SaltCritters.com

Revamping My 40B (5 year old tank)

phoenix91

imagejpg1_zpsc3c2816e.jpg

Yay new sump tank :)

It was a bit tricky trying to get the sump tub empty and out but I managed and this tank will be filled tonight with 15 fresh gallons of water. The water I took out of the tub was a weird colour, like a greeny tinge to it. Already the leather has opened up a little bit so hopefully things are on the up.

On a sadder note by little fw betta fish looks like he's succumbing to old age. I have a small 10 g I use as a sort of rescue tank, when its empty I look for bettas in stores that will most likely be overlooked and die. I've and this guy over a year, he had no tail when I got him no was grey in colour. He soon grew a tail and Is a lovely blue with orange pattern. He's had a good run considering he would probably have died in a small cup a year ago. He probably will last a few more days, a week tops, of course I'm on vacation at the end of this week so I'll leave instructions for my dad in case he dies while I'm gone.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Back from vacation and everyone is still alive! My little blue betta is doing better than ever.

Thanks to the Black Friday/ cyber Monday sales I got new filters for the RODI system, new testing kits and a spanking new reef octopus skimmer. Yay! My parents also said they'd pay for the skimmer for Christmas, its set up in the sump now getting broken in. This tank will be back on its feet by the new year.

• Like 1

Back from vacation and everyone is still alive! My little blue betta is doing better than ever. Thanks to the Black Friday/ cyber Monday sales I got new filters for the RODI system, new testing kits and a spanking new reef octopus skimmer. Yay! My parents also said they'd pay for the skimmer for Christmas, its set up in the sump now getting broken in. This tank will be back on its feet by the new year.

:happydance: lots of awesome news!!!!!!
  • Like 1

Almost 3 weeks since the sump change and things are definitely picking up. The leather looks better than it has in months, the Duncan is opening and regrowing its tentacles. The acan's still lol awful and might not recover but I'm leaving them alone just to see.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/imagejpg3_zps133d6058.jpg.html'>imagejpg3_zps133d6058.jpg

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/imagejpg1_zps655f8324.jpg.html'>imagejpg1_zps655f8324.jpg

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/imagejpg2_zpsb51fe158.jpg.html'>imagejpg2_zpsb51fe158.jpg

I know there's a huge bubble algae outbreak, I'm trying to deal with it. I've started removing it but it's shocking how fast that stuff comes back. The red cyano is almost completely gone, just a tiny bit left in one corner. I need more cuc.

• Like 1

Your thread makes me want to get my sump reset. Things in my tank are not so happy at the moment... really think a lack of sump is the primary cause.

Your thread makes me want to get my sump reset. Things in my tank are not so happy at the moment... really think a lack of sump is the primary cause.

The only reason I redid the sump is because I've literally checked and done everything else. If my count is right this tank has had t lest 3 major crashes this year with deaths every time.

Maybe adding a sump will help your tank. I hope it does.

reefernanoman
Almost 3 weeks since the sump change and things are definitely picking up. The leather looks better than it has in months, the Duncan is opening and regrowing its tentacles. The acan's still lol awful and might not recover but I'm leaving them alone just to see.

imagejpg3_zps133d6058.jpgimagejpg1_zps655f8324.jpgimagejpg2_zpsb51fe158.jpg

I know there's a huge bubble algae outbreak, I'm trying to deal with it. I've started removing it but it's shocking how fast that stuff comes back. The red cyano is almost completely gone, just a tiny bit left in one corner. I need more cuc.

Maybe a few emerald crabs can help. Good luck.

• Like 1

I love your little cardinal fish :wub:. One day I want to have one, but not until the bangaii is gone.

Bubble algae is incrediby difficult to get rid of. My new plan of attack is using a scalpel to knock it off the rocks. Works amazing well without actually breaking the bubbles. Then I siphon out what I removed or net the bubbles after turning the flow back on. I do this every week with my water change. I'm slowly starting to see an improvement!

Maybe a few emerald crabs can help. Good luck.

I was thinking maybe some crabs might help, il see if I can add a few to my cuc order when I finally place it. Thanks!

I love your little cardinal fish :wub:. One day I want to have one, but not until the bangaii is gone.Bubble algae is incrediby difficult to get rid of. My new plan of attack is using a scalpel to knock it off the rocks. Works amazing well without actually breaking the bubbles. Then I siphon out what I removed or net the bubbles after turning the flow back on. I do this every week with my water change. I'm slowly starting to see an improvement!

Thanks, they're so cute. I think Bingley is trying to make friends with one of them, he's following it round and just generally being a pest, not in amen way though. Yeah, I had the bubble algae in the 20 g (and in the 3 sadly). I've noticed in the 3 with no nutrients that it's mostly okay if I siphon the bubbles out. They hardly come back or at least it takes ages. In the 40 I've been taking out the rocks I can and using tweezers to sort of pluck and scrape the bubbles off then scrubbing with a toothbrush. That seems to stop them in those rocks for a while. I also have a pipe that's just the right size to siphon the bubbles off the rocks. It's not such a bad thing just a bit ugly and annoying. At least it's not flatworms again.

• Like 1

Few more photos.

Nice and open Duncan after food. It's tentacles all melted away during the second crash I think and it hasn't shown much recovery since then but looks to be doing better now.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/imagejpg3_zpsfd1c66db.jpg.html]imagejpg3_zpsfd1c66db.jpg[/url]

Finally showing some polyps, it's been ages since I saw those. It also seems to be colouring up to green again too.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/imagejpg1_zps27a34f1b.jpg.html]imagejpg1_zps27a34f1b.jpg[/url]

One of the acan's is puffing up and eating, the others aren't quite there yet.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/imagejpg2_zps8987d5b6.jpg.html]imagejpg2_zps8987d5b6.jpg[/url]

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Almost 3 weeks with the new skimmer and it's finally breaking in, the gunk it's pulling out of the tank is crazy, I have to empty & rinse the cup everyday. It definitely looks like it's making a difference,the water looks cleaner, the corps look healthier and there's even some coralline growing on the glass & power heads.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/imagejpg3_zps50523c2d.jpg.html'>imagejpg3_zps50523c2d.jpg

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/imagejpg1_zpsab3de2b9.jpg.html'>imagejpg1_zpsab3de2b9.jpg

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/imagejpg2_zpsde03dbb4.jpg.html'>imagejpg2_zpsde03dbb4.jpg

I'm still working on the bubble algae but I need a slightly bigger tube, the one I'm using keeps getting blocked.

In the 3 gallon I found a tiny bit of pokerstar Monti in the bottom of the tank, I thought it was all gone so I've moved it up In to the light and it will hopefully colour back up.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Finally moved all the corals into the tank.

imagejpg2_zps9f5d7b93.jpg

The red Monticap needs to colour up a bit and I want to get one of those magnetic rocks to attach it to the side or back of the tank. I'm glad it's looking okay and it'll be interesting to see how it grows In this tank.

imagejpg4_zps6e9d5db2.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsac79a3e6.jpg

• 4 months later...

Tank is going strong. Corals are happy and I've had no more issues since the sump was changed out, I love the addition of a skimmer and wonder why I didn't do it in the first place.

image.jpg1_zpsn4bigd9l.jpg

Darcy is finally a girl, bigger and angrier, she's also made friends with Bingley which surprised me. The cardinals are huge now too. The bubble algae is almost gone, occasionally a few flare ups do happen but nothing too bad.

image.jpg2_zpsnazpaeam.jpg

The Duncan is doing great and the Devils hand has dropped off two fingers so I've got baby Devils hands :)

• 5 months later...

IMG_2327_zpski0jcizs.jpg

End of year update!

Not a very clean tank right now as i haven't really had time to give it too much attention. The green pocillopora let out a bunch of babies or something and there's tiny green sprouts popping up everywhere. The devils hand is massive and everything else is super happy. Some blue mushrooms appeared about 2 months ago and so far 5 have come up in one place, it's nice to see them again, i thought i'd lost all of them.

I got a controller over the black friday sales but so far i'm not impressed. I actually think my unit is bad, the language on the display keeps reading gibberish and it beeps at me for no reason. I've contacted BRS to help with the issues i'm having with it and hopefully can get a replacement unit, i really want to get my tank more stable and i think this will help but only if i can trust the device not to go nuts and dump RODI or dosing chemicals into the tank whenever it wants.

Next year: Hopefully some new fish, a guy in the local club who has amazing corals and such clean tanks has started to stock fish. I'm going to try and buy some new frags off him and get a new male clown and maybe a few more colourful additions.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

IMG_0017-1_zpstae3of6e.jpg

IMG_0014_zpspoh78fhy.jpg

IMG_0012_zpsmqxmxz7t.jpg

IMG_0008_zps0xaisg5o.jpg

IMG_0007_zpsugzhprj5.jpg

IMG_0024_zpsrfwtngq2.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsqq0mminp.jpg

Testing out my new phones camera today and got some colorful shots :)

I replaced the reef keeper with an Apex Jr, so far i love it, its really been easy to set up and use. I'm going to add losers to it over the next few weeks to make my mornings a little easier. I'm also heading out to a local reefers house on saturday, if he lets me i'll take some photos of his tanks, they are amazing. His coral is so vibrant and healthy! I'm only going to browse but might pick up a few small pieces if his prices are right. He's got fish too but i won't be adding any until the end of February, i'll be away from home too much in the next few months and feel like i won't be able to keep an eye on new additions so it'll have to wait until i am home more.

• 4 months later...

Sadly a few weeks ago i came downstairs to find Darcy on the floor next to the tank, i have no idea how she managed to jump out of the tank, the lid is on and the eggcrate covers all the gaps; the only thing i can think is she went through one of the holes in the egg crate. Very sad, that fish was my favourite and around 5 years old :(

My tank is looking very sparse right now. I'll be making an order in the net few weeks to get 2 new clowns, i'm going for misbar clowns, 3 more pj cardinals and a goby of some kind. Updates with photos will come soon.

I haven’t been updating this thread for quite some time, I can’t actually believe how old this tank is now. I’m revamping my 40B with a new 40B, this sounds completely stupid but I do have a good reason.

this tank and this set up has been nothing but a pain in my butt for the last few years, the overflow gurgles no matter what I do, this tank has gone through 2 major crashes and only the most hardy corals survived. I’m over having a sump to be honest, and I’ve got a small leak that I can’t find somewhere on the main tank (I suspect the bulkheads or the bottom pane of glass, I’ve had one of those crack before and when it goes it’s not fun). 

So, I bought a new 40B, I’m going to DIY it into an all in one tank. I have to replace the top piece of wood on my cabinet because it has water damage from the leak so now the right time to do that and replace the tank. The new 40B arrived today and I have my plastic ready to go to make a section to hold all the equipment and filters. 

this is my tank as it looks today. I’m super happy with how well the corals are growing but I do need to clear out some and change out for some new pieces, but one thing at a time. 

7CF72E99-496B-41AE-86D2-C1CC0A6E380A.thumb.jpeg.131c2069d7376cf3db6c37f3be4bdf55.jpeg

The paper towels around are to soak up the leaking water so it doesn’t ruin the carpet. I’ll post pics when I have the new tank prepped and ready to move, I also have to find a new countertop. I want to eventually sand down and restrain the cabinet because honestly I hate the color.