen mine peck at my SPS twice, but each time was because a polyp caught a cyclopeeze during feeding. They haven't caused any damage or reduced polyp extension, so I'm not too worried about them. I also keep them nice and fat.

However, they're still new to the tank (less than 2 weeks), so anything can still happen.

Lemonpeels and Bicolors are notorious for destroying coral. While it usually depends on the individual angel, it's generally accepted that Cherubs and African Flamebacks have the best reputation for not pecking at coral. Coral Beauties and Flame Angels are usually pretty good as well.

I have seen mine peck at my SPS twice, but each time was because a polyp caught a cyclopeeze during feeding. They haven't caused any damage or reduced polyp extension, so I'm not too worried about them. I also keep them nice and fat.

However, they're still new to the tank (less than 2 weeks), so anything can still happen.

cool, thanks for the reply. I've wanted a dwarf angel since i started up the hobby but just havn't had luck with them (probably for the reason you said, that the ones i was most drawn too are the worst for coral eating aha). Not sure if i should risk adding an african flameback or just accept the fact that i will have to wait till i do a fish only tank one day... ;)

13518552614_7cb5338a8e_o.jpg

Had to remove the pink and green mille today. But fortunately I have plenty of other frags to fill in the missing gap.

I think I'm done adding coral for the time being, so now we wait!

Sorry about the coral!!

Like your scape, my filled up with algae.

I used dry rock so no coraline algae yet, I am hoping some will come in soon to outcompete sone of the other stuff.

... Well... 5 days ago I said I wasn't going to buy any more coral. Today, I broke that promise. I may definitely have a problem.

13629141855_5997db0f51_o.png

I'm couldn't stand how empty my arch looked. Especially the bottom. Hopefully these will be the last of my purchases :blink: .

Have you done any more investigating into the ph probe issue? Maybe it is some kind of power surge issue or something? I'm reaching here... but ya. Very odd.

... Well... 5 days ago I said I wasn't going to buy any more coral. Today, I broke that promise. I may definitely have a problem.

13629141855_5997db0f51_o.png

I'm couldn't stand how empty my arch looked. Especially the bottom. Hopefully these will be the last of my purchases :blink: .

You only have a problem is you admit it. Never admit it!

Have you done any more investigating into the ph probe issue? Maybe it is some kind of power surge issue or something? I'm reaching here... but ya. Very odd.

You only have a problem is you admit it. Never admit it!

No I haven't gotten it fixed yet. I posted on the neptune forum, and everyone agreed that I would need to email customer support. I've just been too busy/lazy to email them.

On another note, I just witnessed my angels officially spawn for the first time tonight!

It was too dark, and I didn't want to risk startling them, so I didn't manage to get a video. I'll try to get one sometime this week.

That being said, it looked almost exactly like this video I pulled off youtube:

Pinner Reef

That is super kewl. I didn't even realize you had a trio of Flamebacks. I don't think I even read this thread since it's inception (pushes button)

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates?

Yea, sorry I've been pretty busy with school. Almost done though!

As a result, I've had to neglect the tank quite a bit. Unfortunately the STN continued without cause and took out most of my SPS. Surprisingly, all of my "delicate" (smooth-skinned) SPS are still doing fine, but most of the more textured acros are white skeletons. I've only gone 2 millie frags left. But as I said, the ORA Borealis, Red Dragon, Green Dragon are all doing well, and so is the Green Planet and Green Titan.

Another down side is that I've got a mild cyano outbreak that has been a persistent nuisance for the sand on half of the tank for the past two weeks. I just purchased some phosguard and chemiclean, so maybe that will help.

Also... I've been having problems with my heater. The Neotherm stopped working properly, and my tank dropped from 79 to 75 over the course of a day. I'm trying to work out the problem with Cobalt right now. I'm currently maintaining the tank with my water change heater.

But, on the plus side, all of the softies and LPS are doing great, the rocks are pretty purple w/ coraline growth, the angels continue to spawn every night, and now my shrimp have started to breed regularly too. And finally, about two weeks ago, the anemone finally started hosting the clowns.

I'll try and get the rest of the tank back in order once I'm done with school.

picoreef78

Sorry to hear that! Tough when weeks at a time are lost to work.

The tank will bounce back.

I have been struggling with mine to find out the hydrometer I was using was not calibrated well and my salinity was probably over 40 ppm.

Lost lots of fish, my red planet and seratiopora coral, and ops corals.

I have not been able to get coraline algae yet, planted coraline algae encrusted shells, and saw a small purple spot on the back of the tank.

Love to see an updated picture.

• 2 weeks later...

I would double check the temp sensor on the apex, mine suddenly drifted for some reason, it kept showing the temp about 2 degrees higher than actual. I checked it with 2 other thermometers, + the neotherm heater sort of has a thermometer (blinking led's) and it is definitely the temp probe in my case. Just something to check if you haven't already.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived