Innovative Marine Aquariums

Revamping My 40B (5 year old tank)

phoenix91

Hi Mark,

Alk didn't drop too low, it was stable throughout. I've been testing twice weekly because i've been moving corals around 3 different tanks so i've tested to make sure nothing was moving too much.

Hmmm. I did add flatworm exit to the 3=40 b maybe 3 weeks ago, i saw 3 flatworms and siphoned them out and did a treatment to catch any i'd missed. If there were any, they would have been minimal, i've been putting all corals from the 20 into a 3 g, treating them in there and then moving them after about 6 weeks into the 40. A few flatworms have made the move but i've siphoned them out. I haven't seen any at all for weeks in the 3 or the 40.

I tested both the tank water and the freshly mixed salt water, the test was higher in ammonia for the freshly mixed water and 0 in both the 3 and 40, it was slightly higher than 0 in the 40 because i've changed the most water in that tank. It was at 0.25 in the freshly mixed water. I am using api test kit so who knows how accurate it really is. I am using RO/DI water, filters were all changed in march or april.

Everything seems to have perked up since i threw out the old salt so maybe it did have some contaminate in, whether it was in before i opened it or something has happened to it while i't been in my garage i don't know. I'm still using reef crystals but from a new bag, so hopefully everything is on the mend and will recover.

I think even the hammer looks a tiny bit better, it's not putting out gross white stringies anymore and doesn't look like a skeleton yet so i hope it will recover with time.

• 2 weeks later...

The tank is recovering. The hammer is getting flesh back and as far as i can tell only 4 or 5 heads actually died; it's been funny to watch the recovery, the flesh is fluffy and out when the lights are out but when they come on it withdraws. I suspect it's a bit light sensitive while it's in recovery mode.

The duncan is also almost completely recovered, i thought i had lost the 3 adult heads and the 4 babies had survived but the adults have slowly opened back up and look like they won't suffer any permanent damage.

Also, cardinals might be the stupidest fish i've come across; feeding them is a challenge, they either don't see very well or are just incredibly stupid. So far they're eating frozen but they either don't see pellets or are ignoring them. When they get put in with the others they best learn to take whats given and be quicker about it, Lizzy will eat everything in sight and these stupid cardinals might well starve.

• Like 1

Cardinals are stupid, mine just killed it self by weging itslef between the heater and glass. Mine would only eat freeze dried and frozen foods. Never heard of any eating pellets or flakes.

The tank is recovering. The hammer is getting flesh back and as far as i can tell only 4 or 5 heads actually died; it's been funny to watch the recovery, the flesh is fluffy and out when the lights are out but when they come on it withdraws. I suspect it's a bit light sensitive while it's in recovery mode.

The duncan is also almost completely recovered, i thought i had lost the 3 adult heads and the 4 babies had survived but the adults have slowly opened back up and look like they won't suffer any permanent damage.

Also, cardinals might be the stupidest fish i've come across; feeding them is a challenge, they either don't see very well or are just incredibly stupid. So far they're eating frozen but they either don't see pellets or are ignoring them. When they get put in with the others they best learn to take whats given and be quicker about it, Lizzy will eat everything in sight and these stupid cardinals might well starve.

Cardinals are stupid, mine just killed it self by weging itslef between the heater and glass. Mine would only eat freeze dried and frozen foods. Never heard of any eating pellets or flakes.

Good to know (btw, sorry about your fishy), i've got a good frozen blend that they go nuts for and my other fish like too so hopefully they'll get something to eat when everyone is finally in together.

• 2 months later...

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/photo12_zpscd345a9b.jpg.html'>photo12_zpscd345a9b.jpg

Sad day in my house, I went out for maybe half an hour and when I got back I found Lizzy on the floor by the tank. The tank has a glass lifted but there's a gap that runs along the back and I guess she was flipping around at the surface of the water like she did and flipped too much. I feel bad that I wasn't here to pick her back up and pop her back in the tank, if only I hadn't gone out.

photo12_zpscd345a9b.jpg

Sad day in my house, I went out for maybe half an hour and when I got back I found Lizzy on the floor by the tank. The tank has a glass lifted but there's a gap that runs along the back and I guess she was flipping around at the surface of the water like she did and flipped too much. I feel bad that I wasn't here to pick her back up and pop her back in the tank, if only I hadn't gone out.

Ugh :( Soooo sorry. Hope you are feeling better :grouphug:

Thanks. :grouphug:

I still feel kind of sucky about it, i've lost fw fish before to old age and in some cases disease but she's the first sw fish i've lost and for suck an idiotic reason.

I'm sort of unsure what to do with my other clown Darcy, i can't decide if i want to leave him a while and let him become a female and then go get a really small occy to keep him (her) company or if i want to go ahead and get a new clown now and let them decide among themselves. I would qt the new fish but i don't know if the qt period is enough time for either of them to become female, i'm really not sure how long it takes. I would hate to accidentally end up with 2 females in the tank.

Aside from that Bingley has been very cagey since his gf died. He's been hiding a lot and when he's not hiding he's trying so hard to hang out with Darcy who really wants nothing to do with him. It's quite sad to see. They had an odd friendship and he'll miss her most i think.

The tank is doing good though. I've got it through the odd crash period it had and it seems to be settling down somewhat. I still have a 3 g full of sps just sitting waiting and growing until the 40b is ready for them. The tank has a touch of red slime algae so i need to maybe change where the power heads are or get a new smaller one for a while to add some flow.

• Like 1

Thanks. :grouphug:

I still feel kind of sucky about it, i've lost fw fish before to old age and in some cases disease but she's the first sw fish i've lost and for suck an idiotic reason.

I'm sort of unsure what to do with my other clown Darcy, i can't decide if i want to leave him a while and let him become a female and then go get a really small occy to keep him (her) company or if i want to go ahead and get a new clown now and let them decide among themselves. I would qt the new fish but i don't know if the qt period is enough time for either of them to become female, i'm really not sure how long it takes. I would hate to accidentally end up with 2 females in the tank.

Aside from that Bingley has been very cagey since his gf died. He's been hiding a lot and when he's not hiding he's trying so hard to hang out with Darcy who really wants nothing to do with him. It's quite sad to see. They had an odd friendship and he'll miss her most i think.

The tank is doing good though. I've got it through the odd crash period it had and it seems to be settling down somewhat. I still have a 3 g full of sps just sitting waiting and growing until the 40b is ready for them. The tank has a touch of red slime algae so i need to maybe change where the power heads are or get a new smaller one for a while to add some flow.

I would be tempted to find a replacement right away but even just one clown is enjoyable to have. I had a b/w female that was quite content being on her own.

Oh....I bet your SPS is getting big in that 3g!!!! How are the spongeodes doing? I finally picked one up but it's a pretty slow grower so far. It's spreading out rather than growing up. And full of polyps. I can hardly see the pretty green on it.

I would be tempted to find a replacement right away but even just one clown is enjoyable to have. I had a b/w female that was quite content being on her own.

Oh....I bet your SPS is getting big in that 3g!!!! How are the spongeodes doing? I finally picked one up but it's a pretty slow grower so far. It's spreading out rather than growing up. And full of polyps. I can hardly see the pretty green on it.

I'm out of town next week so i'll head to the lfs after i get back and see about a replacement. I would ideally like to qt for a while, maybe a month or so but really need to find out how long it generally takes for clownfish to change sex. I wouldn't mind just having the one female, once Darcy gets bigger (s)he'd sure be a pretty female fish.

Ahh well, i had another slight issue with the sps in the 40 and was unable to save the spongeodes, it was sad because that was doing really well. In the 3 g i have the big red monti cap and several monticap frags, i have the poci colony which is doing great, i also have a pretty nice piece of war coral which is in there as qt from the 20g since it's the last coral i salvaged from that tank. I don't think i managed to save much else, the sps didn't do well at all in the 40, every bit that was in there died including some pieces of monti cap. The LSP and leathers are loving it though so i guess for now that's the direction the tank will take.

• Like 1

My girl clown flips a lot too, I think she's hit the plastic guards on the back a few times now. Sorry for your loss. :(

She used to do it a lot in the 20 and i had plastic egg crate to stop her flipping into the back compartment (which she did a few times) but in the 40 it has the glass cover, okay there was a small gap at the back but i didn't imagine she would fit out the gap by splishing around. Live and learn i guess. She'll be missed, my poor damsel is heartbroken and swims around looking for her. He's tried buddying up to the male clown who isn't having any of that nonsense.

Like the 40! Looking good.

Thanks. It's finally getting straightened out and settling down. I'm leaving it to do it's thing for the rest of the year and then i think in the new year i'll get new corals and such and make it pretty again.

I'm out of town next week so i'll head to the lfs after i get back and see about a replacement. I would ideally like to qt for a while, maybe a month or so but really need to find out how long it generally takes for clownfish to change sex. I wouldn't mind just having the one female, once Darcy gets bigger (s)he'd sure be a pretty female fish.

Ahh well, i had another slight issue with the sps in the 40 and was unable to save the spongeodes, it was sad because that was doing really well. In the 3 g i have the big red monti cap and several monticap frags, i have the poci colony which is doing great, i also have a pretty nice piece of war coral which is in there as qt from the 20g since it's the last coral i salvaged from that tank. I don't think i managed to save much else, the sps didn't do well at all in the 40, every bit that was in there died including some pieces of monti cap. The LSP and leathers are loving it though so i guess for now that's the direction the tank will take.

LPS and leathers will be great! I was holding a war coral for someone recently...those are gorgeous! Glad you were able to salvage that one :).

I really like the leathers, i think in the new year i will place an order with PEA and get some, they had a pink cabbage leather that looked awesome.

I've had the war coral ages, from a tiny frag. It's great and is bright red and getting a fairly good size. I can't wait until it is de-bugged and can move to the 40 now that's settled down.

• Like 1

I really like the leathers, i think in the new year i will place an order with PEA and get some, they had a pink cabbage leather that looked awesome.

I've had the war coral ages, from a tiny frag. It's great and is bright red and getting a fairly good size. I can't wait until it is de-bugged and can move to the 40 now that's settled down.

Are they really aggressive? That's the only thing that has stopped me from getting one. The short time I had it, it was very well behaved. But I've heard stories :scarry:

Are they really aggressive? That's the only thing that has stopped me from getting one. The short time I had it, it was very well behaved. But I've heard stories :scarry:

The war coral? hmmm. In the 20g it was on a shelf all by itself so i never really got to see it interact with any of the other corals. I think they do put out quite long sweepers and can sting/consume other corals. In the 3 g it's on the bottom shelf right next to some monti frags and everyone is still alive. It's been there a few weeks now with no issue. I think if they feel they are being encroached on they will attack other corals but don't they all do that?

• Like 1

My mag pump did an odd thing last night. I had it turned off to do a WC and when i turned it back on nothing happened. I took it apart and cleaned it and plugged it back in, it did start up but now it's making a strange clicking noise. This wouldn't normally be an issue but i'll be out of town this weekend so i really hope it just keeps running until i get back. I've given my dad instructions about what to do if it stops or the sounds get worse. I haven't had it long, less than a year so i'm going to get in touch with the store i bought it from and see what they say; aquarium equipment really does suck all of the time.

If you turn off the pump and turn it back on does the clicking stop? I have some powerheads that do that sort of thing. Make racket but if I unplug and plug back in (sometimes takes a couple of tries) the sound goes away. Maybe it needs even more cleaning out?

Seems like stuff always happens right before we have to go out of town too. At least you have someone there to keep an eye on things for you :).

I didn't want to risk unplugging it again in case i upset it and couldn't get it to turn on again. It was hardly dirty, a little film on the impeller shaft but not much else. It's in the sump where there is literally nothing, no snails or anything, and i use the strainer and cover on the inlet so nothing has gotten in. I've had pumps work that were chock full of starfish and polyfill and they were fine.

It almost sounds like the magnet is wonky, like it might be hitting the side of the chamber when the impeller is going around.

Luckily my parents have agreed to come take care of my cats twice a day and i've left instruction for dosing and feeding the fish; i feel a bit bad for my poor parents though, my little cat has been ill for a few days, she gets like that has bouts of being sick and such and she's not better yet so they'll be dealing with an angry tiny pukey mess. Poor them.

I hope it works through the kink whatever it may be. Sorry about your kitty. One of mine has episodes too and she's just getting over one. Hers is a constipation problem that results in vomiting too. She's 18 and really starting to show her age now. Not in looks, but in actions. Definitely not fun stuff.

I hope it works through the kink whatever it may be. Sorry about your kitty. One of mine has episodes too and she's just getting over one. Hers is a constipation problem that results in vomiting too. She's 18 and really starting to show her age now. Not in looks, but in actions. Definitely not fun stuff.

I'm back from my trip and both tanks are fine, the 40b still has the odd clicking from the pump so next time i do a WC i'll take it apart again and see if something is loose. I'm also going to aim to clean the valve on the return which is going to be a pita but it looks grimy and nasty so needs doing.

My kitty has always been on the small and sickly side; she never acts ill when she's having her episodes of vomiting. Sometimes i think she does it just to annoy me. She's been impacted a few times and has had many trips to the vet with her vomiting. Sadly she now has a ptsd like association with the vet office and any vets so i have to have someone come out to the house to see her. We've been sort of banned from the local office due to her extreme behaviour. She still hates the woman who comes tot he house so we make it as infrequent as possible and i treat her myself. She's only 10 so she's got years of this to come YAY!

I'm back from my trip and both tanks are fine, the 40b still has the odd clicking from the pump so next time i do a WC i'll take it apart again and see if something is loose. I'm also going to aim to clean the valve on the return which is going to be a pita but it looks grimy and nasty so needs doing.

My kitty has always been on the small and sickly side; she never acts ill when she's having her episodes of vomiting. Sometimes i think she does it just to annoy me. She's been impacted a few times and has had many trips to the vet with her vomiting. Sadly she now has a ptsd like association with the vet office and any vets so i have to have someone come out to the house to see her. We've been sort of banned from the local office due to her extreme behaviour. She still hates the woman who comes tot he house so we make it as infrequent as possible and i treat her myself. She's only 10 so she's got years of this to come YAY!

Glad to hear the tank made it through :). Ugh...sounds like you have it even worse than us with the kitty issues.
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm fed up with this tank, i was almost ready to throw in the towel and tear down the whole thing yesterday. It's going through another round of mysterious bleaching and death. I checked everything known to reefing and man yesterday and everything is stable and normal and i was at a loss. However, looking at how this tank has been since set up i have noticed it goes through periodic cycles of being fine and then death. I think the sump tub might be leaching toxins into the water, it's the only real explanation i can come up with. So i've got new water cooking ta home, i'm taking a half day (i hope) from work and going to find a replacement sump tank. It should be an easy switch out of the tub and the new tank once the sump is empty.

If a new sump doesn't alleviate the problem i'm done.

My 20 g rigged piece of junk, pest infested tank of horror was more successful than this thing! I knew without a doubt that whatever i put in that tank would live, this 40 g is a tank of death, not only has it killed over 80% of my coral population i also lost a beloved fish.

I still have sps sitting in a 3 g and they're thriving and doing much better without any filtration and with hardly any flow. I can't put them in the 40g, i just know that if i do they'll die.

I've got another week away from home starting Thursday and i fully expect to come back to a completely dead tank. I just hope the changes i make today will either stop that or at least keep the fish alive. I could do fowlr for a while. Even the leathers which are pretty hardly are looking crappy. poor corals :(

Yeah, that's what i'm planning to do today. I'm thinking 20 long so that i can fit it in nicely and still have a good volume of water. I'll be able to see if there's any changes over about the next month and go from there.

Thanks, it's frustrating especially since the 20g i upgraded from was such an easy tank and i only upgraded because the coral was outgrowing the space it had.