ReefCleaners.org

Revamping My 40B (5 year old tank)

phoenix91

Everything is moved out of the tank except the fish. Most of the corals are in qt and seem to be settling down. The Mille didn't make it and the pink birdsnest is stn-ing which I'm not sure how to stop. I've tried cutting affected branches and gluing tissue. It's not doing any good. I think the stress of whatever was in the tank has affected it beyond repair.

Corals I've lost so far:

Green aspera

Forest fire digi

Pokerstar Monti

Green Mille both the small colony and small frag.

So all in all not too bad really. I tried to frag the Mille to save it but the frags died too.

The tank is up to temp and the new heater should be here today, also coming today: a new power head, ca test kit and some prime.

Sorry to hear this. I thought I was through the problems in my holding tank until I saw my Hawkins Echinata frag was experiencing tissue loss. I'm wondering if I dipped the SPS too long when transferring. It seems to be mainly my acros that suffered.

Good luck and hang in there!

Thanks, you too. I dipped mine too, how long is too long? I did about a 15-20 minute dip when I transferred from my qt to display, just in case any flatworms decided to hang on.

I think that's too long. I did a Bayer dip on the first few and left them in 10-15 min. The latest were in 4x strength Coral Rx for 15 min. Softies and LPS (except chalice) were fine. SPS not so much. I'm out of town for a week so I don't know about the latest dip except the Hawkins was looking bad when I left. I bought some Revive which is meant to be fine with SPS. Most people recommend not dipping or 5 minutes from what I've seen recently.

ooops, i should have said i was dipping in FWE, not coral rx. I added a little bit of coral revive towards the end of the dip.

Good news! I found a small frag of pokerstar on a little piece of rock that had fallen down near the base of the rock in the 20g. I think i glued a tiny stick i accidentally knocked off ages ago to this tiny piece of rock and it was knocked out of view and i forgot about it. Well, it has encrusted and now covers the tiny rock. YAY i have pokerstar monti once again! Also, all the corals in the QT and the 20 are showing no signs of necrosis.

• Like 2

I've managed to rescue the clowns from the40b which seems to be going through another huge cycle, ammonia is creeping up despite water changes and nitrate is up at 10. I've run out of salt but have more on order to I thought it best to pull the clowns from the tank and pop them back in the 20 until this tank settles down. There's still a mushroom. Coral floating round In there which I plan to use as my indicator for all being nice and happy again. (Along with testing of course)

Also thanks to the quite frankly alarming generosity of a local reefer my tank will e bad ass when it's finally up and going. He read on the local forum about the RTN and tank woes and emailed me to say he'd donate a few pieces. Well I went to meet him at lunch time and he turned up with this massive box stuffed full of coral. I can't even imagine how much it would cost to buy to be honest but he would a take a penny.

There's a Hollywood stunner chalice with more eyes than I counted, at least 10 probably more like 15. 3 head Duncan frag. 2 lots of zoa frags but I'm not sure what they are yet until they open up. An acan with 3 heads. A replacement forest fire digi frag (I bought my last one from him at the end of march at the local swap). A pretty little acro frag. And 2 others thn I'm not sure what they are. Far too generous if you ask me.

I can't wait to take photos of them in this tank, I'll never get good pics of them in qt, the tanks too gross to do them justice.

Wen I released the clowns back into the 20 I wish I had had my camera in my hand, Bingley and Lizzy might be the cutest fish in the world. They've been in different tanks for over 3 weeks and they were so happy and excited to see each other. They wiggled at each other and danced and now they are practically pressed together in the corner. It's such an odd fish friendship, the clown and the blue damsel.

• Like 1

Awww..that reunion sounds so sweet :wub:.

That is soooo awesome about the local reefer donating all of that!!!!!

It was, i though maybe they'd get hostile since they've been apart and damsels can be mean sometimes but it was so sweet; they're swimming around all happy!

It's amazing, i can't quite believe how much stuff he turned up with. I managed to get some photos of some of it.

The cute acro, the red thing (not sure what it is, i'm about to email and ask him) and you can sort of see the acan

wmffL5H.jpg

The middle zoas are the competition zoas, still going strong! the 2 to either side are the ones i received yesterday, i believe sunny d's and something else ( i don't know zoa names)

oWDWX62.jpg

The duncan, which needs to be in more flow, and the green something (again, not sure but i'll ask him) to me it looks like a crazy cactus and i like it.

RBlDNPR.jpg

Replacement forest fire :wub: and the bird of paradise, the bottom was getting stn but i managed to stop it by gluing the flesh which is why t's looking a bit not great around the bottom of it right now.

Oh, and the mille colony that died apparently left me a little surprise. I found a tiny piece of it in the bottom of the 3 g, almost hidden under the eggcrate. Not sure if it'll survive but here's hoping.

UZ5jvLp.jpg

When the corals finally grow and such i plan on paying it forward to other members of the local club and giving out some frags.

• Like 1

I have confirmation of what they all are. The red is in fact setosa and the green is ORA spongodes.

WOW! Very nice frags!!!!! I've always loved the spongodes.
  • 4 weeks later...

The 40 is back to running smoothly. I've been testing since it had issues and everything seems to be holding steady now. I moved a few corals over the other day and things are looking great. I'm hoping to get a few more moved over and then start removing things from the 20 into the 3 g qt.

I found one of the mushrooms i'd moved into the 3 really liked it in there and expanded massively. I started a new mushroom cave with it. Also ignore the horribly attached acans, i'm going to bury that rock so only the colonies are sticking out.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/photo54_zps173186b5.jpg.html'>photo54_zps173186b5.jpg

The new duncan is already sprouting a new head :D It's a bit hard to see but it's there.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/photo55_zps71e4f7a4.jpg.html'>photo55_zps71e4f7a4.jpg

I've decided the 3 fish can stay in the 20 until all of the corals i want moved are out and into the 40, then i will catch the 3 fish together and move them all into the 40 at once.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished with school for the summer so I can finally get this tank whipped into shape. Did some routine stuff tonight, WC on all 3 tanks and I will test tomorrow. I also moved the devils hand from the 20 into the qt tank; I thought it was going to be such a hard job, maybe I'd have to cut the coral, maybe I'd have to smash the rocks so I prepared for everything. It turns out that once out of the water and quite mad leathers will let go of rocks. It was attached to 2 separate rocks and I just put a bit pressure on it and pulled it away from each rock separately and away it came. After a dip in fw exit and revive its now unhappily sitting in the qt tank, it really hates its life right now but will perk up soon.

I'll upload new hoots in a few days once I find my photobucket password again.

• 3 weeks later...

My tank has gone through another round of sudden coral death. I've tested and retested. Nothing is out of whack. Ca and mag are a bit high but not alarmingly so and yet sps, lps are angry and dying. The leathers and acan's are fine but everything else is annoyed. I don't understand it.

It started about 2 weeks ago, around the time I opened a new bag of salt so I'm going on the assumption that I got a bad bag; I tested the o,d salt mix and ammonia was present in the fresh salt, I've change d out all the salt, cleaned all the containers it was held in and done a WC. I'll do another in a few days.

So far I'm thinking that whatever survives this round of death will be the direction I take my tank. So far the leathers are winning, so. Might end up with a dedicated leather tank.

Some before and after photos of the tank and some corals

Most recent fts before the issue, nice healthy corals all growning.

Side shot showing the hammer, 20 + heads i think

Red monti cap during the issue (it looked worse but i didn't have the heart to photograph it)

and this morning looking like it's recovering and getting colour back, i did have to break off the edges which had completely bleached

and now for the kicker... the large hammer

during it's worst, spewing it's guts i think

and today in the 3g qt. It's hard to see but it's withdrawn but no longer spewing. I think i can see flesh still, like i said it's hard to tell, but until it is just a bare skeleton it gets to stay.

It looks like the 2 large duncan heads might be done for but the 3 baby heads it has grown since it's been with me are putting out tentacles so i think that will make it.

I don't have a fts from today as the lights weren't on before i left for work.

• Like 1

Ugh...so sorry to read this :(. That poor hammer. I hope it makes a comeback. Glad the monti is getting better...it's sooo pretty!

Well, an all leathers tank isn't the worst thing. They are one of my favorite corals :).

Hopefully things start turning around for the better and then stabilizing. Hugs!!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Gena! Leathers are my favourite too, i love my devils hand and if i could find a fiji leather and a big toadstool to fill out some space i could put mushrooms and zoas in the gaps, it would be colourful at least.

Plus i learned an important lesson, always test fresh salt when opening a new bag/tub, things have definitely picked up since i threw out the bad salt and done more wcs.

I'm glad the monti is looking better too, i do have a few small frags of that just in case because it's such a nice addition.

Aside from the coral death the tank is fine, levels are all normal so i bought a few pj cardnials that are in qt and will go into the tank once i know they're disease free.

Thanks very much! It's still not finished i need to change out the door hinges as the ones i bought have bent slightly under the weight of the doors.

Since it's been a bit doom and gloom around this thread lately i thought maybe some photos of my happy corals would brighten it up a bit.

(ignore the half dead twig in the background)

Looking much better :D

Fluffy and happy! The devils hand it almost finished shedding and will fluff up in a few days i think.

The war coral is still stuck in the 20g, i'll have to chip it off the big rock when i tear that tank down.

• Like 2

Hi Vicki,

Has your alk been fairly stable through all of this? Monti's will start to rapidly lose tissue if alk drops too low, and you mentioned high calcium, which made me wonder.

Any flatworm treatments or major flatworm dieoffs, anything like that?

You mentioned finding ammonia in new saltwater. The test is probably inaccurate. You use RO/DI or some other 0 TDS source water?

Glad to see everything looks to be on the mend!