Innovative Marine Aquariums

Obi's Shallow Reef- Midas blenny and Pistol shrimp sharing den

BRADYBUNCH7

Guys I think it is hydroids :o

The frag is isolated but what do I do? There are about 15 individual small white things that branch out like a tree... IDK :angry:

If I stop feeding and do a extra water change will it starve them out?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome start so far! Don't want to downgrade you at all, but for 14 years old, you really have a nice tank going!

As for the hydroids, there are a couple different kinds. Can you post up a pic and I or someone else can help. If they are the colonial hydroids, then they may just disappear over time. But, if they are digitate hydroids then that is a bigger problem.(btw if they are digitates, don't touch them bare handed as they will sting you).

Tagging along.

Sorry can't get a pic at the moment! They are colonials I looked it up! Thanks so much!

P.s Your CAD 34 is so sick!

Awesome start so far! Don't want to downgrade you at all, but for 14 years old, you really have a nice tank going!

As for the hydroids, there are a couple different kinds. Can you post up a pic and I or someone else can help. If they are the colonial hydroids, then they may just disappear over time. But, if they are digitate hydroids then that is a bigger problem.(btw if they are digitates, don't touch them bare handed as they will sting you).

Tagging along.

Here is a link to how one guy dealt with colonials, although I would be careful burning them off if you decide to try that. I would, at the very least, wear some kind of respirator while doing that, and definitely do it outside. There are a number of things in our tanks, especially zoas, that can be very harmful to breath in if it is burned or boiled and made gaseous/airborn. I, personally, would give the epoxy or kalk paste method a shot first.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1201429

Good luck!

Sorry can't get a pic at the moment! They are colonials I looked it up! Thanks so much!

P.s Your CAD 34 is so sick!

Oh and Thanks.....it has had its ups and downs and is still a work in progress, but I am happy with it!

My LFS saw the frag and they said that the hydroids I have are harmless and they will go away! He is a very reliable source! Thanks for the help!

I have also heard that they could just go away on their own. I would still keep a good eye on them and make sure they do not start to spread to any other rocks/frags.

Water change time! How many times a month do you do water changes! I do 1 a week! :D

BRS 1/4 lid ordered! Hope it comes out nice!

I can now keep fish!

I've decided i'm gonna get

1. Gold Midas Blenny
  2. Wyoming White Clown
  3. Some goby! Any suggestions! Maybe a helefrich firefish goby?

I do one when, oh wait, I almost never change my water lol.

Be careful to pick the absolute healthiest fish, if sickly fish are in the tank I don't buy anything at the store.

Water change time! How many times a month do you do water changes! I do 1 a week! :D

BRS 1/4 lid ordered! Hope it comes out nice!

I can now keep fish!

I've decided i'm gonna get

1. Gold Midas Blenny
  2. Wyoming White Clown
  3. Some goby! Any suggestions! Maybe a helefrich firefish goby?

Love the fish selection you decided on. As for the goby, i throw my .02 cents to the yasha goby. that thing is stunning but so are your other two fish!

Make sure you cover the tank. Midas have a reputation of jumpers

For sure, I ordered the mesh lid from BRS it's coming this week!

I've heard more vegetation discourages jumping fish

how so?

For whatever reason they are more comfortable and less likely to be spooked, also many times they will swim through the vegetation. It does not ensure they never ever jump, but it makes the likelihood decrease substantially especially if there are good patches.

Archived